Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Callahan's Story *Spoilers*

Gunslinger Apprentice lowdown is on a distinguished road lowdown's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Wuducynn View Post
    I do love that we got to see what happened to Callahan after he bailed out of Jerusalems Lot, but how it connects with and expands on things within the Dark Tower series is whats the most important to me.
    yea i agree ...but cound'nt have King just brought in any caracter from any book .....but the father was probally the best choice i guess.......or jack Sawyer maybe

I'm nonviolent with those who are nonviolent with me. But when you drop that violence on me, then you've made me go INSANE, and I'm not responsible for what I do

Malcolm X

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I think Faddah Callahan the False Priest was intended by King to be involved in the Dark Tower Series from awhile back. Originally I don't think King had any intention of connecting The Talisman with the Dark Tower Series until Straub told him he wanted the next book to be Dark Tower connected.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by soapmaker19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I always thought it was a bit dodgy when Calahan chose to have some graf whilst telling his story. Being a recovering alcoholic and all.
    Pretty sure that was just regular cider, not graf. I'll have to check. If you're right that's an even more glaring discrepancy than the boots.
    Possibly. My point really was that he is a recovering alcoholic and cider (be it graf or not) is alcoholic. Of course it might be possible that certain drinks are less, erm, moreish for alcoholics, kind of like how drug addicts become addicted to a specific type of drug. I don't think it's the case with drinks though as the drug is the same in all of them; alcohol.

Anyhow not a big deal. Seems ages ago that I made that post. Curiously, I was just thinking again about the boots/clothing discrepancy the other day too. I know King tends to write his books in the same order in which we read them with little in way of plot design before hand. I wonder if at the point he wrote about the boots he had a different idea of the details of Callahan's translocation* between worlds and the boots were missed in the edit.

*My browser spellchecker complains at the spelling of this word without providing an alternate (except other words). I'm sure 'translocation' is a word right? If not, I'm sure you know what I mean.

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by soapmaker19 View Post
    I always thought it was a bit dodgy when Calahan chose to have some graf whilst telling his story. Being a recovering alcoholic and all.
    Pretty sure that was just regular cider, not graf. I'll have to check. If you're right that's an even more glaring discrepancy than the boots.
    Possibly. My point really was that he is a recovering alcoholic and cider (be it graf or not) is alcoholic. Of course it might be possible that certain drinks are less, erm, moreish for alcoholics, kind of like how drug addicts become addicted to a specific type of drug. I don't think it's the case with drinks though as the drug is the same in all of them; alcohol.

Anyhow not a big deal. Seems ages ago that I made that post. Curiously, I was just thinking again about the boots/clothing discrepancy the other day too. I know King tends to write his books in the same order in which we read them with little in way of plot design before hand. I wonder if at the point he wrote about the boots he had a different idea of the details of Callahan's translocation* between worlds and the boots were missed in the edit.

*My browser spellchecker complains at the spelling of this word without providing an alternate (except other words). I'm sure 'translocation' is a word right? If not, I'm sure you know what I mean.
    I know it's not a big deal or anything, but I think the confusion might be that he makes a grimace at one point towards the end, as if he were drinking whisky. Pretty sure it was just apple cider, which is not always alcoholic. There is hard cider and then the stuff they serve to children. I thought the point that he hadn't had a drink since coming to the Calla was stated, but I could be wrong about that, and mixing it up with my own perception of it.

I'm curious about the boots too! I have to check that other thread out. I wonder if you are on to something about it being missed in an edit.

Fear not the spellcheck:

Main Entry: trans-lo-ca-tion
    Function: noun

"The act, process, or an instance of changing location or position."

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i have just re-read the Pere's story and have enjoyed it more the second time round. When I first read it I loved to see the Pere again and see what happended after he left the Lot and since Salems Lot is one of my favs it was all good.

My fav bits are the highways in hiding - I could almost hear their call myself heheh But it's so sad as well with what happens to Lupe and Rowan etc Then with him waking up at the Way station - that was cool.

I don't think it was too long it was an interesting diversion and I have always liked King's backstories for characters in books and this is just another example of that.

Traveler dsimp13 is on a distinguished road

Default Saviors from the Hitler Bros

One thing about Callahan's story (and subsequently future events) revolves around Tower and Deepneau saving Callahan. I was confused the first time, then thought i missed something, read back, and still don't know...how can Jake immediately say "Oh, Tower and Deepneau?" The only sort of evidence I can see is the ring, but when asked by Eddie, Tower says he has no idea. Is it just one of those times that Jake doesn't know why he knows, but he knows? Or am I missing something?

Traveler SalSolomon is on a distinguished road

I'd like to read more about what Tower, Deepneau, Cullum, and Carver get up to. How do they get started? What kinds of tricks do they pull on North Central and Sombra?

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

What I don't like about Callahan's story: Why's he gotta be gay? That part pretty much offended me, as a catholic.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Do you really imagine there aren't gay preachers? Catholic or otherwise? How can you be offended by it? There are people of all sorts why shouldn't there be characters of all sorts?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a Catholic, I am not offended. Nor am I offended as a male, a bear, a straight, a Russian, a married man etc.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I've got a paperback of Wizard and Glass from Signet (purplish cover with Maerlyn's Grapefruit of Lookout's skull), and there's an afterword that mentions Callahan showing up in the series. Does anyone know if that was in the original release of the novel?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe the original Grant edition had an afterward that mentioned that too. I'm not absolutely certain right now though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4