Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorites are Servants of Twilight, Phantoms, Intersity, Midnight, Mr. murder, and Icebound.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that the endings are way too abrupt. I can't wait to get to the Odd Thomas books, but I'm trying to read all his books in roughly publication order so I have a long way to go.
    In Digitized Remorse

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone hasn't read it yet, get in to Watchers. It's awesome!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    My favorites are Servants of Twilight, Phantoms, Intersity, Midnight, Mr. murder, and Icebound.
    Of these, I only read Intensity (Lady Linda, whom I miss like forty thousand brothers could not, sent me the book a few years ago), and though I loved the story and the ending, the writing bored me immensely. I would have written Koontz off as a very poor writer if my next hadn't happened to be Dark Rivers, which is brilliantly written - and so is Odd Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Fall of Gilead View Post
    I agree that the endings are way too abrupt. I can't wait to get to the Odd Thomas books, but I'm trying to read all his books in roughly publication order so I have a long way to go.
    I am afraid this is approach has a fatal flaw: Koontz has written a shit ton of books, and they are dramatically uneven.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    If anyone hasn't read it yet, get in to Watchers. It's awesome!
    This will be bears' next Koontz, then! After this, the books on Browning's list.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I am afraid this is approach has a fatal flaw: Koontz has written a shit ton of books, and they are dramatically uneven.
    Agree on both counts. The guy releases what seems to be four books a year, and the small handful I've read thus far are vastly different in tone. I think the next one in my line is Shadowfires.
    In Digitized Remorse

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

After this, the books on Browning's list.
    I am afraid you won't like the others. When it comes to Koontz, I'm in it for the story. I couldn't care less about the writing itself. He just has a way of drawing you in, and before you know it, you're at the end. Literary style points are for other writers.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really mean style. I mean - well, hard to define, but I tried to give examples here

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

When it comes to Koontz, I'm in it for the story. I couldn't care less about the writing itself.
    I'm usually the same way but I fall out of the story pretty quickly when he starts describing plants and trees that I've never even heard of. He seems to do this a lot and it's hard to have a picture in my head when I don't know what they look like.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

bears are ashamed to confess, but they just skip such descriptions...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished Hideaway. Highly recommended. Psychopathic villain, a normal family in trouble, elegant (yes, you read it right) writing and some truly poignant moments. There's one flashback scene when the father is holding his dying son in his arms and he feels his last breath...oh man, that was HEAVY.

It's not all cutesy niceties, when Koontz turns his terror on, he really turns his terror on. Broken bottle to the face two dozen times.

Five stars.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hideaway is in my top 6 Koontz books. Very good story.

Country
    Country Flag

Watchers was very good. Sweet, moving, tear-jerking, - Koontz at his best. Loved it.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Watchers was very good. Sweet, moving, tear-jerking, - Koontz at his best. Loved it.
    Glad to hear you took my recommendation, and even more pleased to hear you loved it.

Country
    Country Flag

yes, thank you! bears would be grateful for another recommendation, since Koontz has written such an awful lot, and so unevenly

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Odd Thomas comes out on DVD tomorrow. Supposedly it's faithful to the book.

Amazon has a trailer up. It looks cool: http://www.amazon.ca/Odd-Thomas-Anto...rds=odd+thomas

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh cool, didn't realise the DVD was available so soon... Guess I'll be downloading that soon. Sweet!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I'm on book 3 of his Frankenstein series. The first book was interesting and I thought it started pretty well and was looking forward to the next book.

The second one he seemed to rush a bit. In the story, everything seemed to start going wrong all at once for no discernible reason at all. I expected a little more build-up.

Now in the third one he keeps going over things that were explained in the first two books numerous times. He even devotes 2 or 3 pages describing an entire scene that happened towards the end of book 2. It's almost like he's trying to get the reader up-to-date on things rather than just assuming the reader had already read the previous two books.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Finished Shadowfires and it was okay, if a little overlong. Genetic science gone mad. I enjoy reading his little afterwords at the end of the books.
    In Digitized Remorse

Along the Path of the Beam Roden will become famous soon enough

I'll have to check out some more of his work, only read Phantoms.. Anything similar to that?

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I really liked phantoms. Others I really liked are Midnight, Servants of Twilight, and Intensity. There are quite a few that I liked, but those really stood out for me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Along the Path of the Beam Roden will become famous soon enough

I really liked phantoms. Others I really liked are Midnight, Servants of Twilight, and Intensity. There are quite a few that I liked, but those really stood out for me.
    Thanks! Good to be part of a well-read community

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roden View Post
    I'll have to check out some more of his work, only read Phantoms.. Anything similar to that?
    I would also recommend Strangers.

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Strangers is pretty good.
    In Digitized Remorse

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I recommend Funhouse, Whispers and Icebound.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I recommend watching the old miniseries of Intensity. Watching Dr Cox from Scrubs as a psycho is awesome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast