Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommended Graphic Novels

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Recommended Graphic Novels

I'm sitting here writing a Christmas List for my family and need a bit of help.

Recently, i've been very interested in graphic novels. I love the format of having many comics combined so I don't have to hunt down each individual issue. Anyways, I need some suggestions on new stories to try out.

So far I've read:

The Sandman
    The Watchmen
    V for Vendetta
    The Walking Dead (I've got the first 2 books and have collected the individual issues since the last book release)
    Bone
    The Preacher

What are some suggestions you awesome comic geeks have for me?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Kingdom Come
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I just looked that up on Amazon.com. It sounds super awesome. Thanks Rjeso!

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

Thank Jimmy, he was the one who had me read it, heh. It's beautifully done, the artwork is amazing. Hope you like it!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

FABLES!
    Y : The Last Man
    Anything Sin City

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Top 10
    Preacher
    The Golden Age
    Starman
    JLA/JSA : Virtue & Vice
    Earth X
    Universe X
    Paradise X

My Mood
    Dead

(Top 10 is the name of one, not the title of the list, 'specially as he only has seven listed.)

Good call Sunshine.

"Top 10" by Alan Moore & Gene Ha

Awoken Enigma Sai_Rhavan is on a distinguished road Sai_Rhavan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Darkness. An amazing series, very dark, slightly disturbing(especially in the video game). My favorite series of all time, hands down.

Country
    Country Flag

The Darkness. An amazing series, very dark, slightly disturbing(especially in the video game). My favorite series of all time, hands down.
    Also, Civil War

Country
    Country Flag

Crap, posted twice. Cry pardon.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Erin.

I just recently got into graphic novels. I second what Feev said. When I went to the comic book store and told the guy I was new to comics, he first showed me Fables. I've only read the first one, but it was really interesting and fun to read.

Then he told me about Y:The Last Man, which was totally up my alley. I love post apocalyptic type stuff. In short, Yorrick Brown is the last man alive after a plague kills every male on earth except for Yorrick and his monkey. Sounds like heaven for a guy right? Not so much.

I also really like The Losers. That novel just oozes with coolness.

I'm really into Loveless too. It's a Western that is helping quench my thirst until the DT comics start up again.

Hope that helps.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Being that my pushing Sandman on you is probably the beginnings of your new comic love, I'll chime in.

I have to greatly second fp's Fables recommendation. It is really good and I need to catch back up on it myself.

Transmetropolitan is really amazing and you would love it. The main character is a sort of futuristic homage to Hunter S. Thompson.

Neil Gaiman's run on Eternals. It is the first of the new Eternals TPBs.

Planetary

The Authority

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Crimson

The Ultimates( I think you would esepecially like Volume 2 and how it deals with what our government would do with a superhero team).

From Hell by Alan Moore(Jack the Ripper story, there's a movie based on it)

Maus a.k.a. Maus: A Survivor's Tale — My Father Bleeds History by Art Spiegelman (this one actually won a Pulitzer).

Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore and Brian Bolland

Signal to Noise by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean

Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction by Mike Mignola

Hellboy: The Wolves of St. August by Mike Mignola
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet. Thanks everyone!

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Some I forgot:

The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman(I can't believe I forgot about this one. Add it to the top of your list)

Violent Cases by Neil Gaiman

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore

Ghostworld by Daniel Clowes
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maus for sure, Watchmen is a classic, and Black Hole is an amazing one. And I don't generally like graphic novels.

I guess Tezuka's Phoenix and Buddha cycles can count--those are also well worth checking out.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman
    The story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training that predates that other story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training.

Gaiman didn't sue her ass off because he's a nice guy.

I also just showed Rjeso some books because she'd never really read comics. She's read Kingdom Come and Gaiman's Eternals so those are great starting boards.

Fables is genius and anyone who loves good stories could enjoy it.

Also, if the GN bears the names "Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman or Mike Mignola" read it without question.

Gunslinger Apprentice Mister E is on a distinguished road Mister E's Avatar

I just picked up Ultimates 2: Grand Theft America- flippin' SWEET. Hawkeye's finest.

HULK SMASH SMARTS!
    Mister E: Came back.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Picked up a couple of issues yesterday:

-The Walking Dead Vol. 7
    -The Amazing Spider-Man : One More Day- issues 1-3 out of 4
    -Marvel Zombies 2: Issues 1 and 2.
    -Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns

My Mood
    Dead

Oh, yeah, Eternals was awesome!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Duh! It's Neil Gaiman!

My Mood
    Dead

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman
    The story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training that predates that other story of a young British boy with glasses who finds out he's a powerful wizard and begins training.

Gaiman didn't sue her ass off because he's a nice guy.

I also just showed Rjeso some books because she'd never really read comics. She's read Kingdom Come and Gaiman's Eternals so those are great starting boards.

Fables is genius and anyone who loves good stories could enjoy it.

Also, if the GN bears the names "Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman or Mike Mignola" read it without question.

Haha.

Speaking of what kids are reading: You created Timothy Hunter and The Books Of Magic. How do you feel about J. K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, which is incredibly similar yet wonderfully different?

People have been trying to get me... there was a very peculiar time about eighteen months ago, I did an interview with The Scotsman. The Scotsman newspaper tracked me down, and we had a very awkward interview, during which they were trying to get me to say, "Oh, yeah, J. K. Rowling has ripped off Harry Potter," and the most they could get out of me was, "Well, it makes things a little awkward for a Books Of Magic movie."

I was astonished that about six months later, to be sent a copy of... English newspapers started, for a period of about three days--as they all ripped each other off--did an article about this madwoman who's been accusing J. K. Rowling of stealing Muggles and things like that, and then finished off with "...and Neil Gaiman has accused her of ripping off Harry Potter of Tim Hunter."

At that point, I wrote a little thing, sent it out to a few places, that just basically said, "This is absolute bollocks." And it is absolute bollocks! I mean, the thing about genre fiction--it's like a great big bubbling stewpot: ingredients go in, and stew comes out. And as you go, you add stuff to the stew. If you're a good writer, you keep popping stuff into the stew while you're going.

I was certainly not the first writer to create a bespectacled kid who had the potential to be the world's greatest magician. To create a kid with magical power--and more important, magical potential--and to use owls and so on, it's all stuff that's fairly obvious going on what went before. J. K. Rowling was not the first person to send a kid to wizard school. From Jaime Olan and Diane Duane in recent years--Diana Wynne Jones is marvelous! (Witch Week and Charmed Life.)--going back to T. H. White and E. Nesbitt.

When I was eighteen, I started trying to write my first book, and I got nine pages into it, and they're still mucking around. And because I didn't really have any experience of anything other than school, I was writing a story about a kid who was sent to wizard school, and Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemar (who wound up in Neverwhere) were going to be the baddies. I was cleaning up and doing some tidying in the basement, and I came across these pages, and I thought, "Now if anybody ever found these, they'd be going, 'Cool! Look at this Harry Potter rip-off!'" Which is fine, except it was a Harry Potter rip-off I was writing in 1978. And, of course, as an eighteen year old, I never finished it, and didn't actually think that I really wanted to write a school story, so I left it behind. When I went back to try another school story, it was a few years later, and it was a much, much more sick and peculiar and twisted thing called The End Of The Third Form At St. Andrew's Eve, which was much more about how I hated school than trying to romanticize it. That was in a periodical that never appeared, and its still probably knocking around in a file somewhere, and I've never gone back to it.

Which is a very long and blabbery way of saying that ideas are public domain.

What I do wish, with the Harry Potter stuff, is that we could get DC Comics to re-issue Books Of Magic with a much more Harry Potter-like cover to appeal to the kind of people who like Harry Potter. Every other comic company in the world's going, "Oh, wouldn't it be cool to have our own Harry Potter?" And with DC, I've been, "Well, actually, you've had your own Harry Potter now since 1990! Why don't you do something with that? Why don't you get him into bookstores?"
    from http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...55f055aadc0052

Say what you will, he'd still have a hell of a case.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

There are some "early stories of Conan" out there in Graphic novel format that are amazing.

If the person is into plenty of blood and brawn
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast