Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I have told you as a child I was in love with Kootz books.
    Here is a shelf of mine:

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Del Rey Manga, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced that it has acquired the an original graphic novel starring Odd Thomas, one of Dean Koontz’s most memorable and beloved characters. The charismatic young fry cook from Pico Mundo, CA, has appeared in three New York Times bestselling novels: ODD THOMAS, FOREVER ODD, and BROTHER ODD.
    A graphic novel featuring my favorite Koontz character, Odd. It sounds like a cool idea. I also like the fact that's it's going to be a prequel to the first book.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by VolsToTheWall View Post
    Del Rey Manga, an imprint of Ballantine Books at the Random House Publishing Group, announced that it has acquired the an original graphic novel starring Odd Thomas, one of Dean Koontz’s most memorable and beloved characters. The charismatic young fry cook from Pico Mundo, CA, has appeared in three New York Times bestselling novels: ODD THOMAS, FOREVER ODD, and BROTHER ODD.
    A graphic novel featuring my favorite Koontz character, Odd. It sounds like a cool idea. I also like the fact that's it's going to be a prequel to the first book.
    This sounds interesting. Hope they do a good job with it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping the script writer they have working on it does a good job. I hope it manages to stay true to Odd's character, his unique sense of humor and so forth.

Along the Path of the Beam LadyGan is on a distinguished road LadyGan's Avatar

When I was a teenager, I was a fan of Koontz. The only book I can recall is Icebound and I tought it was really good. I haven't read any of his newer stuff.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yeah, I'm hoping the script writer they have working on it does a good job. I hope it manages to stay true to Odd's character, his unique sense of humor and so forth.
    Exactly. I hope Koontz takes a "hands-on" approach to the writing.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read one of his books for a friend and didn't like it. I tried another one a few years later and couldn't get into it or pretend I liked it. Sorry, Koontz fans.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    I read one of his books for a friend and didn't like it. I tried another one a few years later and couldn't get into it or pretend I liked it. Sorry, Koontz fans.
    I still think you're cool Deaner.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Geener, you're still cool in my book, too.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

So is this the thread for King fans to come out of the closet and admit they read Dean Koontz?

If so, I must confess I have read Velocity. My Mom said it was good and nagged me until I read it. It was very good.

When she first handed me the book, I gave her a look like she should have known that giving a Koontz book to a King fan is like giving a crucifix to a Jewish person.

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

The Odd Thomas and Frankenstein books are very enjoyable.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frunobulax View Post
    I still think you're cool Deaner.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    So is this the thread for King fans to come out of the closet and admit they read Dean Koontz?

If so, I must confess I have read Velocity. My Mom said it was good and nagged me until I read it. It was very good.

When she first handed me the book, I gave her a look like she should have known that giving a Koontz book to a King fan is like giving a crucifix to a Jewish person.
    For my part my heart is big. There is enough space for many many authors.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cuthbert Allbad is on a distinguished road Cuthbert Allbad's Avatar

Best Koontz book to me was Watchers. After reading that i always wondered about my own dog. Even passed it onto my son (tick-tock boy) and he loved it.

Trouble with Koontz books is that i've read soooo many over the years i cannot keep all the titles straight.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That one was really good. The original smart dog.

I remember thinking it was a hell of an original story.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Have you realised that Kootz always puts a beautiful intelligent dog in his works? He can't write a book without it..

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cuthbert Allbad View Post
    Best Koontz book to me was Watchers. After reading that i always wondered about my own dog. Even passed it onto my son (tick-tock boy) and he loved it.

Trouble with Koontz books is that i've read soooo many over the years i cannot keep all the titles straight.
    That was the very first book I read from him. I loved it and it read it 2 or 3 times.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The next one is "Kill Me Instead" or some shit, that sounds interesting.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The next one is "Kill Me Instead" or some shit, that sounds interesting.
    It's actually called The Good Guy, the "Kill me instead" thing is just from a picture of a note that's on the cover. It's a quick, easy read. It's one of those Koontz novels that's entertaining, but forgettable once you're done with it. I enjoyed it, but I doubt I will be in a hurry to re-read it. I guess I'd put it in with his middle of the pack books.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, that's good to know. Thanks man

Along the Path of the Beam MaraJShakespeare is on a distinguished road MaraJShakespeare's Avatar

It has been quite a while since I've read one of his. He was getting a bit too formulaic for my taste, after Intensity, which was the last really good Koontz novel I read, in particular. Dark Rivers Of The Heart is a great novel; all of Koontz's skills and unique strengths are on display in that one. In my estimation, it's his either his best book or close to it. Lightning is good, as are Twilight Eyes, Strangers, Night Chills; in general, his late '70s-mid '90s output was pretty good. I basically stopped reading his new work around the turn of the century; I don't remember what was the last Koontz novel I read new, only that it was at least 6 years ago.
    We place no reliance
    Upon virgin or pigeon;
    Our method is science,
    Our aim is religion!

-Motto of Aleister Crowley

John F. Kennedy flair is on a distinguished road

"Watchers" was one of the first novels I ever read, and came around the time I was getting into stepehen king. My aunt was big into both, and I mooched books off of her as much as I could. Great book. I read a few others in that time but forget the titles. I need to pick up at least Watchers and maybe a few others to revisit him.

Country
    Country Flag

I must say Koontz can be the first step to Stephen King.

Anyway my biggest problem with Koontz (I might have mentioned it before in that case I'm sorry) is that his characters are too good. Almost perfect. 90% of his characters are unique good-hearted and valuable.
    That's too much for me. Not life-like enough.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I agree with the above.
    It is a good stepping stone into King writing, but Koontz's characters all seem perfect, no substance

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I have told you as a child I was in love with Kootz books.
    Here is a shelf of mine:

I like the yellow chickens ;P
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast