Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rereading Stephen King: A project by The Guardian

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Rereading Stephen King: A project by The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...en-king-carrie
    Rereading Stephen King: week one – Carrie

James Smythe has read everything Stephen King has ever written – and now he's revisiting each novel in chronological order. First: a young girl with some dangerous powers

Carrie is Stephen King's first novel. A large part of its fame comes from the fact that it was actually the fourth novel he wrote and submitted to publishers – a story that people love to tell when discussing the roads to publication of big-name authors. "Did you know King wrote three books before he was accepted?" goes the common confidence-boosting phrase. And, nearly as famously, he actually threw his only draft of it away at one point, until his wife convinced him to rescue it from the rubbish. The rest is, as they nearly say, a 70ish-strong publication history. (The first three books King wrote, incidentally, were Rage, The Long Walk and Blaze, all of which found publication in later years, and all of which will be covered soon enough.)

Carrie ended up being quite a zeitgeisty novel: published in the same rough timeframe as Rosemary's Baby and The Exorcist, and when cinemas were showing Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man. The public were beginning to fall in love with the weirder, more human side of the paranormal – moving away from ghosts and hauntings, which used to preoccupy horror fiction.

The book itself is the story of Carrie White, a high-school student with latent – and then, as the novel progresses, developing – telekinetic powers. It's brutal in places, affecting in others (Carrie's relationship with her almost hysterically religious mother being a particularly damaged one), and gory in even more. By the end of the novel, there's a pretty impressive body count, and it's a body count you don't necessarily see coming given the general tone of the novel. Or, bluntly, given the character of Carrie herself.

Structurally it's a really weird one, with a standard Kingian third-person narrative voice interspersed with extracts from other media: newspaper reports, autobiographies of characters, transcripts of police interviews, that sort of thing. It's not a structure that entirely works, as the extracts are still slightly too close to King's standard narrative voice, and are often the worst (read: slowest) parts of the novel. While still reeling from the excitement of some of the third-person sections – particularly the classic prom scene – being dragged somewhere else entirely and presented with an often less-interesting viewpoint isn't always ideal. (In particular, there's a series of extracts from Susan Snell's fake biography; none are very interesting. Apart from anything else, they don't read like biography: they read like monologues.)

But, it's a really good story. Carrie herself is a fascinating character: an archetype (the damaged girl with powers beyond her sphere) to which King would return later in his career, and the book drags the reader along at a fair-old whack. King himself has described the novel as being "a cookie baked by a first grader – tasty enough, but kind of lumpy and burned on the bottom". And that's a pretty fair assessment, I'd say. As a debut novel, it's a fairly good piece of juvenilia. As a statement of intent – that intent being to write stories that deal with the weird, twisted and human in equal measure – it's exceptional.

Kingisms

In every review, I'm going to look at the tropes and common stylistic touches that appear in King's novels. Carrie's obviously interesting as it was the first, and it throws up a few ideas he would repeat throughout his career. The big one in Carrie is the internal monologue. King has a habit

(habit? habits are formed, this is something innate)

of indenting brackets or dropping the italicised thoughts of his characters into his third-person narratives. (See what I did there?) It's an easy way to bypass "She thought", and actually pretty elegant. In Carrie, it's a stylistic device that's still new to him, and whereas he now uses it sparingly, here, it's everywhere. By the end of the novel, some pages are almost more internal monologue than not.

Carrie is also a relative tone-setter of a novel: the narrative is distinctly King's, covering themes he would revisit again, and to greater effect; and some of the dialogue – particularly in Carrie's conversations with her mother – is delivered in voices he would also return to in later novels (Misery, the Dark Tower series, Dolores Claiborne).

Flagg-raising

One last thing. King has a character who has officially appeared in nine novels: Randall Flagg (aka Walter O'Dim, the Dark Man, the Man in Black, the Walkin' Dude). He's not a nice chap, and I'll take a much closer look at him in later novels – starting, if memory serves, with 1978's The Stand. But there are plenty of arguments to be made for his appearance in other King texts, and Carrie is no different.

Carrie's mother, in her religious fervour, frequently refers to – either directly, or through Carrie's prior indoctrination – "the black man … his cloven feet striking red sparks from the cement". Now, while it's meant to be the devil in this instance – or, rather, a more direct suggestion of the devil than Randall Flagg's usual appearances – that particular being is never mentioned by name. And "the black man" is awfully close to the Man in Black and the Dark Man, I'd say …

Next up

1975's Salem's Lot, a story of vampires, small towns and another of King's common themes – writers.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Outstanding. I love this idea, and I am enjoying the analysis.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...en-king-carrie
    Rereading Stephen King: week one – Carrie

James Smythe has read everything Stephen King has ever written – and now he's revisiting each novel in chronological order. First: a young girl with some dangerous powers

Carrie is Stephen King's first novel. A large part of its fame comes from the fact that it was actually the fourth novel he wrote and submitted to publishers – a story that people love to tell when discussing the roads to publication of big-name authors. "Did you know King wrote three books before he was accepted?" goes the common confidence-boosting phrase. And, nearly as famously, he actually threw his only draft of it away at one point, until his wife convinced him to rescue it from the rubbish. The rest is, as they nearly say, a 70ish-strong publication history. (The first three books King wrote, incidentally, were Rage, The Long Walk and Blaze, all of which found publication in later years, and all of which will be covered soon enough.)
    Not to nitpick (but, of course I will) King's first three rejected novels (actually four) prior to Carrie were The Long Walk, Sword In The Darkness, Getting It On, and The Running Man. Blaze came after Carrie was submitted.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I like this idea also. How fast is he going to read each novel, does anyone know?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, this is entitled Week One, so I guess on a weekly basis.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"James Smythe has read everything Stephen King has ever written"

No he didnt. Nobody did... but Stephen King himself. Even Tabitha didnt..
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure they mean everything he's published.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, but that's not what they written... and by everything he's published, i would guess that they mean all the NOVELS. Not short stories nor non fiction.

;-)
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, maybe the guy's been stalking King since he was a kid literally reading everything.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...ing-salems-lot
    Rereading Stephen King: week two – Salem's Lot

Second novels are tough. The expectations of what you'll deliver – especially off a success – are phenomenal. Readers of the debut want to be satisfied by the follow-up; readers who heard about the first but didn't bite want to be wowed by the concept enough to pick it up; and those who hated the debut want you to fail. So, when Stephen King went from the quasi-plausible abuse-terror of Carrie to vampires, there must have been some worried readers (and, probably, publishers). Good job that Salem's Lot was – and still is – a hugely impressive novel, then.

The most impressive thing about the book is how long it takes for anything really to happen. After a short prologue, where it's established that a tall man and a young boy survive whatever it is we're about to read (and end up in the far sunnier climes of Mexico), we meet the town itself. Jerusalem's Lot is the main character here, a warm-up for what King would later do with his beloved fictional towns of Derry and Castle Rock. We're given a vivid description, details and foibles, before the town is populated with a cast of characters to rival any soap opera. All human life is here, as the saying goes: and they all want to know who the stranger is that's just moved to town.

He's Ben Mears, and he's a writer. He grew up in the titular town, and he has some bad memories of it. In particular, of the Marsten house, which seems to loom over everything, the perennial gothic house on the hill, where bad things happen and bad men have lived. Ben has written a few novels (with excellent fake-real names, like Air Dance), but they weren't exactly to small-town tastes: "Miss Coogan at the drugstore says that [Billy Said Keep Going] is pretty racy," Susan tells Ben early in the book; while another character remembers being perturbed when reading a homosexual rape scene in Conway's Daughter. Regardless, Ben has come to Salem's Lot to write his next book. We never learn exactly what it's about, despite numerous characters pestering him for information: but he does, at a later point in the novel, give away that it concerns "the recurrent power of evil", and the spooky events he once witnessed at the Marsten house.

So Ben does all the things you would do as a writer, stomping around your old turf and trying to put off the act of writing itself: he meets a girl who is in thrall of his talents, Susan; he visits a school, befriending a nice older teacher, Matt; he visits a doctor, Jimmy; he encounters a priest with a drinking problem, Father Callahan; he crosses paths with Mark Petrie, a kid with a penchant for classic Universal monster movies; and he remembers the time he went to the Marsten house when he himself was a child, and saw something inexplicable and pretty horrifying involving the ghost of the previous owner. King spends half the novel establishing the town, Ben, and his would-be gang of vampire hunters. The vampires themselves? For much of the first half, they're only hinted at.

The biggest hint comes in the form of a certain Mr Straker, along with his absentee business partner Mr Barlow. They decide to open an antique shop in a town that doesn't need one, and they buy the Marsten house to live in while they're there. Alarm bells ring all over, but nobody really cares because there are too many other things going on. Women nearly beat their babies to death because of the stress of motherhood; men drink too much and rape their wives; and gossip is everywhere, like rats behind the walls. Nobody stops to notice that, between Straker and Barlow, you've got – nearly, if you flip the W upside down – an anagram of Bram Stoker. When a young boy then dies in mysterious circumstances, the only person who really pays attention outside his family is the inept local lawman. As a reader, you want them all to care more than they do, because you can see what's coming: the inevitability of death.

It's almost exactly halfway through the novel that the blood hits the fan. More people die. Infant babies come back to life, and need to feed on more than milk. Being outside at night is no longer safe. After a deliberately hazy and meandering first half – one that lulls both reader and characters into a false sense of security – the second part of the novel barely breathes. It takes place over roughly two days and two nights, as Ben and his new friends – or what's left of them – try to end the rapidly spreading vampire menace and take Salem's Lot back.For better or worse, the book ends pretty much where it began: with the tall man and the boy in Mexico, trying to work out their next move.

When I was younger, it was this second half that enraptured me: the rush of the hunt (on both sides); the thrill of not knowing who would and wouldn't survive; and the pain of how much this affected the characters. Where Carrie paints emotion in one very broad (red) stroke, there is far more subtlety here. Characters you don't like still engender pity. Back then it amazed me, once I got past the – as I erroneously thought – dragged-out beginning.

Now, it's the start that I love most. It's the slowest of slow burns, all hints and drip-feed. King infuses it with descriptions that start you thinking about vampires before they even factor in the novel. "She dipped her head to suck at the straw," goess one passage, describing the drinking of a root beer. "Her neck was beautifully muscled." Another, during a kiss, reads: "She thought: he's tasting me." When the chaos finally unfolds, it's a real payoff. You care. I can't reasonably claim this is the greatest vampire novel ever written, but it certainly provides the most outright entertainment. It takes an archetype, puts it in a situation you wouldn't expect, and watches the damage unfurl.

Of course, the novel itself can be read as metaphor: the small-town American way of life, being bled dry by outside influences, left as a hollow shell of its former being. But I actually prefer to see it as what it is: a story about the evil that's always there, lurking in the darkness, waiting for a moment to return.

Kingisms

It's easy to see all these early novels as dry runs for ideas King would later develop. Salem's Lot as proxy for EveryTown USA (twinned with Hidden Darkness); Mark as the overly bright kid we all wish we'd been at his age; and, biggest of all, Ben Mears as the hampered writer, ruined by life, trying to write but faced with a reality that's more dangerous than anything in his mind. We get descriptions of Mears's books; we see how the writing is jammed inside Mears, unable to come out; and we see more of an obsession with the bleeding between life and art that King would return to again and again.

King likes writing writers. It's easy to dismiss this as him writing what he knows, but I think it's something else. I think he knows that a writer – or, at least, his type of writer – can imagine the things King's small-town sheriffs and doctors can't (or won't). They can take leaps of logic, bounding alongside the narrative. They can be ciphers for King himself in the novel. They don't need to explain why they know something: they just know it. This was simply the first example of his life-long obsession with writers, why they write, and how the action of writing serves the story being told; an obsession that would, I think, culminate in the best book about writing ever written, On Writing.

Connections

There are connections between a lot of King's books, usually using the Dark Tower series as their central hub. While Salem's Lot is definitely its own novel, it wouldn't be the last time King would write about the tainted priest Father Callahan, or these particular vampires: they would both crop up in Wolves of the Calla. There, the vampire mythos would be expanded upon, with Barlow given an origin; and (the now) Pere Callahan would tag along with the main group of characters (known in the Dark Tower stories as the "Ka-Tet") on their journey to a very different New York than the one for which he leaves in Salem's Lot.

There also exist two short stories that directly tie into Salem's Lot: a prequel, Jerusalem's Lot (set in the town in 1850, heavily Lovecraftian in tone and subject matter); and a sequel, One for the Road (set a couple of years after the novel, and more a bookend than new story outright). Both can be found in the Night Shift collection, which we'll get to soon enough.

Next up

In a fortnight we're at the Overlook Hotel, confusing ourselves about what was King and what was Kubrick, for The Shining.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yuck. I know I'll get blasted for this, but I loathed 'Salem's Lot. Boring boring boring. And as far as "most outright entertainment" in a vampire novel, obviously this guy hasn't read any of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicle books. Those things are entertainment, as well as story, characters, and a mythology that would rival Lost. Just my 2.5 cents.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Yuck. I know I'll get blasted for this, but I loathed 'Salem's Lot. Boring boring boring. And as far as "most outright entertainment" in a vampire novel, obviously this guy hasn't read any of the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicle books. Those things are entertainment, as well as story, characters, and a mythology that would rival Lost. Just my 2.5 cents.
    The first 3 vampire books by Rice were fantastic. The rest of her writing career has been devoted to fucking it up.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

No way. Memnoch The Devil and Blackwood Farm were both amazing additions to the story. Lestat meeting Jesus, come on! lol

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...ing-salems-lot
    Rereading Stephen King: week two – Salem's Lot

Second novels are tough. The expectations of what you'll deliver – especially off a success – are phenomenal.

The reason SL is so good and why it succeeded as a second novel is partially due to the fact that is was actually SK's seventh novel (Getting It On, The Long Walk, Sword In The Darkness, The Running Man, Carrie, & Blaze) but only his second published novel.

Ben has come to Salem's Lot to write his next book. We never learn exactly what it's about, despite numerous characters pestering him for information: but he does, at a later point in the novel, give away that it concerns "the recurrent power of evil", and the spooky events he once witnessed at the Marsten house.

The book Ben was working on was called The Night Creature. "...about the town, " he said, and his eyes gleamed. "The town and the madness that spreads over it and poisons it. I'm writing about mindless evil-the worst kind of all, because there is no escape from it." Ben never completed the book; as a matter of fact he burned the manuscript before leaving the Lot. However, according to the original 'Salem's Lot manuscript, he did write a novel called The Hollow, about a small Maine town named Durham that told of a savage, mythic power struggle between a local lawyer and a mill owner/real estate agent. Evidently this novel won the National Book Award.

When I was younger, it was this second half that enraptured me: the rush of the hunt (on both sides); the thrill of not knowing who would and wouldn't survive; and the pain of how much this affected the characters. Where Carrie paints emotion in one very broad (red) stroke, there is far more subtlety here. Characters you don't like still engender pity. Back then it amazed me, once I got past the – as I erroneously thought – dragged-out beginning.

Now, it's the start that I love most. It's the slowest of slow burns, all hints and drip-feed. King infuses it with descriptions that start you thinking about vampires before they even factor in the novel. When the chaos finally unfolds, it's a real payoff. You care. It takes an archetype, puts it in a situation you wouldn't expect, and watches the damage unfurl.

My sentiments exactly. Upon my annual reading of 'Salem's Lot I languish over the first half of the book, just enjoying the ride before it, in the words of the author "...takes off like a big-ass bird into a world where all the rules have become moot and anything is possible"
    I don't know how to break a quote apart so I just added my comments in bold above.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    No way. Memnoch The Devil and Blackwood Farm were both amazing additions to the story. Lestat meeting Jesus, come on! lol
    I did enjoy Memnoch. Truthfully after that I just couldn't fucking care about the series much.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I just couldn't get into it when she mixed the vamps and witches. Pandora was ok because it was still vampire based. I tried reading the first witch book and it bored me to death. So yeah, in Blood Canticle (the last vamp book) when Lestat falls in love with the main witch character, I was like "come onnnnnn, you're Lestat!" lol

Traveler caroline938 is on a distinguished road

Default About your analysis...

I'm finding your project to be an interesting one, and I'm looking forward to seeing the next installments. I, too, have read the entire canon many times. I'm new to the list, so please forgive me if this is an off the reservation remark.

Your first post made reference to identifying tropes and other stylistic devices and providing some literary analysis for each text. I think your plot summaries are clear, but I'm not yet willing to give you a pass on what you've said you'd deliver. Yes, King uses italics to show interior monologues, and that has become a stylistic trademark of his--one of many. I think it would be really interesting to discuss WHY he uses that trope the way he does, and I don't think it's just to save himself the trouble of typing 'He thought.' Also, I'm finding that though your effort is valiant, you have a tendency to rely on plot summary and what you liked and did not like, which is worlds away from thesis and analysis. You did say, at one point, that King's On Writing was the best book on writing you'd run across. I agree with you. I actually agree with almost everything you've written. I'm just pushing you a bit.

Cheers,

Caroline

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Dear Caroline,

James Smyth isn't a member here. ... I think.

Hugs,
    Shannon

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I believe she needs to go The Guardian there if she'd like to push him.

If you rescue me

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Or get him to pop in here.
    Brice, would you please take care of that?

Default Lighting out for the territories

My very first post to this forum, and it's to someone who's not even a MEMBER of this forum. I'd push if I could, but I'm not sure even someone with the touch can evoke good critical thinking skills. It's a pretty thought, though. Maybe I'll swing by the Guardian and see.

Caroline, not quite mortified enough to light out, but I do like knowing that I'm standing in the right where and when

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Or get him to pop in here.
    Brice, would you please take care of that?
    I'll let him know about us and invite him.

Caroline, stick around.

If you rescue me

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by caroline938 View Post
    My very first post to this forum, and it's to someone who's not even a MEMBER of this forum.
    I don't think there's anything catastrophic about this. We can discuss his articles here just as well as where he posts them; the only thing is that here we can't expect a reply.

Personally, I am not very impressed with his analysis. It's like a columnist who ran out of ideas, and started describing his breakfast, day in, day out, under the guise of analyzing modern cuisine. I have seen a lot more intersting reviews in our site. It is very commendable, however, that he reads Sai King's works, and seems to like them.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I'm not either. In seven long years of teaching undergraduate English courses, I read thousands and thousands of pages of 'analysis' that had about the same depth and breadth. He promised critical analysis, and I haven't seen any yet. He promised to identify tropes and stylistic devices, and I'm still waiting for him to come back and tell us that a) he knows they're the same thing, and b) the list is longer than 'King uses parens and italics to call out internal monologues.' It's true: he does--and frequently with considerable imagination--but there is so much more that can be said about his style, both his prose and the arc of his narratives, that I feel compelled to complain that we've not yet gotten our money's worth. I concur that it's admirable that he's clearly read the works closely and just as clearly admires them, and his regard for On Writing has earned him enough of my respect to keep me reading.

But my undergrads had a tough time understanding the difference between plot description and plot analysis. Between 'what' and 'so what,' or 'who' and 'who cares.' Critical analysis happens when you tell me why something has significance, what it represents, what the author is trying to do, how is point relates to a larger point or SOMETHING. Amazing how many of them came from good suburban school districts and were still entirely unclear on all the above. Very dispiriting.

King is especially challenging in some ways, because he is first, foremost and finally, a storyteller. There's a great line, somewhere in Misery I think: "Writing fiction is like masturbation. They both require quick wits, fast hands and a heartfelt commitment to the art of the farfetched." That might not be it exactly, but it's close. King is very clear that telling the story, finding out how it ends, is absolutely a matter of life and death. I'm pretty sure he's right. When people get their personal narratives, their stories screwed up, we call it insanity. Talk therapy is based on getting the story right. Freud's Beyond The Pleasure Principle says that narratives are always driving towards closure, and thus to the appropriate death. Stories have beginnings, middles, ends. And King takes potshots at academics in plenty of his Forwards, Afterwards, and so on. I've taught him nevertheless, and I've written about him nevertheless, and will no doubt do so again.

But to return to where this mail started (why use ten words when 100 will do? Say sorry), I would like to see him do some really solid critical thinking. Something we can sink our teethes into, so to speak. Not that I'm spoiling for a fight, but I'd like something more than plot summaries. I will say that he writes well, which is nice. Always nice not to proofread in your head when you're reading someone else. Cheers, all.

C

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast