Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

Gunslinger Apprentice Disturbed Angel is on a distinguished road Disturbed Angel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoy Dean Koontz - I regard him as easy reading.
    When I want something to read but am not in a place (either mentally or physically) to give it too much concentration I read one of his!

Although the Odd Thomas series doesnt fall into that catergory

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The last one I read was "The Husband" not nearly as good as "Velocity" but okay.

I kind of consider his books like a Die Hard movie. Not much story but engaging enough for the price.
    I read velocity. Only koontz i ever want to read. I couldn't stand it! I didin't like the writing, or the characters, or the story! Last night i had trouble accesing this site, so i googled stephen king forums. Just to get an SK fix. I foudn one that were proclaiming such blasphemies as "Swan Song is loads better than the stand" and Koontz is way better than king" i just don't get it.

When I was a kid I didn't like reading. Kootz made me love reading. I was hooked on his books however before that I had read once in a blue moon.
    That's similar to me, except with King. prior to king i read childrens fantasy. HP and the like. King broadened my horizens completely. I may find other writers better than king, but king will stil be my fav simply because it was with his stories that the world opened up for me.

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry about the bad Velocity experience, I thought it was pretty fun in a popcorn kind of way.

However, he'll never be King.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

indeed Matt, King is King , and Koontz is well not.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice BeDaN is on a distinguished road BeDaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Thoughts on "Odd Hours"

I'm a fan of the Odd Thomas series, I loved the first book, the ending almost brought me to tears, "Forever Odd" was my favorite. But it seems as the series progresses it's kinda getting boring. I finished reading "Odd Hours" about a week ago and I'm deeply dissatisfied, seemed very short and the ending just left you kind of bleh. What are your thoughts?

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved the first one also. THe second one was alright but i think it went downhill from there.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the concept was/is fine but 'ole Dean ruined it with vanilla writing after the first book.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read the first one and loved it too.

Then, I read the second one. It was good but lacked something. Haven't picked up that series since.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i like his old stuff. watchers, strangers, phantoms (which i'm listening to now).

dark rivers of the heart wasn't bad but it was extremely predictable.

ticktock was fucking great (a nice light funny tale - very different from his usual stuff).

the door to december was okay. but again, it was so predictable.

false memory was fucking horrible. i hated it with every fibre of my being and didn't even listen to it until the end.

it just seems to me that in the past ten years or so he's been writing the same story over and over and over again (excluding the odd thomas books). man or woman finds dog. dog saves man or woman. man or woman and dog go on the run from someone or something. man or woman meets another woman or man and fall in love. couple and dog triumph in the end and live happily ever after.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I am reading Odd Thomas right now.
    It's my second shot. First time when I tried to read it I couldn't go on after 70 pages. I restarted it and now I am on page 110 so I hope I can finish it this time.
    The characters are too unique and too perfect so it's hard to think of them as real people. That's the truth. But it's his style and I was in love with it as a kid.

Roland would have understood.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Odd Hours felt like half a book. I'd like to read the other half - whenever it comes out.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i like his old stuff. watchers, strangers, phantoms (which i'm listening to now).

it just seems to me that in the past ten years or so he's been writing the same story over and over and over again (excluding the odd thomas books). man or woman finds dog. dog saves man or woman. man or woman and dog go on the run from someone or something. man or woman meets another woman or man and fall in love. couple and dog triumph in the end and live happily ever after.
    Agreed with all this, Turtlesong. Like Disturbed said, I like reading Koontz when I'm in the mood for something light. Koonts is like a Hershey bar and King is like a five course meal.

His stories are just too black and white for me. His good guys are always really good, and his bad guys are always so bad you can't relate to them at all. You can usually sympathize with SK's bad guys, (at least a little) whereas most of Koontz's seem to either be sociopaths or just plain assholes.

Koontz also has a Frankenstein series that's pretty good, but it's not finished yet. In fact, he was supposed to release the third one LAST September...::taps foot::

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Gunslinger Apprentice Old Man Splitfoot is on a distinguished road

I love Koontz, but not for reading. I love the fact that he always seems to put a book out around Christmas and Mother's Day, and since he's my mom's favorite author, it makes shopping for those two holidays almost painfully easy.

As far as reading his stuff goes, meh. Lightning and Watchers were great, but lately, his stuff is just fluff. All his characters are so plastic, processed, and perfect. They don't seem human to me at all; even their flaws seem unreal.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But why does he write about such perfect people? If only I could ask him. Would he like to be such a person? Or would he like to have such friends?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I found Velocity to be the best of his new ones.

Velocity was awesome.

I also didn't mind Intensity and From The Corner of His Eye. I've expressed my thoughts on the Odd Thomas series already on the forum so I won't get into that

Country
    Country Flag

Odd fans, please help me.
    I am fighting with Odd Thomas like a pig on the ice.
    I am in page 161 and it's... so damn hard to go on. Shall I close it forever? I can't stand it when I can't finish a book.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my dear friends

this thread is shortly going to be merged with the existing Koontz thread

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I don't mind. I asked for help here because it's just about the Odd books. But I don't mind to get help anywhere else.
    Thank you, anyway.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I am in page 161 and it's... so damn hard to go on. Shall I close it forever? I can't stand it when I can't finish a book.
    I'd say go for the finish line. It does get a lot better my friend.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BeDaN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I'd say go for the finish line. It does get a lot better my friend.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Folk read Dean Koontz? Did I miss the memo?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

I liked book 1 and 2 but the last 2 didn't really capture me. And I agree with Patrick, Odd Hours really felt like half a book that didn't want you to read the other half.

Demon of the Prim Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose is just really nice Lost Rose's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have the first three on audio books and have been debating about Odd Hours. Love some of DK's writing but..he should have stopped with the first one...

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Odd Hours, and I can honestly say I wasn't impressed. I felt I had to, though, because I've read the other three.

Little side note: I've also been re-reading The Dark Tower, and was in the middle of The Drawing of the Three. I put it down and took time to read OH because the library was wanting it back. One evening I picked up OH and had somehow blocked the fact that I was reading Dean Koontz, because I started reading expecting Stephen King and got Dean Koontz instead. It was like the mental equivalent of taking a drink expecting a good wine and ending up with Pepsi. It was really weird!

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by KaLikeAWheel View Post
    I just finished Odd Hours, and I can honestly say I wasn't impressed. I felt I had to, though, because I've read the other three.

Little side note: I've also been re-reading The Dark Tower, and was in the middle of The Drawing of the Three. I put it down and took time to read OH because the library was wanting it back. One evening I picked up OH and had somehow blocked the fact that I was reading Dean Koontz, because I started reading expecting Stephen King and got Dean Koontz instead. It was like the mental equivalent of taking a drink expecting a good wine and ending up with Pepsi. It was really weird!

Donna

Wow, that was the best analogy for this thread EVER.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast