Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I love DOTT and Favorite Moments. *Spoilers*

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm right at the part of the book where Eddie is about to go into the bathroom to get Balazr's coke. They've just finished inspecting both Eddie, and the bathroom. One of the things I love about this book is the way Roland fucks everything in our world up (magda-zeens, astin, tooter fish popkins, profaning the ritual of clearing customs, army stewardess), and his sense of wonder at our world.
    Spoiler:
    I'm still pissed at Sai King for destroying such an incredibly perfect character by taking Roland's fingers.
    I'm thoroughly enjoying my 5th or 6th reading of this book.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Drawing of the Three made me fall in love with reading again.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That's a good way to put it Lady, I feel the same way. I may have been lost to books for a while if it had not been for this book.

My only problem with it is how he said (upon seeing the flight attendants) he had never seen a woman in pants before.

Then Susan obviously wore pants along with many other women in Mejis.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Unfortunately, it making me fall in love with reading again put it on such a pedestal that it is hard to find books that are even worth reading...

Along the Path of the Beam Sympathy For The Devil is on a distinguished road Sympathy For The Devil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    Unfortunately, it making me fall in love with reading again put it on such a pedestal that it is hard to find books that are even worth reading...
    Lol, i know how you feel.

This was the book that got me hooked aswell. After reading the first 20 or so pages the book took over my entire life.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Default Favorite moments of this book. *Spoilers*

For some reason there wasn't a favorite moments thread for this book so I decided I would make one.

One of my favorite moments is when Mort realizes he has no control over his own body and Roland is going to run him in front of a train.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

One of my fav scenes is the trap that Detta has rigged for Eddie.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Another favorite of mine is Jane Dorning's perception of Eddie that he was a terrorist and getting herself all ready to fight him if he pulls a gun or a bomb. Gutsy chick.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

My favourite moment is when Eddie and Odetta are hugging each other and Roland is watching them and he thinks he wants to love.

Roland would have understood.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Prisoner is my favorite part. His drawing and his story.

The whole shoot out at Balazar's place. I have always loved mafia stories, and this part of Drawing would make for some great movie stuff. Like Roland, I knew Eddie was born to be a gunslinger when he fought Balazar's army completely naked. Not that pants are much protection from bullets, but still!

Gunslinger Apprentice JasKo is on a distinguished road JasKo's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the story about Eddie and how he got out. We also meet "our" world for the first time.
    /You Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by JasKo View Post
    We also meet "our" world for the first time.
    Very important for me. I loved how NYC was a character in this book as you got to see it in three different "whens".

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The whole shoot out at Balazar's place. I have always loved mafia stories, and this part of Drawing would make for some great movie stuff. Like Roland, I knew Eddie was born to be a gunslinger when he fought Balazar's army completely naked. Not that pants are much protection from bullets, but still!
    This^

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, it was the end. What amazing suspense.

I won't put it here but its the last time I remember being seriously on the edge of my seat reading a book.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ah yes, DotT is "the" beginning for me. I wasn't in Jean's position when I started The Gunslinger and did actually close it up less than halfway through. It was several years before I picked it up again. I had snagged a copy of DotT and decided to start a series. Little did I know, it would change my literary mind forever. I truly became a reader and my love for King was rekindled forever!!!

Everything Spencer mentioned in the first post is why it's a great book. I often say that if King had gone for broke and added Book 1 of The Waste Lands to DotT, it would have been MORE than perfect.

The Waste Lands spoiler

Spoiler:
    When Jake (and Roland) are struggling with the "I'm dead/I'm alive" parts, it's some of King's best writing!!! And the drawing of Jake is a fun fucking ride!!!

I love each book in the series for different reasons. I love this one for the most reasons.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree and can't say enough how every single element of this book worked so well with the rest of its parts.

Just amazing.

One who came back Malficeus is on a distinguished road Malficeus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

when eddie has to fo through customs and they search him and his comment about it.
    whoever had the boney finger i dont know what you call that but it was a fucking safari

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

My Mood
    Worried

I thought it was a great story altogether and thought all my favorite parts included Roland and Eddie...

Gunslinger Apprentice Lance is on a distinguished road Lance's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished rereading it today and I have to go with Matt. Even though I've read it a lot the end still has me in suspense every time. And Detta Walker has to be one of the coolest King villans ever.
    I'm Joe Collins, bitch. Recognize!

"I don't like pot. It dulls my hatred" - Darlene Conner

Traveler dante is on a distinguished road dante's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually really like the intro with Roland at the lobstrosities on the beach. I remember when I picked it up, about two or so days from finishing The Gunslinger, which seemed so different in how it was going to lead into the next installment, that I was like 'what the hell?!!?' when I started reading about crazy lobsters.

But then it all becomes clear and starts kicking ass. I love this book most so far, closely followed by WaG . I love how Roland has to search his new Ka-tet's memories for the right words to fit in in our world - like when he orders a popkin rather than a sandwich on the plane to begin with.

Tooter fish will forever make me laugh

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

My favorite moment in the whole series is the "final shuffle" at the end when Roland finally ceases to be the last gunslinger. It gets me every time. I re read The Drawing of the Three late last year, and I openly wept at the end. The time of drawing is finished (at least for the time being) and Roland is forced to depend on others for the first time in ages.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that part was great. Roland is allowing himself to love people again...great stuff!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    My favorite moment in the whole series is the "final shuffle" at the end when Roland finally ceases to be the last gunslinger. It gets me every time. I re read The Drawing of the Three late last year, and I openly wept at the end. The time of drawing is finished (at least for the time being) and Roland is forced to depend on others for the first time in ages.
    That is a great part. It shows that the whole trip and story is going to go in a different direction. For once the self-relying gunslinger must let others into his life.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I enjoyed seeing Roland's attempts at understanding our world, but I guess my favorite part was when Roland posed as Jack Mort and set that trap for those guys, in the 1977 New York City.

Is there something wrong with me? Even knowing what he did to Odetta and Jake, I didn't feel like Mort quite deserved the fate Roland gave him, for some reason....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast