Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why does Walter hate Roland? SPOILERS

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: Why does Walter hate Roland? SPOILERS

(Spoilers throughout)

Spoiler:
    In Dark Tower 7, Walter's desire to see Roland dead is equaled only by wanting to go to the Tower. He hates him.

In Gunslinger Born, Walter sees him more as a nuisance than anything else, and while he wants him dead, its more to ensure that his plans and the plans of the King succeed rather than any personal vendetta.

So, do you think something happened that intensified Walter's hatred or do you think it was just a gradual progress? Maybe it has to do with Gabrielle's death as Walter suggested?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I'm guessing because at the point in the saga that the The Gunslinger Born deals with he doesn't view Roland as a real threat to his own plans, he seems to have convinced himself that Roland will be fairly easy to have taken out or to take out himself.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I'm guessing because at the point in the saga that the The Gunslinger Born deals with he doesn't view Roland as a real threat to his own plans, he seems to have convinced himself that Roland will be fairly easy to have taken out or to take out himself.
    Precisely. By the time of DT-7 Walter has seen Roland persevere for long enough that what began as annoyance has blossomed into full-blown hatred. Of course by this time Walter has his own designs on the Tower, but I think he feels if he cannot get to it than killing Roland and keeping him from it makes it acceptable.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a great question, CyberGhostface. Thanks for posting it.

Management stuff:

I added the "radioactive" icon and the word "SPOILERS" into the title, so now people can speak freely without using the spoiler markers in this thread.

By the way, to the extent that this discussion leans toward the comic, we'll leave it in this forum. If it ends up being more of a book discussion, we can move it over to another forum.

Now back to you...
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Yeah, nifty Patrick. Now whats your opinion on the subject?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I suppose my question is if the comics will ever directly address the two's antagonism or just leave it up for the readers to decide.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've almost gotten to the point where I am convinced Walter was trying to help Roland.

"cry the fuck off man...you never do and you never will"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've almost gotten to the point where I am convinced Walter was trying to help Roland.

Hmmm, now THERES an opinion I've not heard before. Interesting. Maybe part of Walter wanted to help him along with hating him?

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post

Hmmm, now THERES an opinion I've not heard before. Interesting. Maybe part of Walter wanted to help him along with hating him?
    Perhaps once Walter came to the conclusion that he wanted the Tower for himself he found it more pragmatic to help Roland than to hinder him. Of course he'd ultimately have to deal with him, but I suspect he had designs on using Mordred to accomplish that.

Country
    Country Flag

If Walter was trying to help Roland, it was probably for his own personal gain.

My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    If Walter was trying to help Roland, it was probably for his own personal gain.
    I think that's pretty much the only reason Walter does anything.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post

Perhaps once Walter came to the conclusion that he wanted the Tower for himself he found it more pragmatic to help Roland than to hinder him. Of course he'd ultimately have to deal with him, but I suspect he had designs on using Mordred to accomplish that.
    Yep, I think you're right on about that.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read the graphic novels but from my views on the books alone.

Walter hates Roland because he knows Roland's fate.

In The Gunslinger Walter has deep knowledge on what awaits Roland and what Roland will find at the top of the tower. He even tells him 'if you choose me of Jake your fate it sealed' or something along those lines. Walter knows that his fate is also sealed (his fate with Mordred, can't fight ka) but his hate or Roland is coupled with his pleasure for knowing Roland will hurt over and over again for all eternity. Of course, he gets to see the build up but isn't around for the conclusion.

If I can make a bit of a LotR comparison, I see Walter as something of a Saruman to Los' Sauron. Walter is a genius at using others to achieve his needs, but like Saruman, he seizes upon opportunities by being able to play both sides of the fence. I agree wholeheartedly with Matt's thought that Walter is, on some level, helping Roland. There are a few times, Oz comes to mind, when it seemed Walter clearly had the upper hand and could have put Roland in a bad way, but he didn't. He needed Roland. If he wanted the Tower for himself, he'd need Roland to deal with Los before he had Mordred deal with Roland. My question is, did he really think he'd be able to stop Mordred at that point?

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing indicated in the later books that Walter knew what awaited Roland at the Tower (which is why I don't get the whole "you resume your quest" bit in the Revised), but there was certainly nothing to indicate that Walter knew about his fate at the hands of Mordred.

My Collection

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    but there was certainly nothing to indicate that Walter knew about his fate at the hands of Mordred.
    nothing clearly stated perhaps, but perhaps implied by the ending. the ending begs the question of whether or not this trip to the tower was the first for Roland or just another loop. if it was not the first, than walter has made the loop as well and perhaps has the means to remember at least some of it. that said, he sure doesn't act like he remembers his doom.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

He may not have kicked over in the other loop(s), that could be another thing that is different about it.

or perhaps, he knows and that's why he is trying so hard to stop Roland (as someone said, that would be his best interest)

But I gotta tell you guys, the more I read that last bit at the end of the revised version, the more I am convinced that Walter was really trying to tell Roland to STOP---and not solely because of the tower.

But I gotta tell you guys, the more I read that last bit at the end of the revised version, the more I am convinced that Walter was really trying to tell Roland to STOP---and not solely because of the tower.
    Ok, now I'm gonna have to read it again after I finish my re-read of S.o.S.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    nothing clearly stated perhaps, but perhaps implied by the ending. the ending begs the question of whether or not this trip to the tower was the first for Roland or just another loop. if it was not the first, than walter has made the loop as well and perhaps has the means to remember at least some of it. that said, he sure doesn't act like he remembers his doom.
    Well, Walter has to be there because Roland resets his loop at the time when he's pursuing him across the desert. I think thats always going to remain the same. Its Roland's choices thereafter that change.

Being that Walter is semi-immortal, having lived in multiple worlds for over hundreds of years, I think he might be slightly aware of being in a 'loop'. But when we saw his thoughts in DT7, nothing indicated that he knew at all or that Mordred was going to kill him. I'm just going to chalk up the whole "resuming your quest" as sloppy writing on King's part, being as 90% of the changes in the Revised clash somewhere later in the series.

My Collection

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...he could know Roland was looping without specific knowledge of the meeting with Mordred imo.

I'm not real high on the revised but it didn't seem to conflict too much with me. I think the reason folks tumbled to the "loop" was because the guy was so animated about it in the first place.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I had begun to think that myself up until he talked about how much he hated him in DT7 but I didn't think he was trying to help Roland for Roland's sake. His ideal scenario would have been to reach the Tower when Roland did. He would then hang back until the battle between the CK and Roland was over, hoping for the favorable circumstance of having only one, hopefully severeley weakened foe, to deal with.

In the Gunslinger he seemed to be frustrated with Roland for never quitting; he is stuck on the same wheel as Roland. He knows that Roland is on the cusp of figuring out what will stop the cycle but Walter knows the near dullard that Roland is partially because Walter is conscious of the fact that he is stuck in the wheel. He knows that there's just a few figurative steps that Roland is so close to piecing together from the bleakness of his imagination and it infuriates Flagg's enormously creative mind that he can't quite grasp something that he himself could so easily snatch out of the air. Perhaps he has to have Roland succeed in getting to the top to find his own top room.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Makes perfect sense. Also makes you wonder what would have happened if Walter had reached the tower.

Or even this, maybe its something different for everyone. So it wouldn't even be the same thing at all.

Along the Path of the Beam Childe 007 is on a distinguished road Childe 007's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

He is Roland's "Mirror Image".

Only when Marten/ Walter/ Flagg looks in the mirror they see what they were born to destroy - and have always failed - it would quite natually develop into hatred. And they have for all eternity chased and tried to duplicate themselves - look at Flagg's obsession with Nadine in the Stand and "The Man In Black"'s attempt with Sylvia Pittson. He was constantly trying to "snag" a Mordred.

He hates Roland because while Roland exists - so must He. And he hates looking in the mirror.

(And Matt - grandbabies are awesome!)

Makes perfect sense. Also makes you wonder what would have happened if Walter had reached the tower.

Or even this, maybe its something different for everyone. So it wouldn't even be the same thing at all.
    I definitely feel it would be different for everyone, and then what becomes of them is a matter of how much their psyche can take what the Tower shows them. Given what Roland saw in his Tower, what do you think would become of Walter in there?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"All is silent in the halls of the dead. All is forgotten in the stone halls of the dead. Behold the stairways which stand in darkness; behold the rooms of ruin. These are the halls of the dead where the spiders spin and the great circuits tall quiet, one by one."

that's, approximately, how I imagine the inside of the Tower as seen by Walter.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast