Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hunger Games - warning, there may be spoilers

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: The Hunger Games - warning, there may be spoilers

No Hunger Games discussion yet? I know I'm not the only adult who has read the trilogy. What did y'all think about it? As a whole, I thought it was great, although the last two books were not up to par compared to the first one.

Did you feel that...

Spoiler:
    Prim had to die? If she hadn't, would Katniss have done what she had to do?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man, I wish there had been a thread when I was reading the series (last month). That would've been great. But I really, really enjoyed all three books. I wanted to see what all the hype was about, especially since the movie was coming out, and ending up loving them. I was really impressed.

Regarding your Spoiler, I don't think that
    Spoiler:
    Prim had to die for the Capitol to be overthrown (by the rebels, Captiol citizens, etc.) but I do think that she had to die to give Katniss the last push of motivation to realize who her true enemies were and defeat them (Coin).

Do you think we should put a Spoiler tag in the thread title?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I've only read the first of the series and have put off the second until my mother gets the time to read along with me. It's always more fun to read and discuss together. I'll have to check back when I finish the series!

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post

Do you think we should put a Spoiler tag in the thread title?
    We probably should...but I don't know how to do that :-(

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read the first two, will get to book three eventually.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    One of the Mods should be able to change it. Feev?

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    How could you not be itching for Mockingjay after that cliffhanger!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I am doing the same. Mostly, because I'm too cheap to buy the 3rd one. For the first 2, I managed to borrow/download a .pdf and I can't really be bothered to only buy the last book. Plus, the people from whom I borrowed the other ones all moved from real books to e-readers during the series, so borrowing is not an option atm.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One thing I love about this series is how
    Spoiler:
    completely fucked up everyone is at the end. I mean, I adore Harry Potter, but all those kids go through multiple traumas and come out perfectly well-adjusted with flocks of children at the end. Really? If that happens for you, great, but it's pretty unlikely after a certain amount of damage.
    I was kind of disappointed in
    Spoiler:
    Gale's transformation from an excellent man/boyfriend who is unhappy with his dystopian life (understandable!) into some kind of raging warrior. Mostly because I really liked Gale (at first) and thought Peeta was a ridiculous construct of male perfection who couldn't possibly exist. I feel like she just wrote more anger into Gale to make Peeta the obvious choice for Katniss. Also I hate love triangles. They're so fanfiction-y I can't stand it.

Also, best character: Finnick Odair. Don't even try to argue with me on this, I'll fuck you up.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

Country
    Country Flag

Jen, have you looked at the Barnes and Noble website any? I know the books have a retail price of $17.99 or something like that, but got mine on BN.com for $10.19 with free shipping. That might be an option, especially if you have an extra 15 or 20% coupon to use.

Spoiler:
    And I really like how everyone is messed up/has major emotional/physical problems at the end, too. It definitely makes them more believable.

But about Gale, it kind of felt off to me that he went to his "fancy job" and...what? Never sees Katniss again? Just like that? I know she was a little uncertain about his weapons' involvement in Prim's death, but still.

And Finnick is not even close to being the best character. Effie 2012!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

*comes in, looks at Feev and Ricky, leaves*
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    One of the Mods should be able to change it. Feev?
    Hmm, I tried adding it but it's refusing comply ... I'll inquire in the mod threads.

How could you not be itching for Mockingjay after that cliffhanger!
    In all honesty, I'm not in any rush to pick up book three. The second book just felt like a rehash of the first book.

Spoiler:
    Also, 80 year olds being thrown into the Hunger Games? Seriously? Gtfo.

Katniss didn't evolve at all from the first book, if anything she seems more petulant than ever. And why is she always doubting herself ? Didn't she gain any confidence at all after surviving the first HG? Did she gain no deeper knowledge of herself and her abilities? And don't get me started on that ridiculous dead weight love triangle that's shoehorned in there simply to please the much coveted female teenager demographic.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I read the first one and that was enough to convince me to stay away from the other books. I guessed 90% of things that would happen in books 2 and 3 without even reading them.

I hated that they didn't really have to kill anyone they liked in the book. That felt like such a cop out.

To close it on a more positive note, the book was alright but didn't live up to its hype.

Country
    Country Flag

In all honesty, I'm not in any rush to pick up book three. The second book just felt like a rehash of the first book.
    I can agree with that to a point. But Mockingjay definitely goes in a different direction that I think you'd really enjoy.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I fixed the title, everyone!

And I agree with Ka-mai... definitely Finnick was my fave character. I liked the books in the order I read them... 1 was my fave, then 2 and then 3. I quite disliked the ending of 3, but I am usually disappointed by endings of stories anyhow.
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, O!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I aim to please

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading them now.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    I fixed the title, everyone!

And I agree with Ka-mai... definitely Finnick was my fave character. I liked the books in the order I read them... 1 was my fave, then 2 and then 3. I quite disliked the ending of 3, but I am usually disappointed by endings of stories anyhow.
    I didn't dislike the ending, but I thought it was very rushed. I guess I thought I knew what was going to happen...and then the climax hit and I was like...WTF? But then as I finished it I was OK with it.

And on the whole, Finnick definitely rates up there as one of the best in the trilogy. But I really enjoyed Haymitch. Juts something about how it always seemed to know what to do or say in each situation.

Country
    Country Flag

What I found interesting about Haymitch was that for someone who's life and reputation as a drunk was so messed up, ironically he seemed to be the one to have it together the most.

I was pretty okay with the ending but thought that there were a few plotlines that felt a little rushed. Overall, I was happy with how everything ended...especially Coin's death.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I found interesting about Haymitch was that for someone who's life and reputation as a drunk was so messed up, ironically he seemed to be the one to have it together the most.

I was pretty okay with the ending but thought that there were a few plotlines that felt a little rushed. Overall, I was happy with how everything ended...especially Coin's death.
    This! Haymitch is an excellent character. And him being Woody Harrelson in the movie just made him more awesome. However, I still have to stand with Finnick, because he's hilarious, and because of the secrets he collected. (Holy shit, I wish she had written more detail into that! "Oh yeah, he has super juicy secrets... but we're going to totally gloss over them." Fuck you and your lazy writing.)

Country
    Country Flag

Ah! I had almost forgotten about what Snow "did" to him and all the secrets he held. That definitely enhances him character arc, I think. Another prime example of someone who projects an attitude/appearance which is totally opposite of what's inside of them. Finnick, Haymitch, etc.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

But I kind of think Finnick at least enjoyed his posturing (not his forced prostitution.). I think it allowed him to escape his dark life and just be silly for a while. I mean, if I was pretty much known as the sexiest creature in Panem, I'd probably strut a little.

regarding Finnick

Spoiler:
    I wish Finnick's death would have been a little more spectacular... she just kind of killed him off

Country
    Country Flag

I agree. At that point in the tunnels, I was like, is he dead? Did he just die? I had to read that part again because it seemed so matter-of-fact.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I felt for such a dynamic character he deserved more than
    Spoiler:
    "he abandoned his wife and unborn child to be eaten by lizards."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast