Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Favorite moments of this book. *Spoilers*

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

"Was"? Or "is" your favorite? If "was" then what is your favorite of the series now and why Wolves no longer?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Ste Letto View Post
    The book finally showed us how Roland's Ka Tet was meant to function together, performing the kind of duty they were intended for from the glory days of the Knights of Eld.
    I agree with this, but I think W&G shows Roland's original ka-tet functioning in much the same way.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's the first time we see the new ka-tet function in this way though, which I think was the point. Before then it was merely things that got in their way to the Tower. Here they actually step aside for a while and DO something, undertaking the very job the gunslingers of old (including the original ka-tet of Wizard and Glass) did.

The tone and subject matter and tone of the book does feel quite similar to Wizard and Glass to me too. There are major differences in that the The Calla is on on their side (but to be fair the Hambry folk were deceived.) but I think they are twin books in a way, even side by side.

An enjoyable book I thought. Slow moving but it kept me interested. And I loved catching up with Callahan.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

"Was"? Or "is" your favorite? If "was" then what is your favorite of the series now and why Wolves no longer?

Is, definitely, although The Dark Tower sometimes becomes my favourite for a short while.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing what happened to Father Callahan, and thought his story could have stood as a novel in its own right.

Traveler Savoury is on a distinguished road Savoury's Avatar

I really loved WoTC (and W&G as well). The buildup was magnificent, the mystery of the wolves kept me entertained right up to the end. The interaction with the townsfolk and the Manni and the way Roland's ka-tet encounters their personal problems as well.

While not annoying, I found that the story of Father Callahan was a bit too detailed and out of place here and there. Still, I greatly enjoyed WoTC and the story seemed to really pick up in it.
    Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

For some reason, and I wish I knew why as I am not a big fan of Susannah, the part where she showed her skills throwing the killer frisbees. The whole scene- The rest of the Ka-Tet recognizing the double plate holsters she had rigged up, the drawing of the wolf on the wall, and the biggest thing to me- the best illustration in the book (IMO) came at just the right time, just as I was reading about her throwing the plates I turned the page and BAM! It literally made my arm/neck hair stand up and I just stared at the page for 5 minutes...

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Susannah throwing the plates is about the only five pages of her that I can stand. It was a very cool scene.

John F. Kennedy mate211 is on a distinguished road mate211's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved Father Callahan's story about his "first" life.

My book

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

New favorite moment: Eddie taking out Andy.

That scene was really tense for me, mainly because the only way Eddie could read Andy was through his voice and his flashing eyes, and as we know, Andy was good at faking moods (or feelings, or emotions if you prefer).

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There's a pile of 'em and I'm still not done with the re-read. When they visit the rose. Nice. "Eddie saw great things and near misses...men who had come to a splitting of the way and chosen the right fork...a hundred thousand right answers, a million acts of unacknowledged kindness...He saw the Tower itself in the burning folds of the rose and for a moment understood its purpose: how it distributed its lines of force to all the worlds that were and held them steady in time's great helix."

"And the quiet, singing voice of the rose. The song that promised all might be well, all might be well, that all manner of things might be well."

Plus the priest's tale. I think I read it all so quickly the first time or two through that I missed so much, that Callahan was going todash. I enjoy the way King has stories within his stories and Callahan's story is great, answers some questions, raises others. Like when he was with Chumm's Traveling Wonder Show, that lost pet poster about RUTA...like are we going to get an answer in some future work? Yippe ki aye. "No cutting up. That's a big ten-four." An emotional roller coaster and one can't help but hurry to get back in line.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Appleseed View Post
    There's a pile of 'em and I'm still not done with the re-read. When they visit the rose. Nice. "Eddie saw great things and near misses...men who had come to a splitting of the way and chosen the right fork...a hundred thousand right answers, a million acts of unacknowledged kindness...He saw the Tower itself in the burning folds of the rose and for a moment understood its purpose: how it distributed its lines of force to all the worlds that were and held them steady in time's great helix."

"And the quiet, singing voice of the rose. The song that promised all might be well, all might be well, that all manner of things might be well."
    I really loved that part of the book. Just reading it gives me chills.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There's a bunch of stuff in the priest's tale that are enticing...like he says he went todash twice...but he was doing it all the time, no?...almost want to go back and read the first part again...I think it happens in a couple parts and I've re-read the first...but Callahan says something about todash to the Crimson King and some other place...don't recall, was it to Mexico?

I like how he says, "'Twas the drink, that's what I believe now, not God, not devils, not predestination, not the company of saints. 'Twas the drink" And when he relates about how Mark Petrie got away...something about a deep whirlpool...
    Insomnia
    It's part of the text of 'salem's Lot, as well.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

How about when Roland wiped spittle on Slightman the elders face. There was something very cold and chilling about that whole scene.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmmm, it's been a while since i read the book, but i did like Callahan's background story. Also, gotta love the cliffhanger ending. Always a fan of good cliffhangers!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice Delah is on a distinguished road Delah's Avatar

I loved the slices of every day life: Half the girls in town getting crushes on Jake. Eddie and Susannah jumproping. Jake jumping in the hay with Benny. Roland letting the boy have a little fun.

And the tense scenes:

Eddie destroying Andy. Sussanah and he 'rizas. Jake and the kids caught on the arryo path. Roland's confrontation with Slightman might be my favorite part of the book. Roland's so lethal and angry and cold and hypocritical -- and he knows it. He wants to blow Slightman's brains out because Slightman would have killed Jake ... but he won't because he promised Jake he'd try not to. But he still wants Slightman to realize the utter depth and depravity of his actions ... because Roland's been there.

Gunslinger Apprentice JameseyLefebure is on a distinguished road JameseyLefebure's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finished this book last night and WOW!! Its amazing! I forgot how intense the final hundred or so pages were! I can't really think of a favourite bit - i do however love the conversation between mia and Susannah (where she asks her to wait until after the battle) and of course the part with the riza and susannah's harness was amazing!
    This is easily one of my favourite books in the series - I think someone mentioned it before - because we get to see what gunslingers were before the world moved on. It was nice to see them all acting as gunslingers and having to deal with everything that comes with it (mainly the poor emotional affects of this on Jake when Benny goes pop)

WOW!!

Jamesey
    xxx

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love this book and my favs are:

The story of the Orizas and when the sisters are kicking arse with the Orizas when the wolves come. I love the scream of RIZA.

The Pere's story of course and the people he meets. Just perfect.

The bit where Roland remebers the battle at Jericho Hill - I think someone mentioned it in fav quotes - that whole scene culminating in ''THEN BLOW THAT FUCKING HORNE'' I love it. It sends shivers up my spine!

Roland and Rosalita and the tender love they share

Jake finding Andy and Slightmen in the Dogan

Roland dancing the commmala - in fact most of that first scene especially with Oy.

Even the beginning bit where the tet are just shooting the breeze and making their way

Todash

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Savoury View Post
    While not annoying, I found that the story of Father Callahan was a bit too detailed and out of place here and there.
    I would have to disagree with you there. While it certainly was not something I would have assumed would end up in WotC it definitely fits into place in the series.

DT7 Spoiler

By the way Savoury, I only have one thing to say: Vicariously I live while the whole world dies

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part of WotC would have to be: "Oy! Eld! Thankee!" Oy was always my favorite character and seeing him stand up and announce himself as the line of Eld and part of the tet was amazing. I got chills and admittedly cried a bit. This was only continued by Roland's dance of the Commala and Susannah's singing.

My second favorite part would have to be Callahan's story.

After that, it is Roland's confrontation of Slightman asking if he would have killed "[Roland's] son" while Jake smokes a cigarette off to the side. This is one of the moments where I felt more love for Jake than I ever thought I could for a fictional character. To me, Jake Chambers [Deschain] will always be real.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Savoury View Post
    While not annoying, I found that the story of Father Callahan was a bit too detailed and out of place here and there.
    I would have to disagree with you there. While it certainly was not something I would have assumed would end up in WotC it definitely fits into place in the series.

Spoiler:
    The whole series is as much a redemption story for every character as it is for Roland, and Callahan's involvement in the story leads to his ultimate redemption after his damnation by Barlow. For that reason, I feel that his involvement and back-story are perfect for the tale. Not to mention his story really introduces us to the Can-toi and Taheen.
    I fixed the spoiler tags there as the button doesn't seem to do anything (although the button still appears).

Interesting take on Callahan's story there. To be honest, I didn't really feel it had much to do with the main story but I really liked it just the same, mainly because I liked the character in Salem's Lot and finding out what happened to him in the mean time was interesting. Besides I think background information is worthwhile for it's own sake.

Spoiler:
    Your take on redemption really does fit though. Especially considering what happens later...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Interesting take on Callahan's story there. To be honest, I didn't really feel it had much to do with the main story but I really liked it just the same, mainly because I liked the character in Salem's Lot and finding out what happened to him in the mean time was interesting. Besides I think background information is worthwhile for it's own sake.

Spoiler:
    Your take on redemption really does fit though. Especially considering what happens later...
    I'm glad you liked my thoughts about Callahan's story

And yes, I completely agree with you: I loved his character in 'Salem's Lot. Callahan was probably my favorite character, the second being Ben/Mark (I consider them two sides of the same coin, in a way).

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JameseyLefebure View Post
    <...>This is easily one of my favourite books in the series<...>

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler iscream22 is on a distinguished road iscream22's Avatar

DT 5 is indeed a magnificent read. Roland and his Ka-Tet didn't have to help the townspeople in Calla but it was Ka that determined that they must help the townsfolk.
    Much of the preparing for the battle is amazing, it is such a page-turner. Hiding the children and Sussannah teaching the ladies to throw the plates. And the battle itself, EPIC. And the treacherous robot? I wanted him to die from when we were first introduced to him.

I also enjoy that DT5 is loosely based off of Akira Kurosawas legendary film "The Seven Samurai". If any of you out there are hardcore Wolves Of the Calla fans I strongly urge you to purchase the DVD of Seven Samurai (particularly the remastered 3 disc Criterion DVD) it is an amazing epic battle/drama film that I consider to be the best film ever made.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's all ka, but specifically, I think the ka-tet helped the townsfolk because they were asked and it would be against the gunslinger's code to turn aside. And more importantly, it was the right thing to do.

Traveler The_Shoe is on a distinguished road

Roland's dance!!

Callahan's story was great too! From start to finish!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast