Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1499

Thread: Joyland-Collecting Discussion

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

not only that - there were 3 late bidders and they all had bids over $2000...i should have asked for a percentage when i spread the news

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by cit74 View Post
    not only that - there were 3 late bidders and they all had bids over $2000...i should have asked for a percentage when i spread the news
    Im not a reseller but Ill tell you what I sure wish I bought several lettered and a lot more SLs. Shocking the demand for these.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm amazed also. Especially for the lettered.

John

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Why does it matter where they contract out the actual printing of the pages? If it is a UK publishing company, doesn't that make it a UK edition?
    In my opinion it does. But others may think differently. I'm glad this discussion is ongoing. I, too, was wrestling with where to shelve my copies of JOYLAND (US vs. UK).
    I don't have a "Chinese" bookshelf......fuck!
    This image contains a spoiler if you haven't read the book - Don't look if you haven't finished it!!

spoiler

This is a preliminary of one of the pieces I'm using for the engraving on my JOYLAND cases - - it's by our very own Harrison Ryan. Once everyone figures out which first edition they have we can probably talk to him for some special changes ....

If it's the Chinese first, maybe he can slant the eyes a little bit --
    If it's the UK first, he should be able to give him a stiff upper lip --
    but then if it's an Aussie first edition maybe we could run the ferris wheel backwards???

Swedish?? I dunno - maybe blond hair????

I should have a case completed over the weekend to post a pic of.... (the dolso first...)
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    Why does it matter where they contract out the actual printing of the pages? If it is a UK publishing company, doesn't that make it a UK edition?
    In my opinion it does. But others may think differently. I'm glad this discussion is ongoing. I, too, was wrestling with where to shelve my copies of JOYLAND (US vs. UK).
    I don't have a "Chinese" bookshelf......fuck!
    Spoiler:

This is a preliminary of one of the pieces I'm using for the engraving on my JOYLAND cases - - it's by our very own Harrison Ryan. Once everyone figures out which first edition they have we can probably talk to him for some special changes ....

If it's the Chinese first, maybe he can slant the eyes of Lane a little bit --
    If it's the UK first, he should be able to give him a stiff upper lip --
    but then if it's an Aussie first edition maybe we could run the ferris wheel backwards???

Swedish?? I dunno - maybe blond hair????

I should have a case completed over the weekend to post a pic of.... (the dolso first...)
    That's a very well done illustration. I like it a lot. That Harrison is one talented guy!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

SPOILER
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Amazingly, I got mine too! Thanks Tippy!!
    www.bookslipcase.com

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I marked my comment with a spoiler Merlin...you should delete your quote of my post.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a pretty funny post, Mr. Dolso!

That artwork is very well done. I like it a lot.

Question: Since it constitues a pretty important spoiler, why put it on a traycase or slipcase? How do you show it to anyone without ruining the mystery for them?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Question: Since it constitues a pretty important spoiler, why put it on a traycase or slipcase? How do you show it to anyone without ruining the mystery for them?
    I like the artwork and couldn't care less that it contains a spoiler. Anyone I might show such a case to has either read the book or is not likely to read it at all. It is probably not in their "to be read soon" list of books. And if they do the chances that they will remember the artwork in such detail that it spoils the book for them is remote. Gosh, I hate all this wimpy talk about spoilers. If you are a King fan just read the damn books when they come out. Jeez.

(Not picking on you in particular, Patrick. Sorry if it sounded that way. Just the whole general overreaction to the whole spoiler thing.)

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I had the same initial reaction when Dick described what he wanted me to draw: Isn't that a pretty big spoiler? But it seemed fun enough, and I don't mind working from a mandate, so I went ahead to the best of my ability. Hey, at least we didn't include a banner with the character's name!

Having now spent quite a bit of time doing a totally finished version, Bob's (carlosdetweiller's) comment above is reassuring. That's pretty much where I come down on it, as well. And if anyone likes the idea of the case but wants a spoiler-free version, we have (at least) one more totally different design in the works!

Update: And since Dolso has already debuted the first design, here's a slightly higher quality version of the pencils:

Spoiler:

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Just a couple of more thoughts on the topic of spoilers. I have really only been burned by a spoiler once. It was in the days of usenet on the alt.books.stephen_king forum. Wizard and Glass had just been published and I was about half way through. Some wise guy on the forum started a thread with the following title (warning.....contains a spoiler for W&G):

Spoiler:
    RHEA OF THE COOS TRICKS ROLAND INTO KILLING HIS OWN MOTHER!

There was no way to be on the forum and scanning threads without reading this major spoiler and that was the intent of this asshole. I learned that if I was reading a book and didn't want it spoiled that I needed to protect myself and not rely on others to do it for me (and I guess that is sort of the way I view life in general). I remember when DT7 came out I sequestered myself in a room and stayed completely off the internet for about three days so that I wouldn't inadvertently happen across a similar spoiler. But that is just what I do. Everyone has their own approach, I guess.

On this forum I would say that about 80% of us read the books pretty soon after they come out. For the few that haven't read the books do they really expect the majority of King fans on this forum to refrain from openly discussing the books just so they won't hear something they haven't read? I've seen people get peeved about some post that gives out a minor detail in THE SHINING for crying out loud. Everyone has an opinion on the subject and I'm sure we will hear them. I, for one, would like to know the opinions of serious King fans/readers on the topic. To me the whole spoiler thing (and the way some act so indignant and betrayed) is really overblown.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the artwork and couldn't care less that it contains a spoiler. Anyone I might show such a case to has either read the book or is not likely to read it at all. It is probably not in their "to be read soon" list of books. And if they do the chances that they will remember the artwork in such detail that it spoils the book for them is remote. Gosh, I hate all this wimpy talk about spoilers. If you are a King fan just read the damn books when they come out. Jeez.

(Not picking on you in particular, Patrick. Sorry if it sounded that way. Just the whole general overreaction to the whole spoiler thing.)
    I agree. Just read the book!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't care about spoilers, I'm more worried about the journey to the end. Of course, I'm not going to sit and read a detailed review of a book but I don't mind getting a few teasers.
    It seems that I heard an interview with SK recently wherein he thought people were making too much fuss over spoilers. Can anyone corroborate this?

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    I had the same initial reaction when Dick described what he wanted me to draw: Isn't that a pretty big spoiler? But it seemed fun enough, and I don't mind working from a mandate, so I went ahead to the best of my ability. Hey, at least we didn't include a banner with the character's name!

Having now spent quite a bit of time doing a totally finished version, Bob's (carlosdetweiller's) comment above is reassuring. That's pretty much where I come down on it, as well. And if anyone likes the idea of the case but wants a spoiler-free version, we have (at least) one more totally different design in the works!

Update: And since Dolso has already debuted the first design, here's a slightly higher quality version of the pencils:

Spoiler:
    Beautiful job, Ryan!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the drawing. Shades of "A Clockwork Orange".

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding spoilers, I agree that sometimes readers can be too sensitive about spoilers and what constitutes such but on the other hand, whether a book was published yesterday or ten years ago, I think it's ignorant to think that everybody has read it just because you have personally. The last volume of The Dark Tower was published, what, 9, 10 years ago? Everyone here (just about) has probably finished it, but would you post in the Wanted thread, for instance, that it ended with Roland
    Spoiler:
    repeating his journey in an endless loop? See, spoiler alert. A Dark Tower spoiler in a thread discussing another book is just inconsiderate.
    It's different if you're referencing/alluding to it in a specifically related thread, but if it's just out in the open in a general comment thread where someone may not think "Gee, there may be spoilers to X in here. I better be careful!", well, that's different. If you're going to refer to a fairly large plot point in a book/movie/TV show in an irrelevant forum, mark it as such. It's that simple.

As far as openly discussing a book and its specific plot points, twists, and turns, that's what the specific discussion threads are for. No one is going to deny another member their prerogative to discuss a book. That's why we're all here anyway, right? But I don't think it's unreasonable that such discussions take place in their respective threads (and for topics that may lead into unintentional plot giveaways, that's what the spoiler tags are for anyway).

Opinions were asked. There's mine.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

The drawing is awesome...but I think the "spoiler item" should be removed....it seems like it is a blending of past and present, and seems inaccurate.

Also...it just seems wrong to me to have the "spoiler item" on the cover of a "whodunnit book".

It would be like depicting Luke Skywalker handing Darth Vader a Father's Day card on the cover of The Empire Strikes Back DVD.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    The drawing is awesome...but I think the "spoiler item" should be removed....it seems like it is a blending of past and present, and seems inaccurate.

Also...it just seems wrong to me to have the "spoiler item" on the cover of a "whodunnit book".

It would be like depicting Luke Skywalker handing Darth Vader a Father's Day card on the cover of The Empire Strikes Back DVD.
    Removed?? ....... from the thread?? Talk to the mods....
    Removed?? ........from the case?? My case -- don't look if you don't want to.

Like Harrison said, we're working on a piece with 'non-spoiler' art. The post of the art was made as an apparently sad and misunderstood attempt at humor about whether it was a UK, US or Chinese First edition - nothing more.
    www.bookslipcase.com

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I meant from the case.

Just offering an opinion is all. I assumed the pupose of posting the picture was to gauge interest in a case you were considering producing multiple copies for sale.

And "removed" was a poor choice of words on my part.

And again, the image is awesome....the artist is very talented.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, no offense taken. Harrison Ryan, your artwork rocks, including the piece being discussed. I just wouldn't want that particular piece on a cover. I do occasionally show certain collectibles to other less rabid SK readers, and Dolso cases are definite attention-getters. so I agree with Rick's perspective. Also, I think Ricky makes good points about spoilers in general. I'll probably have more thoughts on this tomorrow if the discussion is still going, but for now it's late.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That's an amazing piece of artwork, Harrison. Really like it.

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great artwork Harrison!!

As to whether it belongs on the front of a case... I would have to say I wouldn't want to see it on the front myself, not that I am in the market for these cases, just my opinion.
    Christine

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

An image drawn exclusively for a high end custom case designed for high end collectors of a book they have already read. If there is a spoiler to be found in a niche that narrow it would make for a nice Hard Case mystery.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actual pics of a lettered edition posted in the Catalog:
    http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...omments&page=1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 60 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50 51 52 ... LastLast