Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Insomnia, Rose Madder: Which is better?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't sleep! Insomnia's better

24 70.59%
  • What's the Madder, Rose? Rose Madder's the clear winner

7 20.59%
  • I cannot tell them apart...

0 0%
  • Where did this come from?

3 8.82%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Rose Madder vs. Insomnia

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't remember what I left for you, I think it was something in this thread.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No worries! Done is done!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brice, I've tried, but I too have to spread some around. Never can rep anyone these days, the motherfucking program is never sated.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is sad when you can't get anyone to give you a bad reputation. lol

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

loyal follower of Tiamat kirin is on a distinguished road kirin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In many ways liseys story reminded me of rose madder, i remember reading a bunch of king books one after another i did insomnia, rose madder, geralds game, bag of bones, dreamcatcher,girl who loved tom Gordon and liseys story. One after another and found tom Gordon to be a short interesting read. I think i find rose and lisey similar because the alternate worlds in each felt like they could be the same world as one another

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What I enjoyed most of all in Rose Madder were the non-supernatural portions. The supernatural was really limited anyway, I think. So as a pure psychological thriller-type novel, I loved it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Who from Desperation was in Rose Madder and what's the Insomnia connection? I read Rose Madder a long time ago and finished Desperation literally 5 minutes ago and I still can't remember.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

The girl with the crazy hair (sorry, blanking on her name) was one of the woman in the shelter in Rose Madder I believe.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. It's Cynthia. I just Googled for "Rose Madder Desperation" and the first hit was Wiki. I love you The Internets.

Voted for Insomnia. It's a good one and I don't get why people thought it was slow. My main complaint would be about dialogue, some if it felt phony.

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Brice, I'd give you a bad reputation if you'd let me

I liked both books for different reasons. Just like I enjoy a multitude of different books, genres, authors. For those books that I don't care for, I just don't read them again.
    Having said that, I believe it's time for me to experience Insomnia anew.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

I've never had the option to give bad rep, I figured it was something only mods could do.

That being said, I loved both books and although not his best I really don't think either of them I could consider bad.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Maturins_Daughter View Post
    Brice, I'd give you a bad reputation if you'd let me
    Anytime!

If you rescue me

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

i put insommina and apologies on my bad spelling. but i also loved Rose Madder. both films if they are ever made that is, well when i 1st read them i did think back than i wonder how this will be filmed? i read them when they 1st came out. and with CGI and shit like that. it prolly would be easier. but still i wonder just not as much. either way they are both books i just love.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    i put insommina and apologies on my bad spelling.
    Wasn't even just typing out this short apology actually more difficult than simply looking up? The correct spelling of Insomnia is right in the thread title.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162...-storytelling/
    "I have one book that I really sort of regret. It's called 'Rose Madder,' and I had a terrific idea going into that book. And it just kind of shriveled on me, and I kept pushing. And I published the book and it didn't get very good reviews. And it didn't deserve to get good reviews, because it felt like something that had been shoved through the door."

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

your right of course, but i was just to lazy to pay attention. and really did that bad back than? i don't really remember how well it did. but either way it's i think a great book. i'm really curious that if it ever does get made into a film i wonder HOW in the hell would it even be made? i think it's another

one of his like it or hate it books. some people love it. like i do. and some say it's one of his worst. apparently he thinks it's one of his worst. well i've read it 2 or 3 times so that's one i did enjoy reading. even though it's a WTF story that doesn't bother me one single bit.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

What constitutes laziness is subjective, and human behavior is often pretty inexplicable. What is it that compels those who don't care to waste any of their energy to bother turning on a computer and sharing their opinions at all?

As for Stephen King's assessment of Rose Madder, he sadly was quite correct in it, of course. A real miscarriage of a book. So glad he carried on, tried again, and created more works later of true value.

Country
    Country Flag

Well it hurts me, because I'm a big fan of Rose Madder and for the life of me I don't get why King and some of the fans dislike this novelbb

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Crap I was thinking "Hearts in Atlantis" instead of Insomnia when I voted. Actually, I liked both Insomnia and Rose Madder ALOT!!! Rose Madder was just crazy psychotic
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It was hard to pick one or the other for me.
    I love both these books pretty equally, for different reasons of course.
    Christine

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

really for me there aren't that many of his books that i won't ever read again. and i have re-read both of them and i love both of them as well. the only downside was when i 1st read it when it 1st came out way back in (1994) was that it reeked of cigerettes. it was like someone dumped the entire book into an ashtry. thankfully i never had to read from that book ever again. i have since obtained the hardback book of it on my own.

for me one of his books i won't ever read again is Carrie. i thought that book was terrible. i know many like it but i don't. once is enough. anyways

sometimes i do feel like being lazy. and honestly when i was typing that my mind was somewhere else. i was listening to some music so i wasn't thinking at all about the title of the book being at the top of the page. oh well. i do recall when i 1st read both of the books i went what the fuck on both of them. Rose Madder kinda is a bit like either an Outer Limits episdode either the remake of it or the original series. take your pick.

or a twlight zone episode had it been made for say HBO or showtime.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is this poll to determine which one is worse? I haven't read Rose Madder yet, but Insomnia was the worst work of King I have ever read.

RoG33: really? hating on Carrie, come onnn. I put Carrie off until this summer because I thought I would hate it, but I was pleasantly surprised. The prose is very lean for King; it's hungry and succinct. There are also quite a few coming-of-age and high school insights in his first published novel.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

well i grew up with the original film. and i had really high expectations for it. and it's just one of his books that is just a miss for me. i've talked to other people online and off that also thought it wasn't one of his best. don't get me wrong i'm grateful for it cause we have his books to read because of it.

but it's just a miss for me. i love his writing but i didn't think it was that great in Carrie. i'd rather read Salem's Lot which is a LOT better written book.
    but to each their own i guess. as for this poll no i don't think it's which one is worst. it's i think a discussion on which one you prefer.

some folks here enjoyed both and some prefer one over the other. me i enjoyed both of them. i don't like ALL of SK books. but most of the ones i've read i have liked.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post

RoG33: really? hating on Carrie, come onnn. I put Carrie off until this summer because I thought I would hate it, but I was pleasantly surprised. The prose is very lean for King; it's hungry and succinct. There are also quite a few coming-of-age and high school insights in his first published novel.
    Carrie truly is a masterpiece.

I don't lose hope that one day you will appreciate Insomnia... and Wolves, of course.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

see for me i don't think it is, but to each their own my friend. and i haven't finished reading Calla yet. the reason i stopped reading? well that's easy i got burnt out by DT he he. from reading W&G and part of Calla i got burnt out. so it wasn't cause i thought it was bad. there are just some books that i force myself to finish and Carrie was one of them. but it wasn't as bad as "The girl who loved tom gordon' that one i had to force myself to finish just to say i read it. if not to anyone at least to myself. i was able to finish it thank god. but dear god was i bored out of my mind.

the regulators was another bad one but at least with that one i was able to get through it faster than Tom Gordon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4