Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Remove Smoke& Other Unwanted Smells from Books

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Remove Smoke& Other Unwanted Smells from Books

Some methods I have tried with success. For really smoky books all three steps were necessary.
    • Layer the bottom of a box with baking soda. Place book inside box, on top of a used paperback or other suitable pedestal. Do not let valuable book sit directly on baking soda. Prop open book slightly to expose page surfaces. Close box and let sit for a week.
    • Place dryer sheet strips inside book, and every day move sheets, beginning at front of book and working back.
    • Stand book up and carefully splay open pages. Use whatever props you need so that book doesn't fall. Place a fan firectly in front of book and turn fan on. Airflow should be as strong as possible without permanently bending pages. Every day reposition book so that different pages are exposed to airflow. After one week smoke smell is virtually eliminated. I did this in my garage as I didn't want the dissipating smoke smell to stink up my house.
    • Updated 7/2/2014-White Sage works remarkably well. I put several smoky books in a box-elevated the books off the bottom, and put broken up bunches of white sage all around the books (not touching the books) and left them there for a week. Voila! Smell gone.
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 07-02-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Gunslinger Apprentice natehorning is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. I never thought it could be removed but am going to try this soon. Sounds like it is tried and true though so I have high hopes.

Nate

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the idea of "how to's" on all aspects of book collecting in here, very cool.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Thanks Randall for the info!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Great stuff, thats RF

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I might be a perv but I am in love with the smell of books. They can be old or new or antient... they can be smelly stinky or smoky. I love it.
    When I go to buy books I love smelling them. And if I see a very very old one I must smell it.

Okay,
    I am a perv.

Roland would have understood.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Perv But, I know what you mean, the different smeels are interesting

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I might be a perv but I am in love with the smell of books. They can be old or new or antient... they can be smelly stinky or smoky. I love it.
    When I go to buy books I love smelling them. And if I see a very very old one I must smell it.

Okay,
    I am a perv.
    Only if it reaches the point of becoming fetish.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post

Okay,
    I am a perv.
    Only if it reaches the point of becoming fetish.
    *keeps thinking*

Yes, I am a perv.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The whole post made me quite hot, so I guess I'm a perv too.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The whole post made me quite hot, so I guess I'm a perv too.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing wrong with being a book perv as long as your not humping the books. Unless your into that sort of thing that is.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Used Books Care Question: Smoke Smell

So I just got a couple of very good and pretty rare first editions for an awesome price and now I know why I got them so cheap. They smell of tobacco. Anyone with any tips on how to try to get that out, or is it pointless?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Under "Collecting Tutorials" is a section on this.

Good luck.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the smell of books too, but the REALLY smoky ones just plain stink!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome, I didn't even know there was this section.

Will try it out...

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Good luck!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Let us know how it worked!

John

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Just found out some books I left with my mother were put in a room with a smoker ( ugh! nooooooo! ) ... so I'll be trying this stuff out eventually. Soon as I can recovery my books, I will.

Thanks so much for this thread.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am currently re-habbing a really smelly copy of Wizard and Glass. I have the book standing up in inside a cardboard box, and I have covered the bottom of each end of the box with baking soda. After one day, I think the book already smells 90% better.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Boy, I am so Non-PC it isn't even funny!!!! I smoke, I curse, I tell off-color jokes and I love the Yankees!!!!!!!!

I gotta get out of this place!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Great Advice Jerome! I'm trying the "baking soda" trick right now on a rare book I got a great deal on. Of course, now I know why the deal was so good (where's the 'hold your nose' smiley?)

Here's hoping it helps!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The fan also will help.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Note: do NOT use scented dryer sheets, because then your book will smell like mountain rain instead of smoke. Not that I would ever make such a mistake...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast