Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 2012-2013 Oscars! Hosted by Seth McFarlane.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The 2012-2013 Oscars! Hosted by Seth McFarlane.

It's that time of the year again! So it looks like Seth McFarlane will be hosting this upcoming Oscars ceremony

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/0...cars-breaking/

Pros? He's energetic, a relatively fresh face in mainstream Hollywood. Cons? His special brand of comedy might not be to everyone's liking, and he can be a bit of a one trick pony with his Family Guy impersonations.

-----

Anyway, on the the films themselves : What films have stood out for you this year? Performances?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The last installment of the "Dark Knight" trilogy should garner accolades, no? Or did TDK gleam a few "A" list awards? I forget...
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The pompous assholes over at the Academy decided to rule The Dark Knight as ineligible for Best Picture because it was a "comic book movie". A bit myopic if you ask me. Heath did win for his portrayal of the Joker, however.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not really a fan of Seth, but don't hate him either.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    His special brand of comedy might not be to everyone's liking, and he can be a bit of a one trick pony with his Family Guy impersonations.
    This pretty much sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    The last installment of the "Dark Knight" trilogy should garner accolades, no? Or did TDK gleam a few "A" list awards? I forget...
    I doubt that TDKR will get nominations for any awards aside from the technical ones. If there was ever a time for a Batman film to win Best Picture, it was The Dark Knight.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The pompous assholes over at the Academy decided to rule The Dark Knight as ineligible for Best Picture because it was a "comic book movie". A bit myopic if you ask me. Heath did win for his portrayal of the Joker, however.
    No, it's not a comic book movie; it's a movie that happens to be based on a comic book. If it's best they shouldn't let their judgement be skewed by their own prejudgements.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Not really a fan of Seth, but don't hate him either.

His special brand of comedy might not be to everyone's liking, and he can be a bit of a one trick pony with his Family Guy impersonations.
    This pretty much sums it up.

I doubt that TDKR will get nominations for any awards aside from the technical ones. If there was ever a time for a Batman film to win Best Picture, it was The Dark Knight.
    You are so right!! I was just using the Academy's LOTR logic.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's that time of the year again!
    I can't fucking believe it...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    No, it's not a comic book movie; it's a movie that happens to be based on a comic book. If it's best they shouldn't let their judgement be skewed by their own prejudgements.
    Yup. History of Violence had two nominations and that was based on a graphic novel. I think they just don't want to have Batman nominated because it's too low brow for them.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Yup. History of Violence had two nominations and that was based on a graphic novel. I think they just don't want to have Batman nominated because it's too low brow for them.
    Unfortunately, you are probably spot on!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I think they just don't want to have Batman nominated because it's too low brow for them.
    That was my thought, too. I don't understand the Academy anymore. Their thoughs and decisions constantly contradict each other.

You are so right!! I was just using the Academy's LOTR logic.
    Yeah, I guess LOTR was nominated because it had more "intelligent" source material. Doesn't mean that it's true, but that's what I'd say their logic was.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ricky, I was of the opinion that they waited until the last installment to heap on the accolades, but I could be wrong.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

That sounds familiar, but it's been so long that I can't remember for sure.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yanks are set to win the division this evening!! 9-1 in the 7th!!! If anyone cares!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Time flies!

I'm not totally sold on MacFarlane as host. He's kind of annoying to me. He comes off as over confident and cocky. I've seen him host a few Comedy Central roasts and he's pretty funny. I was a fan of Family Guy when it aired originally, but couldn't get back into it when it came back. I feel the show relies too much on pop culture references for its laughs. I love pop culture references, but it's a little much sometimes. My views on Family Guy is summed up in the South Park episode about Family Guy.

Like Gilbert Gotfried said at one of the roasts, it's very hard for Seth to do a roast because the Simpsons haven't done it yet. Since the Simpsons haven't hosted the Oscars yet, we could be fucked.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone think "Prometheus" has any kind of shot? I thought it was a really well done, thought provoking flick. Then again, the Academy does tend to shun "Sci-Fi", right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

They tend to shun a lot of great movies.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone think "Prometheus" has any kind of shot? I thought it was a really well done, thought provoking flick. Then again, the Academy does tend to shun "Sci-Fi", right?
    I really enjoyed Prometheus, but I thought it was going to better than it was. I came away a tad disappointed but that's probably because I built it up in my mind so much. I don't think it will get nominated for best film. The only chance it has are technical awards. If I had to choose a major award, I would say Fassbender for best supporting actor.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely love Seth and his sense of humor. I only hope that he doesn't have to tune it down too much for the oscars.

He had me in tears during his Comedy Central Roasts that he hosted, and while I'm obviously not expacting that kind of himour, I do hope he brings a bit of "he didn't just say that did he" with him....

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Seth McFarlane is the voice of a generation. Not his own generation, but still. He has unstoppably succeeded because he's just the ideal personality to represent contemporary sensibilities.
    Naturally, I don't like him.
    They have been having trouble for a few years now getting a host that clicks.
    This might work, which scares me a bit.
    Oh well, I'm sure that it won't be a real bad thing as long as Ted does not get nominated!

Country
    Country Flag

I think it's safe to say that they could get a rock to host the Oscars, and it'd be better than Franco last year (I had no problems with Hathaway).
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I think that sounds about right. Seems like those names are the consensus names I've been hearing. I think PTA might be able to sneak in. Also, the director of Amour could get in there. That movie is on fire right now. If I had to choose, I would say Tarantino gets in there. Django is hot right now. I could see Hooper being left out.

Also, Billy Crystal hosted last year. He wasn't nearly as memorable as in the past. He was still better than Franco/Hathaway the year before. Not Hathaway's fault, she was trying to carry him, but he was like an anchor.

Well, Oscar nominations come out Thursday. This is always an exciting time of year. Because I'm bored, I'm going to predict some nominations:

Best Picture
    1. Argo
    2. Lincoln
    3. Zero Dark Thirty
    4. Les Miserables
    5. Silver Linings Playbook
    6. Amour
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Skyfall
    Life of Pi

Best Actor
    1. Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
    2. John Hawkes, The Sessions
    3. Denzel Washington, Flight
    4. Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
    5. Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook

You may hear Phoenix's name for The Master, but his disdain for the Oscars and everything that goes along with it means there is no way they honor him with a nomination.

Best Actress
    1. Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
    2. Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
    3. Naomi Watts, The Impossible
    4. Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
    5. Hellen Mirren, Hitchock

Mirren is my surprise pick here. There's always one. Hitchock was underwhelming, but her performance is supposed to be really good. I've heard a lot about the little girl from Beasts of the Southern Wild, but I think she is just too young.

Best Supporting Actress
    1. Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
    2. Sally Field, Lincoln
    3. Helen Hunt, The Sessions
    4. Amy Adams, The Master
    5. Samantha Barks, Les Miserables

Most lists I've seen aren't even mentioning Barks. I'm just going on a hunch here. Plus, I'm not crazy about any of the other possibilities. Barks is a newcomer that really outshines some huge actors in the second half of Les Miserables. If she gets a nomination, I will look like a genius.

Best Supporting Actor
    1. Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
    2. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
    3. Robert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook
    4. Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained
    5. Leonardo diCaprio, Django Unchained

This was a hard one. I really like Arkin's performance in Argo and the Academy likes to reward comedic performances in the supporting category. I just think DiCaprio is so good in Django as a charmingly evil slave owner. He plays against type, which the Academy loves. Leo has never won, but he could take home his first Oscar. It's not going to be easy to beat Waltz who's equally as captivating in Django. Waltz has already won though and it was only 2 years ago. The other competition will be tough too. Should be interesting.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Also, Billy Crystal hosted last year. He wasn't nearly as memorable as in the past. He was still better than Franco/Hathaway the year before. Not Hathaway's fault, she was trying to carry him, but he was like an anchor.

Well, Oscar nominations come out Thursday. This is always an exciting time of year. Because I'm bored, I'm going to predict some nominations:

Best Picture
    1. Argo
    2. Lincoln
    3. Zero Dark Thirty
    4. Les Miserables
    5. Silver Linings Playbook
    6. Amour
    7. Django Unchained
    8. Skyfall
    Life of Pi
    Ah! I totally forgot Billy Crystal hosted last year. I guess that tells you how memorable I thought he was.

I can't wait until Thursday. Not 100% sure on all of the BP nominees, but I'd bet money on a few (Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Les Miserables, and Django Unchained). Lots of films getting buzz, so I'm wondering if the Academy will go with the full 10, or less.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate to say it, but Billy Crystal really wasn't very memorable at all last year. You're right. He's my favorite Oscar host, but something was off.

I think you might also be right about 10 films getting nominated. I could really see that happening. Nine films were nominated last year for best picture, and that was a weaker year for film. In the eyes of many that is.

Country
    Country Flag

I definitely thought last year was a weaker year for film (compared to this year's offerings). I don't think I've seen too many of the probable nominees, but will before the show. And it's also nice to see some "darker" films getting some buzz (Zero Dark Thirty, Django, Les Miserables). Don't get me wrong, last year has some good films, but they were fairly lighthearted, in my opinion (Hugo, The Help, Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, etc. I didn't see War Horse so can't comment on that one). Nothing in the vein of Black Swan, Winter's Bone, or True Grit from a couple years back.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast