Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Dean Koontz--I know, but why not?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I especially love the beginning of Phantoms. That has to be one of the spookiest ever!

John

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't recall it specifically, but I was looking back at this thread today, and saw you post the same thing awhile ago. It must've been really spooky.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Read it and see!

John

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished The Mask. What a ride! If this falls under the "old school Koontz" umbrella, then I need to spend more time exploring his older works.

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    re-reading Dark Rivers of the Heart now; it is a book incredibly well written. Loved it when first read, and adore it now.

Within one page:

"If the numbers had been descending, Roy might have thought that he was watching a countdown toward a detonation. A bomb. Of course, no cosmic law required that a time bomb had to be triggered at the end of a countdown. Why not a countup?"

"He loomed at Roy's side - abnormally tall, armored, and armed, as if he were a basketball player from some future society in which the game had evolved into a form of mortal combat."

The whole book is fantastically quotable, which isn't something I ever saw in any other Koontz book. Moreover, it is witty, intelligent, moving, - altogether awesome. Here is an excerpt:

His face felt hot. He glanced at Rocky.
    He had just lied to the dog.
    Long ago he had sworn never to lie to himself. He kept that oath only somewhat more faithfully than the average drunkard kept his New Year’s Eve resolution never to allow demon rum to touch his lips again. In fact, he probably indulged in less self-delusion and self-deception than most people did, but he could not claim, with a straight face, that he invariably told himself the truth. Or even that he invariably wanted to hear it. What it came down to was that he tried always to be truthful with himself, but he often accepted a half-truth, and a wink instead of the real thing—and he could live comfortably with whatever omission the wink implied.
    But he never lied to the dog.
    Never.
    Theirs was the only entirely honest relationship that Spencer had ever known; therefore, it was special to him. No. More than merely special. Sacred.
    Rocky, with his hugely expressive eyes and guileless heart, with his body language and his soul-revealing tail, was incapable of deceit. If he’d been able to talk, he would have been perfectly ingenuous because he was a perfect innocent. Lying to the dog was worse than lying to a small child. Hell, he wouldn’t have felt as bad if he had lied to God, because God unquestionably expected less of him than did poor Rocky.
    Never read Koontz but your quote made me want to give it a try.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Maybe it's just me but many of his endings seem a little abrupt to me. It's like the bad guy is killed, the girl falls in love with the guy and everyone lives happily ever after all within the last 20 pages or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I read Dean Koontz and have for years. His stories are entertaining, but they do have to have a happy ending (as so many before me have noted).

My main problem with Koontz is that his characters never quite feel real to me. They do not quite seem fully fleshed out and 3D. Few of his good guys have flaws, real flaws, and I feel this ties in with the happy ending issue. The combination makes his stories less poignant and more forgettable than, for example, a typical King story.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Bad points.
    1. Extremely formulaic, Good guy (usually a cop or military man) saves damsel in distress. (You know exactly what you are getting into with a Koontz novel)
    I just finished reading Whispers for the second time. Wasn't really a bad story but the three comments above fit perfectly. Abrupt happy ending with a nearly flawless cop saving the damsel in distress.

I happened to read the afterword and found out they actually made a movie based on this novel. Haven't been able to find out much online except that most people though it was awful.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For those of you who enjoyed Phantoms, have you seen the movie with Ben Afleck? So bad you'll enjoy it too lol.

Watchers is one of all time favourite books of all time. If there was a signed limited of it, I'd pay anything for a copy.

I've found that Koontz' recent stuff seems very similar. A lot of his earlier books seem to have been a bit more thorough, complex, in depth etc. I enjoy his later stuff still, but as mentioned earlier in this thread, they are more of a simple enjoyable story these days.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I heard the movie was pretty bad. Might have to check it out just for that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

have just finished Odd Thomas. Awesome. Bears adored.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography by Katherine Ramsland is free for Kindle on Amazon today.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oce_digital

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

help!!! I don't understand what I should do!! I am looking at the page, and I can't see no way to proceed!..

ETA: on the top right, it says, "Not currently available". Maybe that's the reason why I can't understand what to do...

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dark Rivers of the Heart is my absolute favorite. It's time I re-read it.
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Are you in the US, Jean? Maybe it's limited geographically.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    Dark Rivers of the Heart is my absolute favorite.
    yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Are you in the US, Jean?
    I certainly am not.
    Maybe it's limited geographically.
    oops...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    Dark Rivers of the Heart is my absolute favorite.
    yes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Are you in the US, Jean?
    I certainly am not.
    Maybe it's limited geographically.
    oops...
    Yes,it is geographically limited. No chance for us poor foreigners.

Country
    Country Flag

grrrr...

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I started Breathless yesterday. Yes, there is a dog in it. Yeah, he talks about dog abuse by the breeders again. It's alright so far, but it's too early to tell if I'll like it. Actually, it's still too early to tell what the book is about too.

I have The Dean Koontz Companion by Gorman and Greenberg. I think I'll have to bump it closer to the top of the pile.

Country
    Country Flag

Breathless was OK. It read more like an anti-Darwin rant (and that's fine) than an actual story. A little rushed but with a memorable passage here and there. Bottom of Koontz titles I've read this year.

Just finished The Good Guy. Superb thriller. I like Koontz's baddies. This guy and the one in Breathless are such egotistical, delussional psychopaths that that makes them even more terrifying.

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Grew up reading Koontz and King. Like him a lot! Though King more of course!

Country
    Country Flag

Just finished Mr. Murder. It was fantastic. No dog!

Country
    Country Flag

Great! might very well be the next Koontz for me

Country
    Country Flag

I love his villains. A little supernatural but always pure menace, eggotistical, murdering maniacs in love with themselves. That actually seems to be the common theme to the last few Koontz books I've read.

Citizen of Gilead Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead has a spectacular aura about Fall of Gilead's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely
    Country
    Country Flag

Recently read Strangers. It was decent but a little overlong. I totally did not see the spoiler coming.
    In Digitized Remorse

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I just finished reading Your Heart Belongs to Me. Holy crap did that suck.

The story itself wasn't too bad but I never really identified with the main character and the ending was (like so many of his endings) was quite abrupt and didn't really explain anything at all.

It was a fairly short book yet it took quite awhile to get going and then the villain only shows up at the very end for handful of pages and then disappears never to be seen or talked about again.

I'm about ready to give up on Koontz books completely. I've found very few that I actually enjoy or even remember.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Dark Rivers of the Heart, and adored Odd Thomas. The others I've read were not half as good, but I wouldn't give up on him anyway. I think I'll go back to him when I'm through with the Top 100 list.

then the villain only shows up at the very end for handful of pages and then disappears never to be seen or talked about again
    sounds like a real revolution in the genre!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast