Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stephen King surprises New Brunswick high school students

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Rap

Stephen King Rap!
    By: Bailey, Allison, Maddy, and Mary-Kate

This one is for the author in Bangor,
    He's got best sellers sellin' out all the stores
    When he come up in our school we be racin' up
    We got to see him first so we savin' up!
    They shrill, they thrill, they sometimes kill
    These novels got suspense, they be givin' you a chill!
    We read, we saw, we now in awe
    These books are so great; they ain't never got a flaw!

He's an author from the states, states. That SRHS awaits, waits.
    Open up the gates, gates. This be feelin' like fate, fate.
    You're the kind of dude we are lookin' for.
    And yes, errybody needs a mentor!
    I said s'cuse me you're a hell of a guy
    I mean my, my, my, my you write the books that I by.
    I mean, don't be shy, the queen stopped by
    All we need now is the king by her side, OH!

Yes we did, yes we did, somebody please tell him who SRHS is
    We are the Sonics; we read dem books up, come on up, talk this town up.

CHORUS:
    Steve you got our school goin' insane,
    Reading all the time, you be fillin' our brains
    Steve you got those books...
    Steve you write dem books!
    http://www.dearstephenking.blogspot.com/
    These letters to Stephen King are part of a growing collection from our students at Sussex Regional High School. They were written as part of our literacy initiative. Please feel free to leave comments on the letters. Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/191535187589291/

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King surprises New Brunswick high school students

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/10/1...-2/?ref=latest
    SUSSEX, New Brunswick — A small group of Sussex high school students got the writing critique of a lifetime Friday morning when literary horror-master Stephen King made a surprise visit to their school.

King, the renowned author of books such as “The Stand,” “The Shining,” “The Dark Tower” series, “The Green Mile” and the recent JFK book “11/22/63: A Novel,” gathered with 18 lucky students in the school’s library to provide feedback on their work.

“I thought it was absolutely insane that he was actually at our school,” said Matthew Beyer, a 12th-grade student who shook King’s hand.

“It was quite a shock. We just walked into the library and Stephen King is standing there.”

King then spoke to about 80 other students in the auditorium where he told them about his short time as a high school teacher and about how he dreams up the ideas for his novels.

King was at the school after a yearlong campaign to get the author, who lives in Bangor, Maine, to visit the school by Halloween 2012.

The idea was hatched in vice principal Phyllis Corbett’s car last October when Corbett, other teachers and librarian Patricia Stout were discussing potential literacy projects and ways to get students engaged.

That’s when they came up with “Seeking Stephen King.”

All 32 English classes were studying persuasive writing and over the course of the last year they used what they learned to send 1,100 letters to the famous recluse.

Media studies, theater arts, and music and arts classes also jumped on board the campaign, coming up with innovative ways to attract King. About a dozen videos were created, including a rap video, which King apparently watched and enjoyed, according to Corbett.

Dozens of posters were created, and a large caricature of King’s head was painted, a prop that will soon be shipped to King.

Sarah-Jane Smith, the teacher spearheading the effort to bring King to town said she didn’t know he was coming this week until she received a call from the literary icon on Thursday.

“He said, ‘I’m coming tomorrow.’ I was just shocked,” Smith said.

Beyer said he heard rumours in the morning about the visit, but he didn’t really believe them until he walked into the library a few hours later.

While Beyer said he has only read excerpts of King’s work so far, he’s going to change that.

“It was inspiring,” he said.

Although Beyer’s writing wasn’t among the work read by King, the author told the students they could mail their material to him and he’d read it and send back his feedback.

“It was a great experience, it makes you think of writing in a different way. To get a professional world-renowned writer to come in and just talk about how writing works, it adds just a whole new light on it,” he added.

“It makes big dreams like being a writer like him seem less far away.”

While King’s visit was meant to be kept as secretive as possible at the author’s request, word about his visit spread quickly after a student spotted King at an Irving gas station in town and then started texting others.

King had expressly forbid the school from notifying media and he did not want to be interviewed. He also asked to limit the size of the groups he would speak with to keep it manageable.

After King held his hourlong session in the library with the smaller group, he held a second 45-minute session in the school’s auditorium for about 80 students.

While only a small number of the student body was able to hear King speak in person, students were posting on Twitter and Facebook, spreading the news further.

Dressed casually in a gray T-shirt and jeans, King sat on the edge of the stage to talk about his writing and how he comes up with the macabre and sometimes twisted ideas that have made him one of the best-selling authors of all time.

He remarked about the small size of Sussex and said inspiration can be found all around, even in smaller towns.

Before reading a passage from his book “Christine,” he talked about his time as a teacher and bullying.

“One thing I decided after teaching high school for two years was that secretly, most kids feel like they’re out, that nobody likes them,” he told the students.

Nathan Brown and Jed Webster, the two 12th-grade students who made headlines last spring by creating the YouTube hit and video love letter to their hometown, “From Sussex and I Know It,” filmed King’s visit.

They said they’ll spend the weekend editing the footage and hope to have it online by Sunday night.

Brown said he felt starstruck but remarked at how down-to-earth the author acted.

“It was good to know he listens to us, that he was looking at the letters,” Webster said.

Corbett said during the short time she spent with King, she found him to be “just a kind, gentle guy.”

“He was just a funny, self-deprecating man,” she said.

King left the school at noon, refusing to sign autographs since it would take too long.

“I have to get back to Maine, there’s a storm coming so I want to be back by five,” he told the crowd at the auditorium.

King stopped in the office and signed 10 copies of “Different Seasons,” a collection of stories, and he also collected many of the posters students had created before he hit the road.

Corbett said the author also left with a brown-bag lunch the school’s administration packed for his drive home that included Pepsi, water, a wrap, popcorn and granola bars.

“We set the bag in his passenger seat. Sarah-Jane wished him a safe trip. ‘From you lips to God’s ears,’ he said to her. It was really sweet,” Corbett said.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story. King is the man!

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Class act. It's not like he drove a few blocks to get there. More like 5 hours.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That is REALLY cool.
    Its to bad its so hard for people to keep a secret.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A couple of pics from King's visit:

Game Master Scott Landon will become famous soon enough Scott Landon will become famous soon enough Scott Landon's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

If King wants to visit me I'll keep the secret.

Spoiler:
    Yes, even from y'all.
    Gonna scare you up and shoot ya, Mister Charlie told me so.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    Class act. It's not like he drove a few blocks to get there. More like 5 hours.
    Yeah, it's quite a drive (216 mi, 4 hours 21 mins): http://goo.gl/maps/0fbVV

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

And he is looking really healthy! Maybe i will get all my books signed (eventually)

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    And he is looking really healthy!
    Agreed. He looked like he was in good spirits and feeling great.

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanna know where his left hand is in the pic with the girl between him and the other guy??? oh well, she seems to be enjoying it anyway

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad they transcribed the rap, I couldn't understand what they were saying. Is that what high school considers literacy now? I'm kidding, glad they got to meet him!
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Click on the link at the end (the one at the beginning didn't work for me) for the full 30-minute version.

Country
    Country Flag

Full version:

Country
    Country Flag

A nice quick radio interview about how SRHS convinced King to come for a visit:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...-students.html

+ Reply to Thread