+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think I just got lucky. I started a new account two days ago.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well I've learned if it's a new release, to send back the movies a few days before the release date because they'll actually send them out the day before so that it arrives to you on that day. I'm just hoping it won't be that long of a wait.

Let me know if it's any good.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Will do!

I'm assuming that being a new customer also moves you to the top of the "get what you want" list - once the free trial's over I doubt I'll be so lucky.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Actually they're very good. Before netflix I belonged to Blockbusters version, and they always had stuff on long waits, whereas I've rarely seen that with Netflix. It's usually just the recent releases right as they come out. They've also got a much larger selection, and have had pretty much everything that I've been looking for. I think you'll like it.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

So far, so good. I'll let you know once I install my TiVo.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Just saw Choke last night. Excellent! It stuck really close to the book and I thought it was really well done. Some of the scenes in the colonial town were hysterical. Two thumbs up!

Oh, and I just sent my copy back to Netflix today, so hopefully one of you can scam it now.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Good to hear Dags. And thanks for returning it quickly because it's at the top of my queue.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine too!
    I'm glad to hear it was good, I was worried they might butcher the film.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

They did gloss over the whole thing with the rocks, but I can see why they did. That would take awhile to explain on film. It's probably quite similar to the comparison of Fight Club with the book - I think overall it was done really well.

And the actor that plays the guy in charge of Colonial Dunsboro is freaking hysterical.

Dags likes = sounds promising.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'm glad you value my opinion!

Seriously, though, if you liked Fight Club I think you will like Choke as well. The styles are very similar.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I may just wait until some industrious pirate puts it on youtube and then watch it
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I did not hear that.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Daghain. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll look for the DVD.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I was a little put off by the movie. Choke is my favorite Chuck book, and I was expecting the movie to be a little more ... substantial.

One of my biggest complaints about Chuck's books is that he makes it very hard for the reader to care about the characters at all. The characters are almost all written with the same "voice" and they all seem to be very emotionless and indifferent to life, as if they're all mini-sociopaths running around getting into weird situations and trouble and such.

Choke
    is my favorite Chuck book because I found myself really liking the characters in the book, and that's hard for me to do on his other books. So I expected the movie to be a little bit less indifferent to the characters than you'd usually see with Chuck's writing and I was disappointed to find the movie was a little bit on the neutral side. The characters weren't fleshed out enough (imo) but the movie iteself stuck very true to the book (except as Dags said about the rocks). Sam Rockwell did a very good job as Victor Mancini, and Angelica Huston (sp?) was good too. I was a little surprised with the guy who played Dennie - as he was nothing like the character was described in the book.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    One of my biggest complaints about Chuck's books is that he makes it very hard for the reader to care about the characters at all. The characters are almost all written with the same "voice" and they all seem to be very emotionless and indifferent to life, as if they're all mini-sociopaths running around getting into weird situations and trouble and such.
    That's how bears feel, too.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    That's how bears feel, too.
    I may be part bear. Is this possible?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Of course! And such a sweet, cuddly, pretty bear you are!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We watched the movie last night. I thought it was pretty good, and quite faithful to the book. It's not the kind of film I'd watch repeatedly as I do Fight Club, but Choke isn't the kind of book I'd read repeatedly like Fight Club either. Overall I thought it was well done and considering I typically hate adaptations, that's saying a lot.

Well I finally got around to watching the film the other night, and I have to say I was a little disappointed with it. It was fairly accurate to the book, but I just felt like it was missing something. That's not to say I hated it though. I love Sam Rockwell, and thought he was the perfect Victor Mancini. Angelica Huston, and Kelly Macdonald were both excellent in the film as well. The only casting I didn't care for was Denny, and I think that was only because, like Hannah said, he was completely different from how I had pictured him in the book.

Did you guys watch the deleted scenes at all. The one thing that really bothered me was the only stone portion. They really did gloss over it, and I can kinda understand why. But they did put part of it into the film, and then just forgot about it. The deleted scenes contained an alternate ending, which actually showed the stoning and confrontation with Victor and everyone who had saved him. It brought some conclusion to that aspect of the story, so I'm really wondering why they chose to cut this scene from the film. I thought it would have made the film more complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    And the actor that plays the guy in charge of Colonial Dunsboro is freaking hysterical.
    He also wrote and directed the film!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, the stone thing...I think it would have taken too long to explain it, so they left it out. I missed the alternate ending...damn!

I tried searching online for video of it, but can't find it anywhere. It was a nice little scene that added some closure to that part of the story. I'm still confused as to why the director chose to not include it. It just makes no sense to me. It was only about 3-4min long so it couldn't have been a time issue.

I also watched the interview with Clark and Chuck on the bonus features, and Clark makes a comment to Chuck about how when he got the rights to the film Chuck told him to do whatever he wanted. Chuck laughs and corrects him, saying that he said as long as you include the stoning you can do whatever else you want with the film. Seems he didn't listen.

My Mood
    Amused

I watched that too. I didn't catch the alternate ending though. Damn! I already sent the movie back too.

Heather, it seems we are pretty much in total agreement on this movie. Everything you said was pretty much exactly how I felt about it.

Gunslinger Apprentice theyspunaweb is on a distinguished road theyspunaweb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just bought Choke, and I really thought they did a good job. I haven't watched the alternate ending yet.
    "The wise are not wise because they make no mistakes. They are wise because they correct their mistakes as soon as they recognize them."
    -Orson Scott Card

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast