Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Different For Susannah?

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Jean
    I think she never took the Dark Tower so very seriously (only a man would).
    ?????????????? Oh no... the gates have opened ?
    What do you mean by this oh wisest of the bears? Are you serious?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*runs the hell out of this thread*

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda
    Are you serious?
    yes. I don't think a woman can ever be as single-minded as a man when things other than people are concerned. If something is for a woman so big that it replaces the whole existence, it is either her child, or her man, or herself - but it is a human being. Otherwise she is usually a more... can't find the right word - generous soul than a man. That explains, by the way, why there are so (comparatively) few women among great artists or scientists: not because women are less talented or intelligent, but because they are very rarely willing to sacrifice the whole infinite richness of life for something as unimportant as scientific truth or a few colors on a canvas. For a human being - maybe; but not for an abstraction, or career, or mankind as a whole, or an idea etc

(thank God for that last, by the way. The experience has shown that when women still do chose something single over everything else, they are so much bigger fanatics than men that sometimes the mind fails to comprehend such extent of fanaticism, both cruelty and self-sacrificing included)

woman is of the whole, not of a part

man is usually someone who fails to see the forest behind the trees (and can destroy the forest trying to save a tree); women very seldom. That's, by the way, I think what is called "women's intuition" is based upon. The synthesis is more important than the abstraction. The old "emotional vs. rational" is bullshit; female vs. male is whole vs. parts.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Okay, well you've managed to answer that quite well.
    *all wind has escaped the sails* Smiles again, cuz I
    think your right (again) lets resume the Susannah
    aspects then shall we?

The answer is within

Gunslinger Apprentice wildfire1290 is on a distinguished road wildfire1290's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But Susannah only tagging along to get what she wanted out of the journey, kinda seems sort of a bitch thing to do. I mean she only went along with something and left off when it was convient (sp) for her and she got all she wanted and didn't want to stay and see how the rest of the journey unfolded.
    Opinion in politics, and politics, is an evil which has caused many a fellow to be hung while he’s still young and pretty.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Susannah chose the door because she had nothing to lose.

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice wildfire1290 is on a distinguished road wildfire1290's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    But I thought she wanted to see the Tower with Roland though...
    Opinion in politics, and politics, is an evil which has caused many a fellow to be hung while he’s still young and pretty.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wildfire1290 View Post
    Yes, she did but with Eddie's death lots of things changed in her.
    Don't forget that it was hard for Roland, too to take care of King when Jake was dying, he wanted to be next to Jake but he couldn't because he didn't want to make Jake's death pointless. That's why he spent that time with King.
    Roland had to go on to give meaning to each death he met or caused. Susannah's situation was very different.
    (But don't think I wasn't shocked when she left, in fact I was incredibly angry with her and I still am even if I might know the reasons.)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Susannah just knew how to "prioritize". Sure she wanted to see the Tower but it was clear all along that the reason she was tagging along is because she loved Eddie. And I agree with Jean, I believe women are not as likely to throw away everything in a "tunnel vision" kind of thing for an inanimate object. People yes, the Tower, no.

I think this does coincide with Susan too because had she and Roland remained together, she would not have understood the Tower either.

Not that women can't grasp...imo they are deeper than men for the most part.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

exactly what I meant. One doesn't have to be "deep" to let something grow out of proportion, which is what a man would so often do

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    In Love

The answer is within

Country
    Country Flag

Don't forget that it was hard for Roland, too to take care of King when Jake was dying, he wanted to be next to Jake but he couldn't because he didn't want to make Jake's death pointless. That's why he spent that time with King.
    Roland had to go on to give meaning to each death he met or caused. Susannah's situation was very different.
    (But don't think I wasn't shocked when she left, in fact I was incredibly angry with her and I still am even if I might know the reasons.)
    I don't know though, I think Susannah should have kept going with Roland in honor of Eddie dying on their quest to get to the Tower. Maybe continue to the Tower in the name of her dead husband?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...I'm not sure. It didn't really seem to be a part of her all the way through to me. I'm not sure she ever really pronounced her willingness to go except through Eddie. Kind of a..."me and Suze are going all the way Roland"

<Suze nods>

So I think she wasn't really in and there was no reason for her to be imo. Btw, I feel the same way about Jake. It wasn't the Tower for Jake, it was Roland. He would have followed his "father" to the ends of the Earth. Literally.

Eddie? Oh yeah. He was in for the Tower all the way. But he was also a junkie. Roland was the original Tower junkie and Eddie didn't mind a hit of that shit either.

I think the only other would have been Callahan. He was a junkie in his own way, in a broad sense of course.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hmmm...I'm not sure. It didn't really seem to be a part of her all the way through to me. I'm not sure she ever really pronounced her willingness to go except through Eddie. Kind of a..."me and Suze are going all the way Roland"

<Suze nods>

So I think she wasn't really in and there was no reason for her to be imo. Btw, I feel the same way about Jake. It wasn't the Tower for Jake, it was Roland. He would have followed his "father" to the ends of the Earth. Literally.

Eddie? Oh yeah. He was in for the Tower all the way. But he was also a junkie. Roland was the original Tower junkie and Eddie didn't mind a hit of that shit either.

I think the only other would have been Callahan. He was a junkie in his own way, in a broad sense of course.
    Sadly, Ka took care of everyone, except for Roland and Patrick ( Who I never expected to do his fancy work with his pencil in the end)

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Maybe there is only one Susannah...
    So the only way to join them might be to drive through the door. *shrugs*
    I think you just gave me an epiphany. Reading up til this point I didn't have an answer. But it makes perfect sense. There is possibly an Odetta Holmes or a version of her in other levels of the tower, but if that Odetta Holmes did not have the same experiences as the keystone Odetta, then it is possible that Detta Walker never came to be. Without Detta, there could be no Susannah. If Susannah died on any level of the Tower--she would forever be gone.

As for Jake & Eddie being brothers in the "new" world, I always assumed that it was Ka that they should be brothers. It is clear that they both viewed Roland as their "father" in one way or another in his world. So in dying, and getting to the new world, of course they would be brothers.

And I sincerely, truly and completely hope there is an Oy in that world, too. Although he probably wouldn't be able to talk!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I don't know though, I think Susannah should have kept going with Roland in honor of Eddie dying on their quest to get to the Tower. Maybe continue to the Tower in the name of her dead husband?
    I just read this section over the weekend. I think you are all forgetting that the Tower itself was only singing for Roland. They both knew it. Susannah was only being obedient. I just wished she had the opportunity to get the hell out of the way sooner.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know you're right jude and the Tower did only sing for Roland but I still can't forgive her for abandoning Roland and throwing that gun away.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

I know you're right jude and the Tower did only sing for Roland but I still can't forgive her for abandoning Roland and throwing that gun away.
    i couldn't care less about anything else. it's the throwing the gun away that pisses me off.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlesong View Post
    i couldn't care less about anything else. it's the throwing the gun away that pisses me off.
    Thirded. Motion carries.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I blame her for that, it was done.

Not to mention, she was very rapidly forgetting everything that happened to her, perhaps keeping it was impossible (talking about Gan and the Tower here.)

Country
    Country Flag

I feel absolutely the same way. So so much.
    Maybe after some rereadings in some years I will be able to. But right now it's impossible.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I know how you guys feel, and so do I, but the text is very clear in this regard:

"Each night in her dreams, at least once, she saw the Tower in that photograph standing at the end of its field of roses, sooty gray-black stone against a troubled sky where the clouds streamed out in for directions, along the tow Beams that still held. She knew what the voices sang- commala! commala! commala-come-come!- but she did not think that they sang to her, or for her. No, say no, say never in life; this was Roland's song and Roland's alone. But she had begun to hope that that didn't necessarily mean she was going to die between here and the end of her quest. She had been having her own dreams" (The Dark Tower, 706 Hardcover).

There are a few others as well, but I think this is the most explicit. We could say it was just her perception, but... I really don't think that's the case. We all knew Roland was going to approach the Tower alone.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I really don't think that's the case. We all knew Roland was going to approach the Tower alone.
    And here is my answer.

A perfect ending (for me at least, a perfect ending)
    by Letti

Spoiler:
    They all were there and they couldn't believe it. Death was always behind them it was sitting on their back laughing and they could feel its disturbing breath on their necks so many times. Still, they were all there.
    Eddie was holding Susannah's hand but they couldn't look at each other. Their eyes got hooked on the Dark Tower and they felt they could stand there hand in hand forever.
    Roland felt that he was trembling inside so hard he could hardly notice anything else but the Tower but then somehow he felt Jake thoughts... "I don't want to lose him. I don't want to lose my father... Gan... I should try not to cry."
    Roland turned back and he looked at Jake. The boy who was old and so young at the same time was standing there with tears in his eyes. He couldn't hide them.
    "You know" - started Roland with a big sigh - "I always felt I would get here alone. It was such a strong feeling that right now..."
    "You don't know what to do." - finished Susannah.
    "Exactly."
    "But you must go, mustn't you?" - asked Jake with a really cold voice. With a real gunslinger voice. His hot tears were burning his eyes still his heart got cold. Jake hated the Tower with every cell of his true heart.
    It hurt Roland.
    He didn't answer. He couldn't.
    He was sure Eddie would say something really funny soon but his ka-brother was just standing there like a perfect statue watching him with curious and sad eyes.
    "You know..." - started Roland after a long hesitation - "It looks all right, doesn't it? I mean... It looks absolutely healthy..." but he couldn't finish his sentence because Jake ran there and hugged him so hard that he could hardly breathe.
    Now Jake was crying.
    They hugged each other for long minutes and Eddie and Susannah let them be alone a little bit.
    Jake didn't want to ease his hand because he was afraid if he ever let Roland get out of his hands he would change his mind immediately. Roland knew it and felt it and he let the boy hug him as long as he needed it.
    First time after thousands of years Roland didn't know where to go.
    What to do.
    Still, he felt incredibly free. He felt his heart could blow up anytime. But wouldn't it be a beautiful death?
    It would.
    It would indeed.

Yeah...
    I am a dreamer.
    Last edited by Letti; 12-11-2010 at 07:20 AM.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In context (concerning Susannah throwing away the gun.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm not sure I blame her for that, it was done.

Not to mention, she was very rapidly forgetting everything that happened to her, perhaps keeping it was impossible (talking about Gan and the Tower here.)
    I thought it a bit of a shame that she threw away the gun concerning the history and all. However, I agree. Also, it seemed pretty clear that the revolver was now used up and useless. Gan even plugged it!

A lot of people really dislike that scene where Susannah met Eddie and Jake. They find it sappy and sentimental.

I loved it though. I found it magical and uplifting, as well as sad, but in a good way.

I dislike thinking of myself as sentimental... but I suppose I am. Someone please, shoot me in the head.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i loved her finding eddie and jake again. i kept waiting for oy (or oy's twinner) to coming trotting up to jake. but i can't get over her throwing away the gun. like it was a piece of trash. worthless, immaterial, meaningless. i couldn't believe that some part of her didn't recognize, on some level, that she should hold onto it. even if it was plugged. no matter what, she should've held onto the gun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast