Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: The Shining - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I reread The Shining again in February. My current reading copy of this book is an early book club edition that has the same page layout as the first edition, my previous readings were all from paperbacks. This time around I noticed the chapter titled Inside 217, where Danny encounters the woman in the tub, ends on page 217. I don't know if this is a coincidence, I think it would have to be. has anyone else ever picked up on this?

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Hmmm... Never noticed! That's kind of cool, tho!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I reread The Shining again in February. My current reading copy of this book is an early book club edition that has the same page layout as the first edition, my previous readings were all from paperbacks. This time around I noticed the chapter titled Inside 217, where Danny encounters the woman in the tub, ends on page 217. I don't know if this is a coincidence, I think it would have to be. has anyone else ever picked up on this?
    Yeah also the signet paperbacks I own the page where he sees the woman in the tub is on 217 there as well.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Mine too is a signet, and yes, it happens on page 217 (couldn't help re-checking)!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Question: How much did you like Jack Torrance?

I lent the book to a friend (who walked it into blind and had no idea about Jack Nicholson's take on the character) and she didn't like Jack very much even before he went crazy at the end.
    I don't think I liked him that much either. As John touched on, I think he was completely self-absorbed. If anything I pitied him. Alcoholism is a disease after all (though it can be arrested), and runs rampant-- to varying degrees-- in both sides of my family.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

What is the name of the play that Jack is writing?
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    What is the name of the play that Jack is writing?
    "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

'The Little School', if I recall correctly.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Just finished re-reading The Shining. In my minds eye here is Jack and Wendy (I never saw the TV version).
    Interesting trivia Jack mentions his favorite story called "The Monkey Is Here, Paul DeLong" had been sold to a "small southern Maine magazine called Contraband..."

reality continues to ruin my life

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    'The Little School', if I recall correctly.
    Thanks!!
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I lent the book to a friend (who walked it into blind and had no idea about Jack Nicholson's take on the character) and she didn't like Jack very much even before he went crazy at the end.
    As I was writing in the Doctor Sleep thread, I really liked the Jack Torrence character. I thought that The Shining was mostly about Jack. I really empathized with Jack and was pulling for him to not fall prey to the Hotel, and even after he did I kinda rooted for him. I didn't like Wendy much so rooting for him vs Wendy came easy.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

same here

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I agree as well. The book makes you do that!
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post

As I was writing in the Doctor Sleep thread, I really liked the Jack Torrence character. I thought that The Shining was mostly about Jack. I really empathized with Jack and was pulling for him to not fall prey to the Hotel, and even after he did I kinda rooted for him. I didn't like Wendy much so rooting for him vs Wendy came easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    same here
    Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I agree as well. The book makes you do that!
    I can certainly see where you guys are coming from and of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but while I too, rooted for Jack vs The Hotel, I just could not bring myself to root against, Wendy at all. A mother protecting her child? Uh -huh. I do agree with you folks that the story was more about "Jack vs The Hotel" and unfortunately in the end the Hotel and Jack's demons got the best of him until the very last moment. That was extremely tragic and really made the book resonate to me.

I suppose the only point at which I "rooted" against, Wendy was when the hotel was dividing them in the beginning (i.e. the wasps, etc). However, once the proverbial "shit hit the fan" it was a different story. Which, IMHO is kinda one of the great elelments of the overall story. Just how invested, King made you feel. I like to think that, Jack redeemed himself in the end to a large degree, which is why...

Dr. Sleep Spoiler

Spoiler:
    When reading "Dr. Sleep" I was somewhat off put with, older Danny's feelings regarding his father. That however proved to be premature and in the end, got a tear in my eye for Ol' Jackie-boy!!

Just my two cents.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I can explain why I abhorred Wendy. To me, she seemed one of those females for whom a man is only a means to have a child. She was exactly a type of wife that is a doom of a troubled man. Her main attitude, throughout the book, was "he is bad, he is against us, and we, the two of us, are defending against him as we can."

And one more thing... while I agree with the AA (now I am using the Doctor Sleep material) that for an alcoholic himself it must be beneficial to think that nobody is to blame for his drinking except himself, it is only what the alcoholic himself must think, and how s/he must feel - not everyone else around him. Otherwise, it's all only relieving ourselves of all responsibility and refusing him any support: very modern thinking, in terms of "nobody is responsible for anybody", but something I personally will never buy. It's only if the two sides fully accept the responsibility (a drunk, a suicide, a depressee, a neurotic, whatever) that something can really be achieved.

Doctor Sleep

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I respect your opinion, but I feel you are being a trifle unfair in characterizing, Wendy. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I am a huge fan, but for the most part I saw her as a "Mother", first and foremost. Given that, all her actions were consistent with that mentality. Her base instinct was to protect, Danny. Nothing else mattered. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

yes, but that's exactly what I am complaining of... something else should have mattered; like, for example, her husband? I mean, not only for his sake, but for her own as a human being, and her son's as well.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

yes, but that's exactly what I am complaining of... something else should have mattered; like, for example, her husband? I mean, not only for his sake, but for her own as a human being, and her son's as well.
    Well, yeah I suppose, but then you have to factor in the relentless doubt and suspicion surrounding the drinking and the past abusive instance and I think she earns a pass, no? Look, nobody rooted for, Jack more than myself, but I could surely understand, Wendy's POV even though she was somewhat of a bitch.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

why, of course. I was just explaining why I loved Jack and felt sorry for him (and insane hope that everything will somehow work out every time I re-read the book), and strongly dislike Wendy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

No need to explain, brother bear!! It's a discussion not a debate. No one wins!! LOL FWIW I hate Wendy as well, I just don't have a valid excuse!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I can explain why I abhorred Wendy. To me, she seemed one of those females for whom a man is only a means to have a child. She was exactly a type of wife that is a doom of a troubled man. Her main attitude, throughout the book, was "he is bad, he is against us, and we, the two of us, are defending against him as we can."

And one more thing... while I agree with the AA (now I am using the Doctor Sleep material) that for an alcoholic himself it must be beneficial to think that nobody is to blame for his drinking except himself, it is only what the alcoholic himself must think, and how s/he must feel - not everyone else around him. Otherwise, it's all only relieving ourselves of all responsibility and refusing him any support: very modern thinking, in terms of "nobody is responsible for anybody", but something I personally will never buy. It's only if the two sides fully accept the responsibility (a drunk, a suicide, a depressee, a neurotic, whatever) that something can really be achieved.

Doctor Sleep
    To add to this, this was exactly the way Wendy's mother was and how she treated her husband. The book talks about how her mother nagged her father and drove him away, and that's exactly what Wendy did to Jack. She blamed him for everything, and nagged him, was suspect of him, and didn't trust him. That added to the problems Jack had.

I did not like Wendy because she was whiney and indecisive and enabled Jack to make these dumb decisions and do dumb things that put them all in trouble. She knows they shouldn't be there but goes along because she's not strong enough to stand up for her and her family.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's the link to The Losers Club podcast discussion of the book:

https://consequenceofsound.net/podca...3-the-shining/

Traveler Andaluska is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

It was a while back since the last person commented on this thread, but Im going to give it a go!

I have to say that I didnt like the book nor the movie with Jack Nicholson. I dont think I have watched the other version.

The book started good, but it got more and more boring for me. Since I am a person that doesnt like to leave a book without finishin it, as bad is it is, I kept reading... but I decided that I would skip a page here and there... and I realised I didnt miss anything about the story! But hey, I finished it hehe

The bad thing about the movie is that I watched it with Spanish dubbing (is that how you say it? I looked that word up in the dictionary, but I hadnt seen this word before in my life) and it was reeeally bad, like very funny voices, so that didnt do any good to the movie. Maybe I'll watch the original version now that I can understand it hehe

Read you soon!

Traveler nessuno2001 will become famous soon enough nessuno2001 will become famous soon enough

Default King vs. Kubrick: The origins of evil

Dear all,
    I have written an article about King's enduring dissatisfaction with Stanley Kubrick's version of The Shining. I have quoted from dozens of King's interviews and many of his writings (one retrieved thanks to a few members of this great community), to compose what I think is hopefully a definitive account of King's thoughs and feelings on Kubrick's take on his beloved story. You can read it here:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2020/the-s...igins-of-evil/

The article is part of a special issue about "The Shining at 40" with lots of other new analyses of the film and its place in the cinema.

Hope you like it and would love to hear a feedback, given that I am far less of an expert on King than I am on Kubrick. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7