Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
Yes, of course people are not the same and they react differently, however I maintain that while it may be harder for some than others there is always a choice in how to react.
There's always a choice in that people aren't *forced* to act. But again...you're oversimplifying the matter.
That may be true. I tend to see moral issues in strict terms of black and white. I can't help it. It's just how I feel.

I'm not sure I believe that a mental problem or even insanity is indicative of a moral deficiency at all.
Have you ever studied or researched the subject??
I've read quite a bit, but I'd say I'm far from being an expert. This is just my own personal gut feeling (although based on some limited degree of personal observation too).

Sorry, but once again I feel that a choice is still made and whatever factors or circumstances brought about that reaction don't justify them in any way and therefore don't warrant my sympathies.
Again, I'm not talking about justifying or excusing the actions of these people. I'm just saying that in most cases these people are shaped by events that occur in their lives. I don't have sympathy for their actions now, but I have sympathy for the person they used to be.
I would have had sympathy before they acted out. That for me is completely negated when they do. And I realize you're not talking about justifications or excuses, but for me there is a direct correlation there.

We really don't know what an animal's moral capabilities are do we? Surely they have some.
But you're expecting them to have fully rational decisions. My cats don't act rationally when they knocked down the Christmas tree this year, and they're pampered. Why would you expect a pitbull thats been beaten and forced to fight with other dogs to act rationally when coming in contact with other people?
No, I'm not really expecting them to make rational decisions. But, why must their rationale be understandable by our terms. Your cats were very likely just playing, or thought the tree looked better lying down. By this I mean just because we don't understand their reasons doesn't suggest that they don't have their own totally rational reasons for what they do. Sorry, but I still believe they are completely capable of moral choices and see no reason to believe otherwise. I think we may just have to agree to disagree on this one man.