Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: In the Tall Grass: Stephen King & Joe Hill in Esquire June/July & August 2012

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I was lucky enough to snag a copy (and by lucky I mean I got up at 5am and waited in the rain for 3 hours). The owner of my local bookstore said he thought there were only 150 copies, but I haven't seen anything official.

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_pyle View Post
    I was lucky enough to snag a copy (and by lucky I mean I got up at 5am and waited in the rain for 3 hours). The owner of my local bookstore said he thought there were only 150 copies, but I haven't seen anything official.

Congrats! That’s a nice find!
    Looking for lettered Voluntary Committal (Subterranean)

If you collect Joe Hill, check out my website http://www.joehillbibliography.com/

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's awesome! Cheapest King signed book at what, $13.00 bucks? I should have done the same thing. I called my local and they are sold out. The owner did confirm that they had signed copies. I was able to order copies from Water Street books with a request for Joe to sign.

Were you allowed to check all the copies for a sig or did they hand a random book to you?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Gunslinger Apprentice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle is just really nice daniel_pyle's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I know. A serious steal!

He had already separated the signed copies (he actually had multiple) from the standard ones and was doing it on a straight-up first-come-first-served basis. I know other stores were doing lotteries, etc., so I thought right up to the last second that I was going to run into some kind of issue, but nope! I was able to get the signed copy of Jeff Vandermeer's Hummingbird Salamander too. It's definitely been an awesome day!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Nice find!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Great stuff!

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I checked out the two local bookstores near me that were participating but they didn't have any signed. I did pick up two unsigned copies and the signed Hummingbird Salamander by Vandemeer.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by daniel_pyle View Post
    Yeah, I know. A serious steal!

He had already separated the signed copies (he actually had multiple) from the standard ones and was doing it on a straight-up first-come-first-served basis. I know other stores were doing lotteries, etc., so I thought right up to the last second that I was going to run into some kind of issue, but nope! I was able to get the signed copy of Jeff Vandermeer's Hummingbird Salamander too. It's definitely been an awesome day!
    Good for you, man! You deserve a nap today.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really hope this gets collected in the next King collection. (I’m not counting Hill’s book.)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    (I’m not counting Hill’s book.)
    Why is that?

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

If anyone has an extra copy they want to sell, let me know!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don’t read or collect his stuff so I would much prefer to have a King book.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    If anyone has an extra copy they want to sell, let me know!
    I'm sure you can get a slightly inflated copy on the eBays.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I don’t read or collect his stuff so I would much prefer to have a King book.
    Gotcha. I'm sure it'll happen at some point.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Good for you, man! You deserve a nap today.
    Deserved or not, it's happening!

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There was a different isbn for signed vs unsigned copies; so the shops would know what they have…and there are about 700 indie stores (not all participated) and they had to request signed copies…which were gone in less than a minute from my conversation with one shop owner…I’ve spoken with a few these last 2 days
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

The signed version does have a different ISBN on a sticker stuck over the original barcode, but the ISBN on the copyright page is the same as the unsigned version.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

And although the 2021 Independent Bookstore Day catalog does list print runs for some of the exclusive books, it lists the run for In the Tall Grass (among others) as "To Orders" and doesn't even mention the signed version.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

congrats to all that got a signed copy!

I tried pretty hard today to get one but only could finagle unsigned.

I "ordered" a signed copy from a Virginia book store yesterday only to receive an email saying they were not allowed to sell them yet and to wait untill noon the next day to see if I would get one.

Then i went down to not one but TWO local stores. At the first one i got there a full hour before opening, spied one on the table inside and was the first guy in the door and purchased what they told me was their last (unsigned) Not sure where the the other ones got too or if they had any signed ones. It definitely seemed like this location had already sold some.

The second shop I went to was a local vintage CD and vinyl (that has a small book section) store that opened an hour later. The stores were geographically close, so I was able to get from one to the other quickly. First in line at both spots. After the record store opened, the girl working there had no clue what IBD was and told me they didnt have any of that. I went to the shops FB page and showed her the post that said they did and would be selling them and she went to the back and found me one.

Then, after I returned home I received an email from the shop i had ordered from the day before at 12:05 saying that they HAD a signed copy in stock to fill my order! I was sitting at the computer when the email came in and emailed the girl back basically freaking out saying i'm blown away thank you so much for making my day! only to receive ANOTHER email from the shop at 12:31 saying i'm sorry we made a mistake we only had unsigned left!

Talk about a roller coaster!

I went into today knowing to was going to be hard to score a signed copy and even when I had gotten an email saying the shop had one for me i told myself, dont get excited until it is in hand!

I ended up first in line at 2 shops and still couldn't pull one out of the hat.

I think it is just too hard to score one of these exclusives. Every shop does something different and i'm sure folks know the value of a Stephen King signature.

I had fun out searching for the white whale, the winning lottery ticket but ended up not getting a Sig.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post

I "ordered" a signed copy from a Virginia book store yesterday only to receive an email saying they were not allowed to sell them yet and to wait untill noon the next day to see if I would get one.

Then i went down to not one but TWO local stores. At the first one i got there a full hour before opening, spied one on the table inside and was the first guy in the door and purchased what they told me was their last (unsigned) Not sure where the the other ones got too or if they had any signed ones. It definitely seemed like this location had already sold some.

The second shop I went to was a local vintage CD and vinyl (that has a small book section) store that opened an hour later. The stores were geographically close, so I was able to get from one to the other quickly. First in line at both spots. After the record store opened, the girl working there had no clue what IBD was and told me they didnt have any of that. I went to the shops FB page and showed her the post that said they did and would be selling them and she went to the back and found me one.

Then, after I returned home I received an email from the shop i had ordered from the day before at 12:05 saying that they HAD a signed copy in stock to fill my order! I was sitting at the computer when the email came in and emailed the girl back basically freaking out saying i'm blown away thank you so much for making my day! only to receive ANOTHER email from the shop at 12:31 saying i'm sorry we made a mistake we only had unsigned left!

I went into today knowing to was going to be hard to score a signed copy and even when I had gotten an email saying the shop had one for me i told myself, dont get excited until it is in hand!

I think it is just too hard to score one of these exclusives. Every shop does something different and i'm sure folks know the value of a Stephen King signature.

I had fun out searching for the white whale, the winning lottery ticket but ended up not getting a Sig.
    That WAS a roller coaster. I'm sorry it didn't turn out better for you.

I HATE when they do this kind of thing and I can't get a copy.
    I LOVE when they do this kind of thing and I can get a copy.
    So far, HATE is winning.
    If I had money to burn, it wouldn't be so bad, so what, just throw a couple hundred or a thousand bucks at someone for the signed edition. But I'm just not in a financial position to do that all the time.
    However, I must admit I have a lot of nice stuff, so I shouldn't complain, but sometimes I LOVE to complain, and sometimes I HATE to complain.
    It's kind of a LOVE/HATE relationship!
    Don't you just HATE that?

Spoiler:
    Or don't you just LOVE that?

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Next time try The Family Book Shop in Deland, the best bookstore in central Florida they were participating and had plenty!

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post

Next time try The Family Book Shop in Deland, the best bookstore in central Florida they were participating and had plenty!
    You got a signed copy there?

I didn't do the whole central FL circuit. Just hit the two stores in winter Park. I just figured I had a shot at a signed copy because i was hitting two stores, LOL

The employees at Park Ave. CDs didnt even know about Independent Bookstore Day I had to show them their own ad on facebook to get the girl to go get me a unsigned copy out of the back.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

We should start a thread on Library Thing and complain about the selling practices and gimmicks of Indie Bookstore Day!

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.ebay.com/itm/17474501330...4AAOSw3mBghHyL

Talk about taking advantage of FOMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast