+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chuck Palahniuk Thread

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I just finished reading Pygmy, and loved it!

I'm not exaggerating when I say that it's one of the best novels I've read this year.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I just picked up the paperback copy of that.

I think your recommendation just moved it to the top of my list.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm about halfway through fight club. I love the book! Long time fan of the film, but just got around to reading the book. I wish the book had him meeting Tyler in an airplane and not at the beach,
    my one complaint.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Survivor and I'm starting Invisible Monsters. Chuck's voice is amazing, I love the way he writes.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a copy of Invisible Monsters but haven't read it yet. Let me know what you think of it - I think Survivor is my favorite so far.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Cody, have you read Lullaby yet? I'd highly recommend that one.

And Daggers, definitely check out Invisible Monsters. It's not my absolute favorite, but I really enjoyed it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished reading Survivor (the first Chuck book I've read) and am curious to hear some thoughts on the ending. I thought it was pretty straightforward, but apparently it's not. I took it to mean that
    Spoiler:
    Tender died as the plane crashed, the last sentence cut off because of the impact.
    Though, Chuck says
    Spoiler:
    "The end of Survivor isn't nearly so complicated. It's noted on page 7(8?) that a pile of valuable offerings has been left in the front of the passenger cabin. This pile includes a cassette recorder. Even before our hero starts to dictate his story -- during the few minutes he's supposed to be taking a piss -- he's actually in the bathroom dictating the last chapter into the cassette recorder. It's just ranting, nothing important plot-wise, and it can be interrupted at any point by the destruction of the plane.

The minute the fourth engine flames out, he starts the cassette talking, then bails out, into Fertility's waiting arms (she's omniscient, you know). The rest of the book is just one machine whining and bitching to another machine. The crash will destroy the smaller recorder, but the surviving black box will make it appear that Tender is dead."

I love the ending that C.P. meant for it to have and had it been more heavily hinted at, it could work (I might've actually liked that better) but since there doesn't seem to be enough evidence in Chuck's favor, I have to disagree with him...even though he wrote it.

Thoughts?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm right there with you. I didn't see that at all, and had you not posted that up in the other thread, I never would have known.

It DOES make for an interesting ending, though. Maybe there will be a sequel! That's one of Chuck's characters I wouldn't mind seeing again.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Very creative. I think Chuck meant it tongue-in-cheek and that the ending we assumed to be true, is.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It is interesting to think of that as the ending, but I think there's just too much to infer on the reader's part for it to be true. Like you said Daghain, who would think of that themselves unless someone else brought it up?

On another note, any recommendations for his other novels? I'm leaning towards Choke or Invisible Monsters.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Lullaby or Fight Club Ricky

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Choke

although I'm afraid I still haven't finished it..............

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately, the ending of Fight Club has been spoiled for me.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

So do you not want to read the book now because of that? I read the book after I saw the movie and still thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit different from the movie though.

What books of his have you read?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Unfortunately, the ending of Fight Club has been spoiled for me.
    it's ok, you would have guessed very soon anyway

Did you not like that one Jean?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    So do you not want to read the book now because of that? I read the book after I saw the movie and still thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a bit different from the movie though.

What books of his have you read?
    Well, I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but knowing that the "twist" is kind of central to the story, it'd probably take some of the enjoyment out of reaching the destination, rather than looking forward to seeing how everything plays out.

And Survivor is the only Palahniuk book I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    it's ok, you would have guessed very soon anyway
    That obvious, huh?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

I thought yes.

Also, in my opinion, if you've read one book by Palahniuk, you've read them all. Since this opinion isn't shared by anyone, it doesn't have to be taken into consideration.

Maybe you should try his short stories, as collected in Haunted [kind of novel]. They are slightly different from the rest. At times.

Country
    Country Flag

You know, I actually got that impression from reading him and reading the various plot synopsis of his novels. They all seem to have the same "formula." Then again, I haven't read enough of his work to criticize, but I definitely understand what you're saying, and in part, agree with you.

Maybe I'll try another novel, then move onto the short stories.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I thought yes.

Also, in my opinion, if you've read one book by Palahniuk, you've read them all. Since this opinion isn't shared by anyone, it doesn't have to be taken into consideration.
    I can agree with the bear, mostly. You have to really like Chuck's voice in his stories, because it's generally the same. I do like his little "side trips", though, like the cleaning tips in Survivor and the names of all the muscles in Diary. I guess it's like reading something you're familiar with, like a well-loved book, only you get a little bit of a different story.

As for Fight Club, read it anyway. It's still really good.

I'd recommend Diary. If I have to pick between Choke or Invisible Monsters, I'd go for the latter. They're both good, but I just finished Invisible Monsters and it's pretty darn twisty.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone read Chuck's recently released new novel, TELL-ALL?

I have an inscribed first edition, but haven't read the book yet.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Has anyone read Chuck's recently released new novel, TELL-ALL?

I have an inscribed first edition, but haven't read the book yet.
    I read it a few months ago. Overall I enjoyed the story, but I thought he went a little heavy with all the Hollywood name dropping. It was just a little too much. I can't wait to hear what you think of it

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Pygmy looks interesting, anyone here read it?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast