Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Sickest Stephen King Sex Scenes

Hybrid View

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Top 5 Sickest Stephen King Sex Scenes

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artatt...sex_scenes.php
    Stephen King is brilliant. He really is, despite being a mainstream media darling. His books are held up as some of the finest examples of modern literature, are taught in schools, and have been made into Academy Award-wining movies. Not bad for a talent written off as just a hack horror novelist in the beginning.

And yet, there is an area of the man's writing that is consistently sick and twisted, even for the guy that gave us Pennywise the Clown, and that is how he approaches sex and its depictions. He is occasionally capable of a tender scene, such when Johnny Smith and Sarah finally spend one night together in the Dead Zone, or Tommy and Sue in the backseat of his car during Carrie. He's even given us examples of fine smut such as Nadine seducing Harold in the Stand, or Rachel soothing Lou in the bathtub with a handjob after a bloody day losing a patient in Pet Semetary.

But in general, whenever sex comes up in a Stephen King novel it's usually bad news, and will probably leave you filled more with crushing lack of faith in humanity than sexual stimulation.

Spoiler:
    5. Anal With a Handgun in The Stand
    In the restored version of the Stand, the pyromaniac Trashcan Man gets a lot more exposition, especially when it comes to his journey from Powtanville, Indiana after he blows up the Cheery Oil Company, burning himself badly in the process, and his eventual arrival in Las Vegas to enter the service of Randall Flagg as a weapons procurer. Along the way he ends up the unwitting company of a young psychopath who goes by "The Kid".

The Kid lives for four things, his fast car, Pabst Blue Ribbon, well-coifed hair, and getting to Vegas to start telling Flagg what to do. His insane behavior gets him and Trash almost killed several times, but the real freak-out is when Trash wakes up one night to find a horny Kid in bed with him rubbing his wang on Trash's thigh demanding Trash jerk him off.

Hoping to get the murderous little midget settled and away from him, Trash complies, but apparently not enough to satisfy The Kid, who starts working the barrel of his gun into Trash's ass as a threat to continue the act. Against his own will, this ends up exciting Trash as well, though The Kid declines to offer any kind of reciprocity.

It's a special kind of prick that invades a man's dirt button with a loaded weapon while getting rough tugged and not even have the decency to offer a reacharound. That guy totally deserved to get eaten by wolves.

4. Electro-rape in Apt Pupil
    In Apt Pupil, a preteen boy named Todd discovers a notorious Nazi war criminal living in secret in his small town. Rather than turn him in, he approaches Kurt Dussander in order to learn more about the Holocaust straight from the bastard horse's mouth, threatening him with exposure if he doesn't comply.

Dussander describes in great detail the atrocities committed in the concentration camps over the course of many years, and as Todd grows up the exposure to such inhumane cruelty begins to warp his mind into something dark and evil.

King shows Todd's first wet dream as a teenager. In it, he is an assistant to Dussander in a medical experiment involving a 16-year-old Jewish girl. Dussander orders Todd to strap on an insulated condom that delivers electric shocks from the tip. Todd uses this to rape the girl, slowly increasing the voltage until she is screaming uncontrollably before waking up covered in semen. Speaking of semen...

3. Licking Semen-Stained Sheets in Dedication
    Dedication is not one of Stephen King's better short stories, and may in fact be the worse. It's the tale of a black maid who cleans the room a famous, but personally loathsome writer frequently rents. The writer has the habit of compulsively masturbating in the bed, leaving the stained sheets for the maid to clean up since he's apparently too precious to use a gym sock like a gentleman.

The maid, who is pregnant, randomly decides one day that instead of just throwing away the cool and drying spooge, she'll start licking it up instead. In the book, this is apparently some kind of bizarre, magical compulsion she has that will somehow enhance her unborn son with manonaise from the rich, talented, and successful.

Believe it or not, there is a really strange element of science involved with this. Dr. Gustaaf Dekker of the University of Adelaide found in a study that a woman who regularly ingests semen during oral sex finds herself at a significantly reduced risk of miscarriage. The theory is that getting the female body used to exposure to male genetic material makes it less likely that her immune system will attack a fetus baring those traits.

Keep in mind, this only works with the father of the child, so lapping up jungle juice off of a fart-smelling hotel sheet won't really do any good preventing miscarriage, and under no circumstances does swallowing a load give a baby talents or skills. Otherwise groupies would have birthed an army of Hendrixes and Claptons by now. On the other hand, it might explain the elevated level of douchebags in the world.

2. The Incredibly Detailed Child Rape in the Library Policeman
    A lackluster novella in Four Past Midnight, the Library Policeman follows an insurance salesman named Sam as he unwittingly falls into a trap set up by a demonic librarian to kill him and assume his identity in order continue her life as a murderer of children. Yeah, it's not really a very deep book, easily the weakest in a collection that already pretty much sucks save for the excellence of the Langoliers.

Sam hates libraries, and as he moves to his final confrontation with the demon we see why in a dream of a repressed memory on a plane. When Sam a little boy, he was returning some overdue books when a, man stopped him outside the library. The man claims to be a policeman, and orders Sam to come with him to pay the fine on his books.

The fine ends up being a prolonged anal rape of the boy, and I do mean prolonged. The grown man forces his massive penis into Sam's ass as he's forced against a wall, all described with intimate detail of almost every thrust for four whole agonizing pages.

It's the sort of thing that if a director put in a film he would probably be cockpunched to death for, but King keeps it going and going and going. It may in fact be the most detailed sex scene in all his work, save one.

1. The Children's Gangbang in It
    It is probably the first book in the chronological King bibliography where you can point and say, "Here is where editors stopped telling King to rein that shit in." The novel of a shapeshifting, child-hunting demon named Pennywise is almost 1,100 pages long. Still, it's a good tale about the power of friendship and the strength of childhood imagination. In fact, it's exactly that that helps seven kids overcome an ancient evil.

That being said, apparently overcoming being lost in the sewers can only be done by having six 11-year-old boys sequentially fuck an 11-year-old girl... by her invitation.

Seriously, the gang has just brought about the end (At least they believe so) of a pan-dimensional monster in mortal combat. They've slain something that's claimed thousands of lives in their town in the most gruesome manner imaginable, but suddenly the concept of tunnels is just too much to overcome without a sudden, magical orgy.

And it's all the girl, Beverly's, idea. She realizes that the group needs "bringing back together" and the only way to do that is to lose her virginity in a mass hump session.

To be fair, it's actually portrayed with a lot of love, certainly in comparison to the parade of sexual atrocity that's preceded it on this list, but no matter how many references to affection, bird-watching, lazy days spent reading funny books, or poetry, it's still seven pages of a grade-school group sex session. Its sheer randomness lands it the top spot.

Did I mention the Bill Denbrough, the guy that gets sloppy sixths, is pretty much a transparent stand-in for King himself?

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...interesting. I must say that by the time I got to the orgy in IT I was pretty emotionally worn the fuk out! That scene was purdy powerful in my opinion. I thought King did an awesome job with it. Was it necessary? Umm...probably not. But i will say that it made my eyes budge and I thought OMG WTF!

Speaking of crazy arse sex scenes...everyone needs to check out the Walmart Bathroom scene as described in Chuck Palahnuik's PYGMY. It's insanely written, comical and just fuk'ed up.

Gabriel
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Dedication is my favorite. Twisted but absolutely essential to the story.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Dedication for the first time about a month or so ago. What a ridiculously bad story, IMO.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I read Dedication for the first time about a month or so ago. What a ridiculously bad story, IMO.
    I didn't say it was a good story (although I enjoyed it more than some King short stories), just that the sex part was crucial to the story-otherwise the story doesn't exist. Of the other sex scenes--4 in the top 5, any/all of them could have been excised (The Stand was added) and the story would have been fine without it.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

A tie between the one in the beginning of Gerald's Game and the Speaking Demon rape in The Wastelands, IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the one in Christine where she takes it in the tailpipe.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meh, out of all the things in It, the Losers' "orgy" was the last thing I was disturbed about. I mean I'm not going to ask why people are offended by it, but I do find it a bit baffling that it rank above a child being anally raped in terms of being sick.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Meh, out of all the things in It, the Losers' "orgy" was the last thing I was disturbed about. I mean I'm not going to ask why people are offended by it, but I do find it a bit baffling that it rank above a child being anally raped in terms of being sick.
    It didn't disturb me. I understood it as a rite of passage/bonding-something that was done differently than most stories. King could have had them do the "blood brother" bonding, but it would have been trite.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Meh, out of all the things in It, the Losers' "orgy" was the last thing I was disturbed about.
    Precisely.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I thought it was ridiculous! I hated that whole section... Not because it was sex and kids, not because it was disturbing, I just thought, "THIS is what he comes up with????"
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes, I felt something like this too. If anything, the scene was anticlimactic comparing with the rest of the book.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Agreed
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

That scene in It ruined the whole book for me.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Somehow Gerald's Game and Rose Madder are not bought up. Isn't there a section in Rose Madder where
    Spoiler:
    She is getting a tennis racket hammered in her ass?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I remember now there's a scene in the Dark Half where someone's penis is cut off and stuffed in his mouth... if that counts.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

God! You people are Sooooo judgemental. Y'all are making this stuff sound like it's sick or perverted. What is wrong with y'all?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    God! You people are Sooooo judgemental. Y'all are making this stuff sound like it's sick or perverted. What is wrong with y'all?
    I'm not even gonna go there, Brice. You love the movie "Seven" for all the wrong reasons, right? LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

On a related note:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pag...for-rape-scene
    Banning books is a dumb idea, but that hasn't stopped people from trying. On the heels of Banned Books Week comes the news that a high school in Rocklin, Calif., a suburb of Sacramento, is considering a ban on a Stephen King book because it contains a passage in which a woman is raped with a sex object.

The news was first reported by a Sacramento CBS affiliate.

The school in question, Rocklin High School, removed King's story collection "Different Seasons" from shelves after a parent complained about "Art Pupil." In that story – which was made into a 1998 film starring the late Brad Renfro and Ian McKellen – Todd Bowden, a young man in California befriends an elderly man, Kurt Dussander, who is a Nazi war criminal. In the supposedly offensive passage, Dussander watches as Todd cruelly rapes a woman. The rape is graphically described in a passage of one-and-a-half pages. The book also contains well-known stories like "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" and "The Body," which became the film "Stand by Me."

According to CBS, Rocklin school officials removed the book from the library after the complaint. However, one level-headed student, Amanda Wong, raised an objection to the committee in question.

Here's the kicker: "Wong was also on that committee, and was the only one opposed to pulling the book. She was outnumbered, but it didn't stop her from being outspoken, especially because she's the only one who read the entire thing."

Well, then. If you're going to ban a book, then you should at least read it. Otherwise, you risk looking like a self-righteous fool.

As a former English teacher, I would probably not give "Art Pupil" to my students – but only because I don't think it's good literature, not because it contains a rape scene. Rape does happen. Cruelty does happen. Nazis happened. If you don't want your kids to know these things exist, buy an island in the South Pacific. Or, at least, get rid of your television and Internet.

At the very least, read the book in question. After the rape, Todd has the following realization: "There was only one way he coud get himself back again. He would have to kill Dussander. It was the only way. Games were done; storytime was over. This was survival."

Again, I think this is heavy-handed, clumsy prose. But it is clear that King is trying to make a moral point, with Todd at least wanting (if not achieving) redemption. I am fairly confident a seventh-grader would recognize that King is not glorifying rape or any other aspect of Dussander's revolting character.

Over in Rocklin, though, the fate of King's book hangs in the balance. After the school committee voted to pull the book, Wong went to the local school board, where her argument convinced the district to rethink the ban. According to CBS, the book is available at Rocklin High School again while the district weighs what to do.

Either way, we commend Amanda Wong for having a mind of her own.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Good for Wong. Sorry to hear of book banning anywhere, but surprised this is in my state (California), that is generally considered to be a progressive state.

Country
    Country Flag

A bit more detail on this:

http://www.mercurynews.com/books/ci_...n-stephen-king
    Amanda Wong had never read a Stephen King book until she joined a committee reviewing whether one should be banned from her high school's library.

Now, Wong is fighting to ensure "Different Seasons," a collection of King's short stories, remains on the shelves after a parent complained about a graphic rape scene in the short story "Apt Pupil."

"This opens a door to censoring other materials," Wong, 17, said Monday.

Wong was a student representative on a committee that voted to ban "Different Seasons" from the library at Rocklin High, in a suburb of Sacramento.

Wong was the lone person to vote against banning King's book. She said, at the time of the vote, she was also the only person who had read the entire collection, which includes the stories adapted into the movies "The Shawshank Redemption," "Stand By Me" and "Apt Pupil." The last is about a boy who discovers that his elderly neighbor is a Nazi war criminal.

"It's such an important decision; you have to read the entire book," Wong said.

The decision to ban the book came on the heels of the 30th annual Banned Books Week, an effort by the American Library Association, along with publishers, teachers and readers, aimed at "liberating literature."

After the Rocklin High committee voted to ban the book, Wong spoke against the decision at a school district board meeting on Oct. 3. After listening to Wong, Rocklin Unified Superintendent Kevin
    Brow overturned the committee's decision.

"They failed to recognize that there are other high schools in our district, and we need input from all sectors of our district," Brown said.

A districtwide committee will meet this week to begin reviewing "Different Seasons." That committee has 30 days to make a decision on whether the book can be offered to high school students.

Brown said in his nearly two decades with the district, Rocklin Unified has never banned a library book or classroom reading material.

"I've read it," Brown said. "I think the book has merit. The committee will be charged with making the final decision."

That decision is being watched by the American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom, said the group's assistant director, Angela Maycock.

"Our office has been keeping track of challenges since the 1980s," Maycock said. "It's something we are very concerned about."

Maycock said the stories contained in "Different Seasons" have been publicly challenged a handful of times since it was released in 1982. King's other work, however, has been routinely challenged, Maycock said.

"When there is public attention drawn to these situations, the outpouring of support for individuals to read and think for themselves is very powerful," she said.

Herbert Foerstel, author of a reference guide of banned books in American schools, called the Rocklin's brief decision to ban King's book "absolutely outrageous."

"If a book is assigned and a student is obliged to read it, at least one could make a religious freedom argument and ask for an alternative book to be assigned," Foerstel said. "But remove a book from a library where reading it is voluntary? No one should allow that under any circumstances."

Wong said she is drafting a letter asking that those on the committee reviewing "Different Seasons" read the stories in their entirety.

"Even if the book gets banned, I hope that the process is more carefully done and more public," Wong said. "My biggest concern is that issues like this aren't transparent."

Wong said she recently checked the Rocklin High library shelves for "Different Seasons."

"Someone checked it out," she said.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,3090613.story

Think about Stephen King books with disturbing themes and the tale of the Overlook, a malevolent hotel, might come to mind, or Christine, a malevolent Plymouth. As a bestselling horror novelist, King made his bones and his fortune by frightening the wits out of readers. Yet it was his collection of non-horror novellas with themes more societal than scary that was briefly banned this month from a high school outside Sacramento.

"Different Seasons" isn't on the American Library Assn.'s inventory of 100 most frequently challenged books (the Harry Potter series tops the most recent list), but a rape scene in one story led to a complaint from a parent at Rocklin High School. The book wasn't part of any course curriculum; instead, it was available in the school library for students to read or check out. Two of its stories have been made into movies: "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Stand by Me."

A school committee voted to pull the book from the library shelves, with only 17-year-old senior Amanda Wong dissenting. The other members of the committee, all adults, reportedly didn't even read the book through before voting.

Amanda complained to the school board and got results. The superintendent ordered the book placed back on the shelves while a districtwide committee considers the matter. That committee should recommend keeping the book.

Picking tomes for a school library is a sensitive business. Unlike the books at a public library, which must appeal to the broadest spectrum of the community, school librarians usually comply with policies set by individual school districts. Within that policy, as the designated experts on literature, they must choose books that are appropriate in content and difficulty for students at various grade levels. Collections generally include books that tie in with the curriculum, books that challenge and uplift as well as those that are simply engaging enough to entice students to read. Books that are part of course work are more tightly controlled because all students are required to read them. But in the library, students should have a choice.

There might be rare instances in which a school should override the librarian's decisions, when a book clearly violates any acceptable standard for youth — as, say, "The Story of O" would. But the overriding philosophy should be to keep books on the shelves in almost all circumstances, valuing access to ideas, even unpopular ideas, over the objections of one faction or another. Books for high schools do not need to be utterly devoid of disturbing material, which abounds in classic literature, to be worth reading. The murder-suicide committed by an impoverished little boy in Thomas Hardy's "Jude the Obscure" is arguably more horrifying than anything King ever dished up.

A single complaint about a single scene in a book is not valid grounds for taking it off the shelves. Fortunately, a student was there to teach the adults that banning books is a serious matter that calls for more careful consideration.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default School District Keeps DIFFERENT SEASONS on Library Shelves

A recent decision by the Rocklin, California, Unified School District is proof that a single dissenting voice can help keep books on library shelves. Late last week, a district-wide review committee decided to keep Stephen King’s collection of novellas, Different Seasons, on high school library shelves. CBLDF joined the Kids Right to Read Project to defend the novel in a letter addressed to the school district.
    http://cbldf.org/2012/11/school-dist...brary-shelves/

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

A ray of sanity! Amazing!

John

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

How about
    Spoiler

Think they would knock any of those others out of the top five?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast