Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    I read a bunch of his books.

Seems like he just changed up character names and minor events from book to book and kept releasing more or less the same story under different names.

At least, they all felt the same.
    Exactly, and he's not the only author I've read who seemed to have done that. Clive Cussler was another.
    It's stressful being an other. ~ Juliet

I believe there ought to be a Constitutional Amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. ~ Crash Davis

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I was given a copy of this book for Christmas, and havent been able to get to it....perhaps because a copy of Duma Key is keeping my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    The Last Evening of the Year....that's it! Thanks.

I've had it recommended to me several times in the past week. I just may have to check it out!

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems like he just changed up character names and minor events from book to book and kept releasing more or less the same story under different names.

Yes, absolutely but it's not bad. There are people who love it and don't mind or notice it at all.
    As I child I was hooked on his books. Now they can't touch me at all. But I will be always thankful for him.

Roland would have understood.

The Doctor's Daughter Mist_on_the_Water is on a distinguished road Mist_on_the_Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

Yes, absolutely but it's not bad. There are people who love it and don't mind or notice it at all.
    As I child I was hooked on his books. Now they can't touch me at all. But I will be always thankful for him.
    yes'm that's my argument. I don't really notice it. I think hwta people decide is the same story over and over is the fact that there's simply always some sort of mystery or possible tragedy in is books, and it always ends up with a twist or a crazy ending, but if you really think about it, doesn't every story have the same general feel to it? I mean what makes a good story? Conflict, right?

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is exactly how I feel about his books.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post

This is exactly how I feel about his books.
    same here. i liked it at first, but it gets old fast.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

But, he is very approachable. A really nice human being.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

that's cool at least.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mist_on_the_Water View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

yes'm that's my argument. I don't really notice it. I think hwta people decide is the same story over and over is the fact that there's simply always some sort of mystery or possible tragedy in is books, and it always ends up with a twist or a crazy ending, but if you really think about it, doesn't every story have the same general feel to it? I mean what makes a good story? Conflict, right?
    It's not a problem if you don't notice it moreover, it's good.
    How many books have you read by him?
    I think I read more than 20 during a very short time. So everything was given to notice it after awhile. But I didn't mind it at that time.

The Doctor's Daughter Mist_on_the_Water is on a distinguished road Mist_on_the_Water's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

well I haven't read that many just yet, but I've read 6 of is plus Strange Highways, a collection of short stories he wrote. I've started a few others and plan on reading many more (I have a list)

but what I have read and heard about those I haven't I've never noticed that sort of similrity. That and I don't read them all in a row, I skip from author to author all the time.

Unofficial Doctor Who Obsessor Club Created by IR:
    IR
    Razz
    Woofer
    Ves'Ka Gan

I can haz fourum gamz
    Sing Your Heart Out!

Country
    Country Flag

Believe it's better if you can't see it.
    For my part I used to look for those similrities because my mom told me that if a writer is very popular it can happen that he hasn't got enough time to write so many books so others write books under his name... I was about 13 at that time and I felt worlds fell down in me.
    So I looked for the similrities to be sure he wrote the book I was keeping in my hand.
    Yeah, I was silly.

Country
    Country Flag

yuck..talk about a beamquake..;

Unofficial Doctor Who Obsessor Club Created by IR:
    IR
    Razz
    Woofer
    Ves'Ka Gan

I can haz fourum gamz
    Sing Your Heart Out!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have truly loved some of Koontz stories. Recently, I enjoyed the heck out of Velocity.

I think his characters seem so similar because the are all basically afluent white folks from California.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

And to tell you the truth there are too many good and unique (or somehoiw perfect) people in his stories. It might sound stupid but that's why his stories or books aren't so life-like to me. But again it's not a problem but that's how I see it.

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've only read The Husband and really enjoyed it. After reading through this thread I will probably put the Odd series on the reading list. Thanks guys!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

They are really good. I also liked the Husband. Try "Velocity" too, its really good. I have yet to check out his new one.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I think there is a time & place for these books.....

The answer is within

i agree linda, the ones i read before i realized they were all the same book were fairly enjoyable reads at the time. it was koontz' writing itself i grew tired of, not the individual stories, some of which i'm sure are good reads.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For those of you that like the dog aspect of Koontz's writing...he is back in full force with his newest book. "The Longest Night of the Year" not only has a dog on the cover (golden of course), but I'm on chapter 3 and have already met 4 special dogs.

I think the ratio is higher than ever before!!

My Mood
    In Love

:LOL: Someone gave me that book not long ago, I made it to about page 12 and gave up.....But to be honest I may have had Blaze or something come and just put all down in favor of SK.

The answer is within

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I can sure understand that, I always do the same.

This is one of those things you see on the shelf at the library and think..."why not?"

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I think I've only ever picked up 1 of his books. I read most of it, and had about 30 pages or so left and for some reason just put the book down and never finished reading it. I have been curious to check out some more of his other books sometime though.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I think Koontz is a good choice if you would like to read something good but light but not too light. I hope it makes some sense.

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Whispers and that turned out to be pretty decent. It had a really interesting twist. But, then I tried to read Dark Rivers of the Heart and could only get about a third of the way through. Since then I have not even tried another one even though my father-in-law gave me about six of them.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'll never forget the time I was riding in the work truck, a big paneled beast with doors that could be left open.

I was reading Strangers.

My dad hit the brakes, I had kind of dozed off, and the book fell out the door to explode in a snow of pages.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast