Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Anybody play music?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Well, if you want any tips on how to play the piano, just ask me!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I don't read music, and most of the materials I have seen on learning piano seem to require that I do. It's not that I can't learn, but was wondering how essential you think it is to learning basics of playing. I don't know how it compares to learning guitar where one can learn a few chord formations and scales through repetition and a good deal of practice can learn how to use those chords/scales to play any number of songs without being able to read them from sheet music. does that parallel in any way with piano?

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I am currently taking piano lessons from my MOM.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I don't read music, and most of the materials I have seen on learning piano seem to require that I do. It's not that I can't learn, but was wondering how essential you think it is to learning basics of playing. I don't know how it compares to learning guitar where one can learn a few chord formations and scales through repetition and a good deal of practice can learn how to use those chords/scales to play any number of songs without being able to read them from sheet music. does that parallel in any way with piano?
    Well, to be honest, you NEED to be able to read music for piano. I know that guitar doesn't require it, and if you understand chording you can do that on piano, but minimal music reading ability is needed for the keyboard.

THAT being said... you can learn to read music in about 30 minutes... no shit. I have taught people that fast to learn how to read. What it really takes is practice reading.
    If you really want some help in this area, PM me and maybe I can assist you.

Alinda, mommy teaching you, huh? I won't even teach my 6 year old anymore!
    Good luck!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Odetta, yeah my MOM is 85 and I am well 52. I have recently bought her a house, and we are living together for the first time since about 1974. Anyway she plays extremely well, and the is alot of time with just not alot for us to do ( how many word puzzles can you do a day? ) so I asked her if she would teach me....and its been really great. Our music tastes are not at all alike as you can imagine , but I am learning some classical stuff that I like very much.
    I am sure she wouldnt have tried to teach me @ 6 y/o either!! I would have been too busy doing something very much like this

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I play trombone, some baritone, tenor sax, some clarinet, some piano/keyboards, program drums and drum machines, and will be a Theremin player in a week (seriously!), and I was the only bass/low baritone in the school chamber choir.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

very cool ATG. i listened to some of those tracks. good stuff! which instrument[s] are you?

Country
    Country Flag

very cool ATG. i listened to some of those tracks. good stuff! which instrument[s] are you?

Mostly bass.

This site; http://www.7161.com/artist.cfm?user=...&music_group=2

if you scroll down, has a mix of stuff from all three of our records.

She's The Thing is a song I wrote the lyrics and did all guitars for.

I was going to sing it, but Scotti is too strong.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Country
    Country Flag

ps,

My wife is the female vocalist/violin player.

Her song Billy seems pretty strong.

You click the audiofile hi-fi and it will play.

very cool, i play some bass myself. i will def have to check out more of the tracks. that's awesome that your wife plays as well, it must be great fun to play music together.

Country
    Country Flag

very cool, i play some bass myself. i will def have to check out more of the tracks. that's awesome that your wife plays as well, it must be great fun to play music together.

lol, it drove me crazy!

Our 4th record will just be the three boyz.

7161 downloads are full length and free, so please enjoy and share all you like.

One of our songs " FrankandBunny " was actually well received via that site in the UK.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

R of G. I've played the guitar for about about 12 years. My musical tastes have changed/developed over the years. I stopped using a pick for about three years and tried voraciously to get better at finger picking. I've recently got my hands on a vintage telecaster and have been rediscovering the blues. I'm still heavily inclined toward the acoustic guitar.

very cool OJ. i just re-strung my acoustic last week after not playing with it for awhile, and i am remembering just how much i love it's tone.

Gunslinger Apprentice Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge will become famous soon enough Jorge's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheeky
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, let's see here... I'm a rather competent French Horn and trumpet player, though I've had experience with pretty much all brass instruments. I also have been teaching myself some piano, but my progress is a little slow so far. I've been known to play a little base from time to time as well, but nothing very intricate so far. Just basic stuff. Guitar will be next on the docket.

awesome jorge! between you and frunoblax my horn section is coming along nicely. we could all form a big orchestra and call ourselves "The Roland Deschain Ka-Tet"

very cool OJ. i just re-strung my acoustic last week after not playing with it for awhile, and i am remembering just how much i love it's tone.
    There's something about that natural feel and tone of plucking the strings with your fingers that you can't get with a pick. I've recently discovered that I like the tone a lot better when I finger pick my telecaster (at least when it comes to blues licks). I love the sound John Mayer gets on "Slow Dancing in Burning Room" which he finger picks during the lead parts. Continuum is a very fun album to play along to. Almost everything is in E.

i have been trying to learn to play slide, and have thus been playing a lot in open tunings, one being the open E favored by Duane Allman and Derek Trucks among others. I find it to be a very good key in which to improvise.

The last time I got into playing my acoustic I did find a variation of open G tuning that "sounds hawai'ian doesn't it" in which i love to play my take on "Brazil"

Sounds cool R of G. I don't fiddle in those much, but I had a period where I played a lot of DAGDAD and or slight variations. I haven't played much slide, but I applaud you on your effort. I would play around with more tunings but for a long time (being a starving student) I only had one guitar and it really is a pain in the ass to tune back and forth (especially during a live set). I had to keep it simple, and thus I did. More experimentation pending more funds.

agreed on the re-tuning, though it has helped my ear for pitch quite a bit. my slide playing is abyssmal, but i enjoyed playing without a slide in those tunings as well.

I really like Dashboard Confessional's very old stuff (Drowning EP, Swiss Army Romance, and Places You Have Come to Fear the Most). I listened to Dashboard when Chris was still selling CD's out of his trunk after Further Seems Forever shows. Learning his early stuff was how I stumbled into DAGDAD and acoustic emo (for lack of a better term- I'm also a huge Elliott Smith fan who probably never heard the term).

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I play guitar, trumpet, drums, and a little keyboard.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

very cool william! i tried to learn trumpet when i was in grade school but quit bc it was too hard at the time. i really wish i stuck with it. i'd rule by now.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am only in 8th grade, so I am sort of a beginner at the trumpet. But I won an award!
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

good for you dude. stick with it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast