Country
    Country Flag

while Bell was a Scot

...nuff said...

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The first television broadcast was made by Scotsman John Logie Baird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Logie_Baird

No argument on this site, or we will send in the Navy to sort you out!

Wait. The Father of the US Navy, John Paul Jones, was also a Scot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones
    Thanks Mr RT. By the way, if I return to my homeland some time soon, I would love to see your collection if that's a possiblity.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome any time.

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome any time.
    Cheers

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Agrabin, you failed to mention the BRU's most important, and some say magical, quality...hangover cure extraordinaire!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

He will probably tell us it's the only working aphrodisiac too.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Ok, that's odd.

I'm guessing you don't mean the same John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin.
    Is there another?
    Likely the inspiration for most if not all of their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by agrabin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Apparently the recipe for IRN BRU is slightly different for the US version. I don't suppose someone wants to smuggle me a real can or bottle.
    My friend..I am happy to send you some real BRU but the mechanics of transportation raise some difficulties. In order to prevent slosh in transit (as bad in fizzy drinks as metal fatigue is in an aircraft wing), I propose to insert a bottle in a vacuum flask, pack it tight with ice, seal it, wrap it in a thermal blanket and send it by private jet to any location you care to name.

It is worth pointing out here that the vacuum flask was invented by Scottish physicist and chemist Sir James Dewar in 1892.
    And now I could probably guess the nationality of the inventors of the jet, thermal blanket, ice; and the discoverer of whatever location I name.

My current state was at one time the largest settlement of Scottish Highlanders outside of Scotland. They deemed us too uncivilized for them upon realizing we had no BRU.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

And now I could probably guess the nationality of the inventors of the jet, thermal blanket, ice; and the discoverer of whatever location I name.

Modesty prevents us from bragging too much

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Agrabin, you failed to mention the BRU's most important, and some say magical, quality...hangover cure extraordinaire!
    Lisa, you are such a kind, gracious, funloving person, not to mention staggeringly attractive, I know you will easily forgive me when I suggest that you are probably in as good a position as any to judge the medicinal and recuperative qualities of the BRU after a night 'on the tear'.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Listen, all you really need to know about Scots is this:

Nothing makes me prouder of my Scottish heritage than a newspaper report like that!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Listen, all you really need to know about Scots is this:

Nothing makes me prouder of my Scottish heritage than a newspaper report like that!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...tribesmen.html

Be even more proud DD!!...rest of the World...be afraid; very afraid.

Of course we Scots have become much more cultured since those heady days when we mangled the soldiers of one of greatest Empires in history. I was going to say not to worry about locking up your daughters, but then again, if I was to cross the 'pond' and they're over 21???

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm always proud. Wouldn't label myself as Scottish - Essex boy, born and raised - but always proud to know I've got Scottish blood in me from mum's side of the family. Only been to Scotland once, sadly, back when I was barely older than a toddler, round my grandmother's place. Beautiful place. I do need to go back to Scotland one day, really. Maybe the next time my mum and dad take a holiday in the Hebrides.

Oh, and of course, two more great things Scotland gave us: Armando Iannucci and Peter Capaldi. One a fantastically talented comedy and satirical writer, the other a fantastically talented actor. Combined, you've got one of the best shows ever with the Thick of It. "I've got more on my plate than a spinster at a wedding! That wasn't a reference to your daughter, by the way."

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Wouldn't label myself as Scottish - Essex boy, born and raised - but always proud to know I've got Scottish blood in me from mum's side of the family

You are hereby accepted as an honorary Scot and in recognition of that, you will shortly receive the Order of the BRU.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Lisa, you are such a kind, gracious, funloving person, not to mention staggeringly attractive, I know you will easily forgive me when I suggest that you are probably in as good a position as any to judge the medicinal and recuperative qualities of the BRU after a night 'on the tear'.
    Ahahaaa! Well, being from Newcastle myself I'd say that proximity to the border is where I inherited my love of the finer liquid things in life! I'm married to a Scot, which were I not, I'd probably be proposing to you right now ya wee charmer!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The internet was a strictly American invention. I was playing on its' precursor (ARPANET) in my military and early government employment days in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Oh, and if it ain't COKE, it's crap.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Oh, and if it ain't COKE, it's crap.

Fuck yeah. All the meth heads are fucking idiots.

Oh, and Scotland still fucking rules! (Coming from a fucking Englishman, although cheers for the honourary Scot status, agrabin.)

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Xile View Post
    If it's pop [which gets people fat] and isn't in America, it must suck.
    I do understand that you live in a fledgeling country - almost adolescent - and I admire your enthusiasm for all things American. However, Scotland has a long history steeped in culture and its heritage is rich. We are a tiny nation but our legacy to mankind inordinately outweighs our small-holding on planet Earth. Amongst a huge number of other inventions, we gave you the following...the television, telephone, penicillin, as well as...

Anaesthetics •Beta-blockers •Bicycles •Cash credit •Colour photography •Cotton-reel threads •Continuous electric light •Criminal finger-printing •Decimal points •Fax machines •Financial services by telephone •Fountain pens •Electro-magnetism •Hollow pipe drainage •Hypodermic syringes •Insulin •Kaleidoscopes •Lime cordial •Motor insurance •Noble gases - Paraffin •Pneumatic tyres •Self adhesive postage stamps •Quinine •Radar •Reflecting telescopes •Retail banking •Savings banks •Tubular steel •Ultrasound scanners •Universal standard time •Vacuum flasks •Waterproof mackintoshes •Wave-powered electricity generators •Whisky

...oh yes...the internet too...but more important than any of these is our introduction to the World of IRN BRU.

Cast your mind back to one of the most famous movie lines of all time in 'A Few Good Men' (1992). In the court scene near the end of the film, Colonel Nathan R. Jessep says http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yB7J7DYi6M...but very few people know that in fact the line was changed from ''You can't handle the BRU''...which is why it was changed...at that time you couldn't have handled the BRU and we felt it was important not to alert inquisitive minds to that for which they were not prepared.

Only now do we belive that America is ready for the BRU and you and and your fellow Americans should ready yourselves for the experience of a lifetime.

There are forces at work far beyond your comprehension and resistance is futile.

Stanley Cup Champions - Boston BRUins!!...and don't forget one of our most distinguished members - Jean...bear...BRUin??

But don't be afraid my friend, embrace the BRU and all will be well.

Watch the ether for further updates...the time is near at hand!!
    You left out the most important Scottish contribution to culture. Sean Connery!
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Craig Ferguson is pretty awesome.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

All naturally trumped by Super Gran.

Country
    Country Flag

Ahahaaa! Well, being from Newcastle myself I'd say that proximity to the border is where I inherited my love of the finer liquid things in life! I'm married to a Scot, which were I not, I'd probably be proposing to you right now ya wee charmer!

It is true that there are those who might suggest that, in addition to many of my other finer attributes, I can be charming, debonnair, intelligent, handsome (in a boyish sort of way), witty, loyal, sophisticated, fashionable, sweet, generous, brave, funny, caring, charitable, good-natured, suave, amicable, virtuous, gregarious, hard-working, dependable, respectful, enlightened, romantic, likeable, gentle, kind, elegant, sentimental, compassionate, accomplished, generous, wise, faithful, warm, loving, engaging, considerate, special, gay...no no no no no no no, not THAT gay, gay as in happy!!!...
    ...but, you know, being the humble, unassuming, bashful chap that I am, I couldn't possibly claim to be all of those...most, but not all. I suppose the only thing that prevents me from being perfect is that I don't have a first state Salem's Lot dust-jacket.

Do I have far too much spare time on my hands?..you bet I do.

I only know you from here Lisa, but yer a canny lass and your hubby is a lucky man methinks.

Country
    Country Flag

ICry4Oy
    The internet was a strictly American invention. I was playing on its' precursor (ARPANET) in my military and early government employment days in the 1970s and early 1980s.

In 1966 Donald Davies worked at the National Physical Laboratory at Teddington just outside London, where he headed and transformed its computing activity. He became interested in data communications following a visit to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he saw that a significant problem with the new time-sharing computer systems was the cost of keeping a phone connection open for each user. He first presented his ideas on packet switching at a conference in Edinburgh.

In 1970, Davies helped build a packet switched network called the Mark I to serve the NPL in the UK. It was replaced with the Mark II in 1973, and remained in operation until 1986, influencing other research in the UK and Europe. Larry Roberts of the Advanced Research Projects Agency in the United States became aware of the idea, and built it into the ARPANET, which evolved into the Internet

Davies was born in Wales but his wife Diane (nee) Burton was Scottish. As I've indicated above, he first presented his ideas on packet switching to a conference in Edinburgh (Scotland) on 5 August 1968, over a year before the first message on the ARPANET was sent by UCLA student programmer Charley Kline, at 10:30 p.m. on October 29, 1969 from Boelter Hall 3420. Davies was also the originator of the term 'packet switching computer networking'.

As a young man, Roberts assembled a television and designed a telephone network built from transistors; inspired no doubt by his need to empathise with the Scottish inventors of these 2 mighty stalwarts of modern communication.

Oh, and if it ain't COKE, it's crap

Oh dear!

Country
    Country Flag

OchrisO
    Craig Ferguson is pretty awesome.

Don't know him, but he's a Jock so that's good enough for me.

beam*seeker
    You left out the most important Scottish contribution to culture. Sean Connery!

He's the man.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

My favorite comic book artist, Vincent Deighan--aka "Frank Quitely"--is Scottish.

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    My favorite comic book artist, Vincent Deighan--aka "Frank Quitely"--is Scottish.
    Now we're cooking with gas...love your art by the way. You have a great talent and I particularly like the drawing of Leonardo De Kilmer...no, sorry...Val DiCaprio...well, whoever he is...

No, seriously, I really do think it's a bit special.

I would be more than happy to have one of your drawings hanging in my house

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Val DiCaprio...
    Yes, everyone should definitely go to my art thread and check it out...there are prices on quite a few things. Shipping is extra, though. Or you could commission something more specific....

**End of shameless self-promotion**

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In 1970, Davies helped build a packet switched network called the Mark I to serve the NPL in the UK. It was replaced with the Mark II in 1973, and remained in operation until 1986, influencing other research in the UK and Europe. Larry Roberts of the Advanced Research Projects Agency in the United States became aware of the idea, and built it into the ARPANET, which evolved into the Internet
    Ahhhh. So a joint effort between an American and a Scot. That'll work!

........now about that gay thing.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast