Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I love DOTT and Favorite Moments. *Spoilers*

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Why I love DOTT and Favorite Moments. *Spoilers*

The Drawing of the Three has everything, time travel, the mafia, naked gunfights, the drama of getting out of a drug bust, the simple joys of Pepsi and Hot Dogs and how they are experienced by someone who's never known them, schizophrenic paraplegics, the civil rights movement, a race against death, a love story, how, by following your path, you can get back what you thought was lost, and of course, a great unimaginable quest.

Yeah.

Gunslinger Apprentice Baradin is on a distinguished road Baradin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool

Umm..

Fiction?

LMAO Actually I agree that Drawing was the best of the series, no question.
    "And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

You dare not."

Mi him en tow
    Mi tow can de lach.

Country
    Country Flag

I just love everything about the book. I'll read or listen to it as a stand alone thing often.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

This was the one that really got me hooked. I liked The Gunslinger, but I absolutely loved The Drawing of the Three. I think this is the book where you really start to get a feel for Roland's personality.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I think I've already mentioned it elsewhere, but I'll gladly do that again. I was in hospital when my best friend brought to me The Gunslinger and The Drawing. If it had been only The Gunslinger, I might have never ever come back to that series again, or maybe not for a long time. If I hadn't been in the hospital, I might have quit reading after first ten pages of The Gunslinger and picked something different, and, again, either never have returned to the series, or not in years. But, luckily, both conditions combined propitiously... I am not sure TDOTT is the best, but certainly one of the best (for me, along with The Waste Lands and Wolves... with Song close behind, by the way)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it mean Jean that you didn't like the Gunslinger?

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Precisely. Didn't like it then, and don't like it now.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Precisely. Didn't like it then, and don't like it now.
    Wow.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I really really love TDotT. It isn't my favorite but it's hands down a book i like to keep close by. You can just open the book anywhere and start reading. It is a good time.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    This was the one that really got me hooked.
    Same here, this book is where the series really sunk its hooks into me. A DT junkie ever since.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was the same of course. I wanted to find out what happened to Roland after that bastard dropped Jake.

(weird to think Jake was actually gone for a while during that time--like dead to me)

But the story itself is so cool--the whole thing with forcing Detta and Odetta to realize each other was huge for me and I agree that the story could flat stand alone.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was the book that hooked me as well. The Gunslinger was/is a good book but not a "hook me" book. I was a bit surprised on my first reading of TDotT that Jake appeared again. I thought for sure he was done, regardless of the "other worlds than these" line.

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't think he was done, but I didn't think he'd come back so soon, either.

Country
    Country Flag

If I thought anything at all, if was, WTF? What is this - overdrawn exercise in symbolism? A poem in prose? That damned long???

... and then there was the Drawing Of The Three, and it was a real King novel, and God was in His heaven and all right with the world!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

^ yes, it was very Ray Bradbury-ish!

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that TDOTT was the best DT book but that Wolves... could be a close tie but why is every one taking about TDOTT when The Stand is better than every single DT book ever.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ikilledthecrimsonking View Post
    I thought that TDOTT was the best DT book but that Wolves... could be a close tie but why is every one taking about TDOTT when The Stand is better than every single DT book ever.
    Check the name of the site, traveller.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I think we've got ourselves a troll Letti my love.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah, he's not a troll.

I can understand the "love of Stand" but it would have been impossible to make a whole site around it.

As a group, the DT books are nearer and dearer to me but that is my favorite King book I think.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Near and Dear does sum up DT books

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ikilledthecrimsonking View Post
    Check the name of the site, traveller.
    Not to mention the location of the thread. The Baronies: The Drawing of the Three.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

DOTT is my favorite of the series. It just blazes along. I get the feeling King wrote it on some "high" artificial or otherwise-possibly in one 40 straight hour sitting.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    It just blazes along. I get the feeling King wrote it on some "high" artificial or otherwise-possibly in one 40 straight hour sitting.
    Yeah, and Song of Susannah also feels that way to me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Traveler Sinistar is on a distinguished road Sinistar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"The Gunslinger" was great, but when I read "The Drawing Of The Three", it had a totally different feel from the first and it had everything that you could ever want in a book (the mafia, drug bust, a blazing gun battle - like what Spencer brought up).

I pretty much think that the books complement each other, although some books are better than others.
    "What have I become? My sweetest friend...everyone I know goes away in the end...and you can have it all...my empire of dirt...I will let you down...I will make you hurt..." --Trent Reznor

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with most of the comments above. It's definitely the adhesive that holds most of the series together, IMO. It's the book that got me hooked-after the somewhat curious, plodding structure of The Gunslinger-and which motivated me to want to see what happened to Roland, Susannah, Jake, and Eddie. In a sense it's the most important book in the series, even if it is not my absolute favorite and has a host of contradictions. I also think it has the single best action sequence in the entire series, which would make for a kick-ass scene if this is ever adapted to film.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast