Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anybody play music?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Yeah william. I wished my parents would have gotten me introduced to playing music when I was younger. Its hard take the time you need to get better after you are out in the world. Keep it up.

Gunslinger Apprentice devo133 is on a distinguished road devo133's Avatar

Default Anyone Play an Instrument?

Does anyone play an instrument? You can post any vids you'd like to share here. Here's me playing along to RHCP's Soul to Squeeze on my strat. I f'd up near the end lol, got distracted switching on my chorus pedal

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osWAmtisWfs"]YouTube - RHCP's Soul To Squeeze[/ame]

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

the smilie tags fucked it up. Try just posting the address, it'll embed automatically.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Gunslinger Apprentice devo133 is on a distinguished road devo133's Avatar

aha! there we go thanks!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I used to play drums in a local punk band, but I don't think there are any videos of our shows.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

no problem. I don't play any instruments, but I wish I did. My parents never could afford lessons for us. My kids will learn guitar for sure, and maybe even piano.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been slowly learning how to play the guitar for years. It's the kind of thing I intend to progress through my whole life so I'm in no rush. I don't know many complete songs and my taste ranges from Elton John to Slipknot so there is a lot of variation and different types of guitar to play. I picked it up late, after all my friends were already badass with it so I felt really behind compared to the rest of the group. I'm not even concerned with learning songs right now, just getting a feel for the guitar. Making that entire thing to be embedded in my psyche so when I see 8th fret on D string it's instantaneous.

I've bean learning many scales, alternate picking, finger tapping and practicing slides, hammers, bends, vibratos etc. from making my own stuff up. Sometimes I just strum with 20 chords I know and practice making rhytms and beats. Strumming to me is incredibly infuriating because I'm not very good at it and while I know the chords from looking at a tab, I've no clue how long to play it for, how fast to strum, if it should be up or down stroke, which strings to hit and I have to listen for the song for this but other pieces of the music distract me from learning that exactly, say lead interferes or the singing and I say 'to hell with it' and never get around to finishing it. There are a lot of simple songs I've learned like Green Day yet I'm so completely uninterested on strumming powercords and playing mono-string solos because it's not that fun. Yet I'm not good enough yet to learn Nothing Else Matters (though I can play the first 45 seconds like gold) or Paint It Black.

Funny, my friend Austin plays guitar so weird. He's left handed but never had a left handed guitar to play so he plays a right handed guitar upside down. Tabs are straight forward to him. He says because he's so used to it it's easy to play but some parts of songs can be really challenging to learn or, the odd case, completely impossible for him. Anyways, he's trying to teach me Stairway To Heaven while having a smoke. "It's really easy, it's not that difficult. You should be able to learn it." He starts playing it, gets about fifteen seconds in and stops, plays the next part and stops. "Okay, this part is pretty hard." and I say "but you just said it was easy!"

What's amazing is how good my friends are at guitar. One of them, lead guitar for their band, is fucking phenomenonal. The skills he has amassed over the years. Whenever he plays it seems as if he's not even trying and his bandmates often get angry that he's ahead of them. He actually has to downgrade to play their music, which itself is pretty quick and intricate.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I play guitar as well. Been playing for a little over 8 years at this point. I would hesitate to call myself anything other than a "hobbyist" though my playing has improved significantly in the last year or so. I don't read music, though I am learning. I'm trying to think of how to describe my personal "style," and all I can think to say is that if you know who Marc Ribot and Bill Frisell are, you can get a pretty good idea of the direction most of my playing takes. I also play bass and would LOVE to learn how to play piano once I learn to read music fully.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jayson: if my memory serves me well (which it does, because I have just checked), you started an exactly the same thread some time ago

devo133: there may be some merge coming soon...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jean, as you already know, you are correct. feel free to merge mine into Devo's or vice versa or however you do these things. it'd be good to get all of us musicians talking to each other in one place.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm about to merge this thread into the older similar thread.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I just bought a new telecaster. Black with white pick-guard. I'll try and post a pic soon so my friend from Florida (the toneslinger) can appreciate the new purchase.

you mean so i can formulate a "steal Ryan's Tele" plan? seriously, though, post pics bc i def want to see it. i will take some pics of my axes as well.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I can tell you, I play a mean "Stereo" I do! Many many moons ago when I was but a lad my sisters both played the Accordian - pretty goofy yep! We lived with my Grandparents and my grandmother just loved that lawrence Welk music! :-)

My kids all play or played at one time

Girls both played Violin
    Boys both played Violas; one also played Clarinet
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm trying to learn to play the Harmonica.

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

I've been playing blues harmonica since Novemeber. I love it. It's a very fun instrument...but a lot harder than it looks.

I dunno, looks pretty hard to me, at least when certain people play. I think I might be able to imitate Springsteen or somebody if I was dedicated for a while. If you play blues harmonica, is it tuned to E usually or G? Keep it up fellas.

i was just watching some live neil young this wknd and commenting to my wife that harmonica is not as easy as it looks, not to mention playing it, singing, and playing guitar at the same time as neil can do.

I was watching some old Springsteen footage recently and was really drawn to it as well. I really should try it out sometime. I do a lot of the singer/songwriter stuff (at least I try to anyways).

There was also a cool harmonica solo in a live performance of Jack Johnson's "Better Together" that was cool as hell. Settled, we must begin the harmonica Jayson. Thanks grillslinger.

i actually have little use for it in my own playing, but i do appreciate it's use

Gunslinger Apprentice Grillslinger is on a distinguished road Grillslinger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I dunno, looks pretty hard to me, at least when certain people play. I think I might be able to imitate Springsteen or somebody if I was dedicated for a while. If you play blues harmonica, is it tuned to E usually or G? Keep it up fellas.
    Diatonic harmonicas (which are the standard 10 hole harmonicas you see most often) come in different keys. So you would use a D harmonica for a song in key of D.

However, if you are playing blues, you want that minor seventh. To do this you'd use a harp that was four keeys up. For instance, you would use an F harp for a blues song in C. This is called cross-harp, or 2nd position.

Quote Originally Posted by Grillslinger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Diatonic harmonicas (which are the standard 10 hole harmonicas you see most often) come in different keys. So you would use a D harmonica for a song in key of D.

However, if you are playing blues, you want that minor seventh. To do this you'd use a harp that was four keeys up. For instance, you would use an F harp for a blues song in C. This is called cross-harp, or 2nd position.
    Thanks grillslinger. That makes sense, now that I think about it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I've never played any instruments, but I can tap my feet like nobody's business.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i played the trumpet for 2 years in junior high but i couldnt stand to be in the in band for another year with the crazy band teacher

thats right Mr.Wilkenson if your listening i quit band cause of you
    MACAIN FOR PRESIDENT

DONT VOTE HILARY

(SHES THE ANTICHRIST)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast