Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was Flagg needed in the series?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 69.35%
  • No

19 30.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Randall Flagg - discussion of the character and his many guises

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Being a huge Flagg fan, I have to vote yes. We can't get rid of my favorite character.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hannibal Lecter's one of my favorite characters, but I wouldn't like it if he appeared in a series, was in one chapter for each of the books, and was killed in off a half-assed fashion.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Anyway most of the evil caharcters I have met are very poorly written. They are stupid selfish and evil and that's all. They have no past... no real reasons... no history.
    That's why King rocks. His characters aren't black and white. They are very complex.
    Letti you are SO right about that! That is exactly how I've felt in most fiction.

And that is why I heart Randall Flagg... not in the lovey sense but in the I love to read about him sense.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Hannibal Lecter's one of my favorite characters, but I wouldn't like it if he appeared in a series, was in one chapter for each of the books, and was killed in off a half-assed fashion.
    well put, and flagg should have been afforded the same respect by king as he is one of king's greatest creations. he deserved a better role in the magnum opus.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'd maybe have liked to see Flagg do greater things in the series, but really I gotta' agree he was unnecessary if one makes a distinction between his various manifestations. With that said I agree people (sometimes even great people) have stupid senseless deaths. That is what death is. There is rarely any glory in it.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    well put, and flagg should have been afforded the same respect by king as he is one of king's greatest creations. he deserved a better role in the magnum opus.
    That's no how things work.
    Most of the people and characters would deserve much more.
    Anyway I don't think Flagg's death was so... horrible. He didn't break his sull in the bathroom but a powerful mosnter killed him. (Yeah, it was young and looked innocent but still powerful.)

Roland would have understood.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Anyway I don't think Flagg's death was so... horrible. He didn't break his sull in the bathroom but a powerful mosnter killed him. (Yeah, it was young and looked innocent but still powerful.)
    it's more than just the circumstances of his death. i agree pretty much with most of what cyber has said in this thread, that he could be seen as superfluous and could disappear with few changes to the text. flagg deserved better. he was roland's nemesis, and deserved a larger role in the final events. he plays so much less of a role in 5-7 than he did in 1-4.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree there, his death seemed 'just wrong' to me, but, what are you gonna do. I didn't write it, so I have to live with it.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Said powerful monster was a shit character who was just introduced, and the sole purpose of Flagg's death was to give Mordred credibility. "OMG, he just killed Flagg! Roland sure has his hands full now! LOL!"
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Before you automatically click "Yes", consider the following...

Flagg (as Flagg, not any of his other identities) did very little in the series. They were ultimately a series of cameo appearences leading up to...well, nothing. Just fodder for Spider-Boy. I have to wonder if Flagg was necessary at all in the series. If someone were to pull a Mephisto (wink wink Spider-Man fans) and erase Flagg, would the series be any different?

Book 1: Walter and Marten are now two seperate figures. Walter dies at the end of the book, but appears in flashbacks.
    Book 2: Minimal references to Flagg would be removed.
    Book 3: Tick Tock dies in Lud. This is an improvement, considering how Ticky's later appearence was an embarrassment.
    Book 4: The only significant change would be here. Given that Flagg is gone, someone else would need to create the Emerald Palace. The flashbacks could also explain what happened to Marten, given that he's now seperate.
    Book 5: Flashbacks before Book 1 occur.
    Book 6: Flashbacks before Book 1 occur.
    Book 7: Flagg's appearence is omitted. It had little-to-no impact on the story, and was only referenced twice in passing.

If you vote "Yes", then please explain why Flagg was important.
    I really wish Flagg had been given a larger, better role, and I positively hate that Walter, Marten, and Flagg were merged. They were much better as separate characters and merging lessened each rather than adding depth to any. Mordred... Mordred leaves me bleh, but then I hate hate hate a baby as a plot device as much as a forced death. Ack ack gag!

However, Flagg's death alternately bothers and satisfies me. On the one hand, I feel that he deserved more because he was such an epic character. His appearance could've been limited to W&G and been fine since it was obvious they crossed a bit of the world in The Stand. I'm not sure how that would've exactly worked; maybe Flagg doing a solid for the CK because the CK helped Captain Tripps get going. Little cross-world cooperation for mass destruction. Go Team Evil!

On the other hand, I feel that he got exactly what he deserved because he had lived so long he had become complacent. And I can buy that. I could see someone like Flagg making a critical mistake in thinking he would know how to deal with such as Mordred (or at least what Mordred was supposed to be but never seemed to become *psi*). Great people make great mistakes, etc.

Man, I love these books.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Flagg being in these books, but I agree that the way he was used, he wasn't really needed.

Rather than bringing in a new character like Dandelo, I wish that Flagg had been the one to create that trap, or at least been the one behind Dandelo. I think that would have been so much more satisfying.

Of course if it had been Flagg, they would have had to have found another way of killing him since we know his magic renders him immune to Roland's (and therefore Susannah's) guns but even so.

If Mordred had then come across him in a weakened (rather than dead) state, then I would at least have accepted that. His ending with Mordred was freaky and gruesome, but I don't think it should have happened in the book where it did. (Perhaps Mordred could have also been wounded in his battle with Flagg too, rendering him weaker when confronting Roland, rather than the 'eating sick horse' thing?)

Anyway too late now but I was very disappointed with Flagg's demise. Come to think of it I was somewhat dissatisfied with the other villains as well, although I didn't mind the Crimson King canceling out trick too much.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Beck View Post
    I think this is an amazing question.

i clicked no. I believe that the series would have been much stronger without his character in it, for the reasons you posted already.

i also don't think he was needed for the emerald palace scene. instead of Flagg being inside, why not the Crimson King himself? I know the CK was trapped in the tower, but part of him could have manifested in the palace. some part of him that he could project. It would have set up a nice introduction for the CK, as well, considering all that "Beware the Crimson King" stuff.

Flagg in Lud was unnecessary.
    Flagg in Topeka didn't really do much except tease the reader.
    Flagg in Fedic? I could have done without.
    I agree totally with this entire post.

Hence, Mike Beck must be a genius.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think Flagg was necessary at all, and his death was just so anticlimactic if you've read all of King's works. I've pondered this for a long time, and the only thing I have come up with so far is that perhaps it is some sort of comentary on the banality of evil, blah, blah, blah....nope. Can't do it. I adore this series. It's my favorite story of all time, but that one thing just jangles my nerves...so I try not to think about it too much. Denial is a wonderful thing.

Donna

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its not just a river in Egypt anymore!

I was glad to see Flagg in the series because of The Stand but I'm on the fence as to what was really contributed by the character.

Something to think about.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Along the Path of the Beam Babymordred121 is on a distinguished road Babymordred121's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that making Walter also Flagg was a cool aspect to the series, linking King's books together and giving some more insights into the background of our Man in Black. I agree that Flagg/Walter was a wasted opportunity for some chaotic coolness, but you can't exactly criticize King's forethought in how he would end the character since King has openly stated that he doesn't plan out his stories ahead of time. If any of us had written the character, we all would have done things differently than what King did, but since he was pretty much writing out of his ass the entire time, one shouldn't get their hopes up that any of it will make sense or give any sort of consolation.

But yeah, King screwed the pooch when it came to the entire end of Walter/Flagg's story.
    "I serve only one masta: DAAKNESS" - Peter Boil, Swashbuckler

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Babymordred121 View Post
    you can't exactly criticize King's forethought in how he would end the character since King has openly stated that he doesn't plan out his stories ahead of time.
    He did the Walter change when he was writing the final three books, and at that time, he did appear to have some sort of bigger plan. And he revised the Gunslinger to include the change *after* he finished the series. It still would have been anticlimatic if he wasn't Walter, but revising the series so that Flagg was present from the very first sentence only makes it more so.

My Collection

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

One of the things that is bothering me about this is that Flagg's memories are really vacant about his own past. This is very consistent with our twinner theories, but I'm not sure Walter should have such a clear recollection unless there's something to the Keystone conscious being the most dominant of the bunch.

Anyways, I'm thinking the story would make a lot more sense if he was just left out. I've read Wizard and glass five times and I still don't understand the ending, rather it becomes even more obscure and incongruent with each reading.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I've read Wizard and glass five times and I still don't understand the ending.
    For my part I have given up to understand that part.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I'm not far behind you.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm not far behind you.

Country
    Country Flag

What was so confusing?

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

While I liked Flagg in Lud (had just finished the miniseries of The Stand by this point, and it hinted at the fulfillment of Walter's prophecy), it seemed like he was cast aside for a while. I was really looking forward to him making good on his promise to Roland at the end of W&G. Sadly, in the grand scheme of things he seemed to be as needed as Sandman in Spider-Man 3.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

flagg, marten and walter are all the same person, 2 seperate them is silly
    Without the walking dude there would be no series, he is responsible 4 Rolands early test of manhood, the fall of gilead, the breakers, the birth of mordred (by way of mia), jakes first death, his tarot mapped out rolands whole future, SO I think that if u look closely enough (especially at the signifigance of the tarot) then he is responsible for everything in a covert manner, he manipulated EVERYTHING behind the scenes without him the series simply would not b the dark tower, I think that he is as important a character as roland, just in a much more subtle way
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Did Walter know? *big spoilers*

ok so i think that RF knew everything that was going to happen judging by his flawlessly accurate tarot reading at the end of the gunslinger, because of this i think he is still alive, his physical body has been destroyed before, most notably right after the tarot reading, i think that not only is flagg alive but HE KNEW EVERYTHING and played everyone like fiddles!!!

what do u think about this controversial theory?
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Oooooooooooh I would love to believe that all. I would love for it to be part of his plan that he was defeated by Mordred...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast