Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shining - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Okay..I finished The Shining last night. Very very good. I have to say, I think the creepiest parts of that book were when the hotel would 'speak' to people. Like when Danny was trying to figure out what jack was up to, then all of a sudden: "GET OUT OF HIS HEAD!"
    F*cking creepy!
    It was kind of sad at the end though. When Danny stood there and looked jack in the face and said "You're not my daddy anymore" and Jack finally came around for a split second. It's like I really hoped he had come to his senses, but it was too late by then. I almost teared up when Jack sad: "Run Danny. And remember how much I love you."
    That poor kid.
    I said it already, but I'll say it again...considering how many times I have seen that movie in my life, I am totally surprised that I enjoyed the book as much as I did, and that it scared me as much as it did (that's not an easy thing to do)
    Last edited by Girlystevedave; 07-26-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Because I said I was reading "The Stand"

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Okay..I finished The Stand last night. Very very good. I have to say, I think the creepiest parts of that book were when the hotel would 'speak' to people. Like when Danny was trying to figure out what jack was up to, then all of a sudden: "GET OUT OF HIS HEAD!"
    F*cking creepy!
    It was kind of sad at the end though. When Danny stood there and looked jack in the face and said "You're not my daddy anymore" and Jack finally came around for a split second. It's like I really hoped he had come to his senses, but it was too late by then. I almost teared up when Jack sad: "Run Danny. And remember how much I love you."
    That poor kid.
    I said it already, but I'll say it again...considering how many times I have seen that movie in my life, I am totally surprised that I enjoyed the book as much as I did, and that it scared me as much as it did (that's not an easy thing to do)
    If you finished The Stand last night why is your whole post in reference to The Shining?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

haha...Man I'm an idiot.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah, I just started reading it and was wondering why you were talking about a hotel in The Stand.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    when I recently re-read it I was surprized at what a stupid bitch Jack's wife was. No wonder he drank.

jean. dayum.

tell us how you really felt about her man.

John F. Kennedy Elle216 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I first saw the movie and just last week finished reading the book and the book is a million times better (surprise, surprise), the movie shows a very cold Jack and so it is almost expected that he would uh go nuts, the book on the other hand showed a guy trying to do his best, the only problem is that his best is just never good enough.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I agree Elle! The book gives so much more dimension to the character.
    Are you referring to the Kubrick version or the miniseries version? Because I think the miniseries version made Jack's character a little more like the book.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Like you Elle, I saw the movie many times before I read the book. It took me a long time to finally read The Shining but the book was waaaaaay better than the movie, imo. Jack's character in the movie is not nearly as scary as the book. *shiver* the lawn animals were the worst.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Kubrick, I never saw the miniseries, when was it made?

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen the mini series one either but I'm pretty sure it is only a few years old. They showed it on TNT I think...Hold up and I'll check.

...and by a couple of years I mean 11. Here's the wiki link.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Country
    Country Flag

Maerlyn,

The whole talking to dead people was the worse for me *shudders*

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Maybe it's just because I had seen the movie numerous times before I read the book, but I still love the Kubrick film. It's one of my all-time favorite horror films. I also really enjoyed the book, but in a different way. I did like how it added more depth to Jack's character, and we got a lot more history on the hotel.
    I've only seen the miniseries once when it first came out, but I just remember not really caring for it much. Maybe I should go back and watch it again.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

I love both the novel and the movie--in fact (this is just me), but I'm glad I enjoy both, as it means I can compare and contrast the two with each other. I consider The Shining to be a prime example of how a great movie can be made based on a great book without worrying about being faithful to the book.

What I'd really like to see (and I fear I may have to write it myself if I ever got the time and had the patience for it) is a detailed, lengthy review of both the book on its own terms and the movie on its own terms, and then comparing and contrasting the two not only in facts but in terms of relative merits vs. flaws. Such an essay could even bring in other works by both artists for purposes of comparison.

Seriously, the closest I usually find to this is reviews of the movie that simply compare/contrast it with the book, but the book doesn't get equal time. I really think such a review would be worth my while to read.

My Mood
    Angelic

I. Introduction--The Shining vs. The Shining

II. Similarities between King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining

III. Differences between King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining

IV. Origins of King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining

V. Stephen King vs. Stanley Kubrick

VI. Other works by King and Kubrick

VII. Merits and flaws in King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining

(VIII. Stephen King's The Shining compared with both book and film?)

IX.? Conclusion

HELP!!!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Similarities... um... well, there's a hotel in both.

My Mood
    Angelic

Seriously, though, does that deserve its own thread? And if so, where might I post it?

I think right here would be fine!

My Mood
    Angelic

I. Introduction--The Shining vs. The Shining

II. Similarities between King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining--the general plotline that services both the novel and the film, and possible reasons for its use

III. Differences between King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining--not a scene-by-scene account, but a focus on the most important differences and what they imply for each version; particularly focusing on "evil from without" vs. "evil from within"

IV. Origins of King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining--respective reasons for writing the novel and making the film, where the ideas came from, general background for both

V. Stephen King vs. Stanley Kubrick--differences in lives, careers, and general outlooks of the two artists, which are reflected in their respective versions of The Shining

VI. Other works by King and Kubrick--for comparison purposes

VII. Merits and flaws in King's and Kubrick's versions of The Shining--not an attempt to determine which is "better," but a look at which version espouses which merits or flaws, and whether a change was an improvement or not

(VIII. Stephen King's The Shining compared with both book and film?)

IX.? Conclusion

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Are you writing a paper on this?

I think the biggest thing that was lacking from Kubrick's film was Jack's gradual descent into madness. In the film he appears to be somewhat crazy from the get go. Also you don't get as much of a sense of how evil the hotel really is, and what it's really after. It want's Danny because of his ability, however in order to get that it goes thru Jack because he is an easier target. To me this wasn't really clear in the film. Also we don't hear as much about the history of the hotel so we're not aware of all that it's capable of.

On the other hand the film definately knows how to scare you, and I think that is what it primarily focuses on. It wants to terrify the viewer. There's loads of tension in the film, plus added scenes (such as blood pouring from the elevator), which were put there specifically for that reason. Another example would be with the use of the steadicam for filming, in particular the final scenes, or the scenes with Danny riding down the halls, it definately brings the viewer in and puts them right in amongst the action.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

My Mood
    Angelic

I think the answer to your question would be "yes and no"....

I WANT to write an essay about it, but I don't really have the time (and won't until sometime after Thanksgiving)....

But the ideas just won't leave me alone....

As for what you say, that is the kind of thing I'd put into my essay if I were to write it--only I would try to refrain from editorials until I got to the part about debating relative merits vs. flaws, and I would try not to be biased towards either the novel or the film in that regard, as I enjoy both. More like asking the question of "why" certain choices were made, rather than giving my opinion on them.

Thing is, I would like to READ such an essay, but I haven't found what I'm looking for anywhere online, which is part of the reason I want to write it myself....

Well I would love to read it if you do write it. I thoroughly enjoyed both the book and film but for different reasons.

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well I would love to read it if you do write it. I thoroughly enjoyed both the book and film but for different reasons.
    Me too. And if and when I do write it, I'll be happy to post it on these forums.

My Mood
    Angelic

The Shining essay update:

Not yet complete, but nearing the end of my first draft!

If I don't finish and post it tonight, I should definitely be able to do so by tomorrow!

Be warned, this is LONG (already almost 20 pages, and not done yet!), and it isn't a "proper essay" with notes and references and all--but I don't try to claim other people's statements as my own, and if it needs help, perhaps my readers will offer some advice?

At any rate, I'm VERY proud of it, and of the insights I've come to, even while writing it--these are conclusions that haven't even occurred to me before, and I can't wait to share them!

we are looking forward to your conclusions

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    we are looking forward to your conclusions
    Me too!

Haven't gotten back to it yet, but I will shortly, and then once I've got it the way I want it, I'll post it for all to see!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast