Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Hannah, I can't believe you missed the alternate ending. I think you would have liked it more had he included that scene. I'm sure it'll eventually make it online, if I find it anywhere I post the link in here.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've read LULLABY and SURVIVOR, as well as one of the stories in HAUNTED.

Sounds like I need to go find CHOKE and INVISIBLE MONSTERS, although someday I want to actually read FIGHT CLUB since the movie is so good.
    I'm a chuck nut!!!!!
    Patrick, did you read "Guts" from haunted? You gotta cross your legs when you read that.
    This book is one of my all time faves, i am a bit nuts here.
    I have 9 signed first and chuck has written or drawn something really cool about each story . i want to have a signed collection complete one for each of the 23 stories......Chuck thinks i'm nuts but I think he is too so hey...

Anyway, Haunted was all joined into the one story because Chucks publisher said that short story books don't sell, so he then attached all the stories with the crazy writers theme, which is OK but each one of those stories are very brilliant on their own and can be read as such.

If you dont have time to read all of Fight Club at once (wow if you think the movie is good...the book is genius) An interesting note is that the 9 or so pages that are chapter 6 in the book is the original short story that appeared in a short story collection called PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. Chuck was encouraged to go and make it into a book by the publisher. It is very interesting to read that on its own now.

The same thing was "survivor" 6 page short story that appeared in "STORY" spring 1997...if you can find either of these softcover wraps you are sitting on some serious real estate....

All chuck's books are great, and I can't wait to get my hands on the new one PYGMY....

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I will say Guts didn't really gross me out much. Makes me wonder about my ick tolerance.

Haunted does kind of have a cumulative effect overall...by the time I was 3/4 through it I could not read and eat lunch at the same time, which for me is saying a lot.

I still have a STACK of Chuck to read. So far I've loved the ones I've read.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Have you read Rant yet?
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope, not yet. So many books, so little time. *sigh*

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Rant is my favorite of his by (okay, maybe not so) far.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Finished Invisible Monsters. I loved it. It was just one twist right after another. Pure Palahniuk.

Citizen of Gilead Darkmaniscoming is on a distinguished road Darkmaniscoming's Avatar

who's got a PYGMY ARC? Anyone??

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Chuck's new book, Pygmy, is out in stores today!

I'm getting my copy after work!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Lullaby recently. VERY good book!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Lullaby is amazing

I was just at the libabry, put pygmy on hold
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

I can't wait to pick up Pygmy!!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh my god!!! I need to get me to a bookstore!!!!!!!!!
    Spoiler:
    AAAHHHHH!!!!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just read an article online talking about Chuck's new book, Tell All, scheduled for a 2010 release:

In a recent audio interview Chuck did with KPBS, while on the road promoting his latest novel "Pygmy", Chuck openly talked about his next novel. In fact, Chuck revealed that, while caring for his mother last year, he actually wrote three novels! The one which is going to drop in 2010 is called "Tell All" and if you thought Chuck couldn't get anymore original and daring... think again.

The plot: The novel will feature Lillian Hellman, a real life playright. She is best known as Dashielle Hammet's lover and the writer of the controversial film "The Children's Hour" which featured Audrey Hepburn and Shirley McClain as lesbians. According to the interview, Chuck wants to reinvent her as a "larger than life Super Hero" and talk about her incredible life and exploits, as she wrote about them in her memoir "An Unfinished Woman". .

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that could go anywhere.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Pygmy arrived yesterday from Amazon. Very cool book design. I had a good chuckle at the back cover

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I did too, Pablo. I liked the eye gouge one.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmaniscoming View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I've read LULLABY and SURVIVOR, as well as one of the stories in HAUNTED.

Sounds like I need to go find CHOKE and INVISIBLE MONSTERS, although someday I want to actually read FIGHT CLUB since the movie is so good.
    I'm a chuck nut!!!!!
    Patrick, did you read "Guts" from haunted? You gotta cross your legs when you read that.
    This book is one of my all time faves, i am a bit nuts here.
    I have 9 signed first and chuck has written or drawn something really cool about each story . i want to have a signed collection complete one for each of the 23 stories......Chuck thinks i'm nuts but I think he is too so hey...

Anyway, Haunted was all joined into the one story because Chucks publisher said that short story books don't sell, so he then attached all the stories with the crazy writers theme, which is OK but each one of those stories are very brilliant on their own and can be read as such.

If you dont have time to read all of Fight Club at once (wow if you think the movie is good...the book is genius) An interesting note is that the 9 or so pages that are chapter 6 in the book is the original short story that appeared in a short story collection called PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. Chuck was encouraged to go and make it into a book by the publisher. It is very interesting to read that on its own now.

The same thing was "survivor" 6 page short story that appeared in "STORY" spring 1997...if you can find either of these softcover wraps you are sitting on some serious real estate....

All chuck's books are great, and I can't wait to get my hands on the new one PYGMY....
    Oops, it's been a while since I was in this thread. Since that original post, I have read all those I mentioned, plus SNUFF.

Today I started PYGMY. I'm still early in the story, but it's true Chuck P. fashion. I'm digging it.

Here's my copy:

(and some PYGMY promo stickers.)

"...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Soooo flippin' cool Patrick. Did you go to one of the stops on the Pygmy book tour for the signatures?

I really wanted to try to see him this year, but completely forgot about it. Guess I'll have to wait for the next book.

Did you get to meet him Patrick? How was it?
    I love the new av/sig combo by the way

Gunslinger Apprentice Disincarnate is on a distinguished road Disincarnate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone finished Pygme yet? How is it?

I havn't read a book by him in a while. I read a vast majority of his books one after another a few years ago. Big mistake. I found that his writing style is so similar in every book that you get sick of it after a while if you read too much of him at one time.

Other than that I love me some C.P.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi!

Thanks, Erin and Heather. To answer your earlier questions:

No, I have not met Chuck P. I wish I had. If you know an author is on a book tour and you find out what bookstores he or she will be visiting, you can usually call one of the bookstores and they'll get you a signed book. Doesn't work with Stephen King much, but typically will with other authors.

I also picked up an inscribed 1st edition of SNUFF at the same time.

Disincarnate: I finished PYGMY. I really liked it. Love to hear opinions from other readers though.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

I know St. Helen's Bookshop always has Chuck stop by to inscribe books for people. I ordered Snuff through them last year, but forgot to get my preorder of Pygmy in before he came . I'm hoping he'll swing back by so I can get one.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

my library copy of pygmy just came in and I'm in the midst of reading it
    Its really quite mind boggling
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Heather, that's the store that I went through. Hope you get yours soon!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast