Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast

Thread: Audiobooks. What are you listening to?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Currently listening to: a dramatised version of Sherlock Holmes: The Tangled Skein. An unusual story that acts as both a sequel to The Hound of the Baskervilles and has Holmes meet Dracula. I'm curious to give the novel itself a read sometime.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Brother by Ania Ahlborn because it's the only Suntup book I haven't read or heard of before. It's no classic, but it's a decent story. I'm half way through. Reminds me of something Gillian Flynn would have written.

Before this one, I listened to My Best Friends Exorcism by Grady Hendrix. It was on a list, "if you liked Read Player One". It made some late 80's early 90's references, but it didn't really use the references like RPO did. It was edgy Judy Bloom material I guess. The ending made up for the rest. Can't say I'd recommend it to friends, but if you have a teenager, they would probably really like it.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by mattgreenbean View Post
    Before this one, I listened to My Best Friends Exorcism by Grady Hendrix. It was on a list, "if you liked Read Player One". It made some late 80's early 90's references, but it didn't really use the references like RPO did. It was edgy Judy Bloom material I guess. The ending made up for the rest. Can't say I'd recommend it to friends, but if you have a teenager, they would probably really like it.
    Yea this is his only book I haven't cared for. It reminded me of the Head Full of Ghosts book which I didn't get either. I'll listen to it again though it wasn't bad.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Listening to The Listener by McCammon while reading along with my hardcover copy. Anyone else ever do that? It's slower than just reading, but I'm enjoying seeing and hearing the words together. It's making the story sink in better.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

Listening to The Listener by McCammon while reading along with my hardcover copy. Anyone else ever do that? It's slower than just reading, but I'm enjoying seeing and hearing the words together. It's making the story sink in better.
    Nope. That's just craziness. Haha. Enjoy.

I listened to Replay by Ken Grimwood. It was pretty good. It was very much like a 90s Outer Limits. I was never bored listening to it. Narrater was fine.

I started Blatty's Legion but I just couldn't get into it.

Necronomicon by Lovecraft, multiple stories, multiple narraters, very well produced.
    This was my first experience with Lovecraft and I will say I just don't get it. Some stories were good like Re-animator and Music of Eric Zahn but mostly they were similar stories of things that can't described and towns where some kind of alien is wreaking havoc. I felt like Steve was inspired by these stories but actually made stories instead of just ideas and things that can't be described.

I am currently listening to Nightblood by T Chris Martindale from the Valancourt Books reprint series. I am really enjoying it, the narrater is the same guy that read The Blackwater Series by Michael McDowell he is good.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Me and my girlfriend are slowly making our way through The Sandman. I'm loving it so far. An extremely large cast of characters and an excellent sound design make this adaptation work extremely well. Definitely plan on reading the comic once I'm finished.

Also: today's binge-listen is The War Master: Hearts of Darkness. Sir Derek Jacobi is absolutely magnificent in the role. So glad he ended up getting his own series.

- Melike

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Me and my girlfriend are slowly making our way through The Sandman. I'm loving it so far. An extremely large cast of characters and an excellent sound design make this adaptation work extremely well. Definitely plan on reading the comic once I'm finished.

Also: today's binge-listen is The War Master: Hearts of Darkness. Sir Derek Jacobi is absolutely magnificent in the role. So glad he ended up getting his own series.
    I really enjoyed the first couple hours of the Sandman. After that, it was a struggle for me to finish. Currently listening to John Scalzi's Murder by Other Means and really enjoying it. Zachary Quinto is an excellent narrator.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Currently listening to FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven. Really enjoying it. I like when they have multiple narrators, and this type of story serves well by it. And it's the type of story that I think would actually be more enjoyable in an audio format. Reminds me a bit of Devolution by Max Brooks, which I recently finished. That was a phenomenal audiobook and highly recommend it. I'm not sure I would have enjoyed that one had I read it instead.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first couple hours of the Sandman. After that, it was a struggle for me to finish.
    Really? Personally, I've been enjoying it a lot. I love that it's told in episodes, too. It allows a nice mix of ongoing themes and arcs with the occasional standalone story, too. (Episodes focused on Death or random people that Morpheus knows have been my favorites so far.)

- Melike

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I really enjoyed the first couple hours of the Sandman. After that, it was a struggle for me to finish.
    Really? Personally, I've been enjoying it a lot. I love that it's told in episodes, too. It allows a nice mix of ongoing themes and arcs with the occasional standalone story, too. (Episodes focused on Death or random people that Morpheus knows have been my favorites so far.)
    Probably not my thing. I usually don't go for these types of stories but I'd heard good things.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Finished it tonight. What an amazing experience. So many great stories, and I loved the mix of both arcs and smaller, character-focused stories. A really solid audio drama, I thought.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Me and the missus are currently listening to act 2 of The Sandman. Seasons of Mists was quite interesting. A standout performance was David Tennant as Loki. Not surprising, as he’s been a great voice actor for years. I’m curious to see how the series unfolds.

- Melike

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Update on several audiobooks I listened to and read along with in the past few months.
    $=I didn't read along with.

Grimus by Salman Rushdie
    Narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds
    *Read this when I was 19. I enjoyed it then, but 20 years later, I was kinda bored by it.
    $

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen R. Donaldson
    Narrated by Scott Brick
    *First half worked for me, 2nd half got sluggish.

What Dreams May Come by Richard Matheson
    Narrated by Robertson Dean
    *Loved it. Matheson keeps a story always moving forward.

Reading The OED by Ammon Shea
    Narrated by William Dufris
    *For lovers of words.
    $

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo
    Narrated by William Dufris
    *Intense! This is the 3rd story I wasn't familiar with that Suntup has introduced to me. The others being Brother, which was good, and Replay, which I would absolutely recommend to everyone.
    $

Noir: Three Novels of Suspense by Richard Matheson
    *Finishing this up. All 3 stories have been entertaining. The first moves around a city. The second is a one room story. The third is also a confined story for the most part.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Soon by Lois Murphy
    Narrated by David Linski
    Hated it, nothing happens other than people bickering with each other.

A Good Man is Hard to Find and Other Stories by Flannery O'Conner
    Narrated by Marguerite Gavin
    Some of the stories were good, but most of them didn't seem to have solid endings. They just stop.

Somewhere In Time by Richard Matheson
    Narrated by Scott Brick (great narrator, would listen to any book he does.)
    Loved it. Matheson is really becoming a favorite. Richard did the screenplay as well and that movie is great. It's almost exactly like the book.

I Call Upon Thee by Ania Ahlborn
    Narrated by Madeleine Lambert
    I've listened to 3hrs of this 6hr book and nothing has happened. I enjoyed another book of hers, Brother. But, this one has so much trivial backstory that bogs down a simple young-woman-goes-to-haunted-family-house story.

Update on several audiobooks I listened to and read along with in the past few months.
    *Finishing this up. All 3 stories have been entertaining. The first moves around a city. The second is a one room story. The third is also a confined story for the most part.
    How was this? I've never heard of it.
    I listened to Somewhere in Time last and agree that was very well done.
    Didn't it have a different name when originally released?

I enjoyed Replay quite a bit but I did not like Dark Matter. I don't really think Blake Crouch is a good writer. I am surprised that got the Sunup treatment.
    A better book would have been Memory of Running by Ron McLarty who I am listening to read his book Art in America. It is very entertaining and funny just like Memory of Running.
    I started Summer of Night again and find it hard to listen to now because the narrator is a little boring, would love to have that re-done.
    Finished Misery the other day and Mare Winningham is always amazing. I'm thinking now that it's one of few movies that is better than the book.
    The one thing that struck me is that Steve is so much of a better writer now than when he wrote Misery. Lots of meandering in it.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Christine
    The Border (Don Winslow)
    Killers of the Flower Moon

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mikeC View Post
    How was this? I've never heard of it.
    I listened to Somewhere in Time last and agree that was very well done.
    Didn't it have a different name when originally released?
    Yeah I liked Noir. Not as original as his well known stories, but they do have some thrill to them.

Bid Time Return was the name of Somewhere In Time, before the movie.

Also from Wiki:
    While traveling with his family, Matheson was entranced by the portrait of American actress Maude Adams in Piper's Opera House in Nevada. "It was such a great photograph," Matheson reports, "that creatively I fell in love with her. What if some guy did the same thing and could go back in time?" Then Matheson researched her life and was struck by her reclusiveness. To create the novel, he resided for many weeks at the Hotel del Coronado (where the novel takes place) and dictated his impressions into a tape recorder while experiencing himself in the role of Richard Collier.[2] Matheson based much of the biographical information about the character of Elise McKenna directly on Adams.[3] The book's original title comes from a line in William Shakespeare's Richard II (Act III, Scene 2): "O call back yesterday, bid time return."

Neat. Thanks

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Currently I am listening to the Wheel of Time series on CD in my car.

Finished: The Eye of the World

and am in the middle of The Great Hunt right now.

I've never made it all the way through the Wheel of Time series before (actually reading it). At some point I will switch back to reading the actual books agin, but for the ones I have already read in print, listening to them for the re-read has been enjoyable.

There are two narrators in the Wheel of Time series: one for the male parts and one for the female pov. I tried to listen to the first book some time ago and didnt get far because i didnt like the narrator's speaking voice which is somethign that is hard for me to slog through if I decide that. I gave it another shot though, and was able to become accustomed to his voice. The female narrator is great.
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Replay quite a bit but I did not like Dark Matter. I don't really think Blake Crouch is a good writer. I am surprised that got the Sunup treatment.
    A better book would have been Memory of Running by Ron McLarty who I am listening to read his book Art in America. It is very entertaining and funny just like Memory of Running.
    I started Summer of Night again and find it hard to listen to now because the narrator is a little boring, would love to have that re-done.
    Finished Misery the other day and Mare Winningham is always amazing. I'm thinking now that it's one of few movies that is better than the book.
    The one thing that struck me is that Steve is so much of a better writer now than when he wrote Misery. Lots of meandering in it.
    I just finished Memory of Running.
    I was leery at first with the now-and-then back and forth format, as at first you don't really know where the story is going. But Ron's narration and the quick memories drew me in. The overall story was pretty good. I also enjoyed the author's interview at the end. You don't usually get a behind the scenes feature for audiobooks.

It was Forest Gumpish IMO. And in all honesty, I like Gump better. But I see why it's been mentioned several times in this thread. I'd recommend it as well.

I just finished Memory of Running.
    I was leery at first with the now-and-then back and forth format, as at first you don't really know where the story is going. But Ron's narration and the quick memories drew me in. The overall story was pretty good. I also enjoyed the author's interview at the end. You don't usually get a behind the scenes feature for audiobooks.

It was Forest Gumpish IMO. And in all honesty, I like Gump better. But I see why it's been mentioned several times in this thread. I'd recommend it as well.
    Well thanks for checking it out. It's hard to get people to listen or read this. I love Smithy, he's one of a kind I think.

I listened to My Best Friend's Exorcism again and it was a little better than I remember but it's still my least favorite Grady Hendrix book.

Audible has a Gaiman Reader which has 27 hours of short stories much of which you probably heard but 1 credit for 27 hours of Gaiman stories is a good deal.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I listened to My Best Friend's Exorcism again and it was a little better than I remember but it's still my least favorite Grady Hendrix book.

Audible has a Gaiman Reader which has 27 hours of short stories much of which you probably heard but 1 credit for 27 hours of Gaiman stories is a good deal.
    My Best Friend's Exorcism is now a movie on Amazon Prime, in case you weren't aware.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 LastLast