Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can I read The Wind right after Wizard and Glass ?

Traveler SlowMutant is on a distinguished road

Default Can I read The Wind right after Wizard and Glass ?

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Dark Tower.
    As Wikipedia says the 8th book plays between the fourth and fifth book and it happens to be that I was just near the end of book four when I heard about The Wind Through The Keyhole. - I think certain people arround here call that Ka, right ?

So would it be wise to read it right after Wizard and Glass which I am about to finish ?

Thanks!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Personally I'd read the books in order they were written and published.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMutant View Post
    Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the Dark Tower.
    As Wikipedia says the 8th book plays between the fourth and fifth book and it happens to be that I was just near the end of book four when I heard about The Wind Through The Keyhole. - I think certain people arround here call that Ka, right ?

So would it be wise to read it right after Wizard and Glass which I am about to finish ?

Thanks!
    Well, I thoroughly see Pablo's point, but if I were reading it for the first time, I think I would want to read TWTTKH before Wolves of the Calla. However, that's just me. To each his own, right?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Well, I thoroughly see Pablo's point, but if I were reading it for the first time, I think I would want to read TWTTKH before Wolves of the Calla. However, that's just me. To each his own, right?
    I think it could be interesting from an experimental point of view. One of the things that worries me a little about the positioning of Wind... is will it be jarring what with chronologically later books not referencing that material, at all. I'm thinking mainly of the start of Wolves of the Calla here where
    Spoiler:
    you get the impression the Ka-tet have gone through a long period of nothing much happening since leaving the Crystal palace. Then again, if it's mainly back-story stuff, maybe nothing much did happen for them, and we do know that Roland told them other stories off-stage so to speak from a comment made in Song of Susannah concerning the Little Doctors and Walking waters... (or something like that.)

It will be interesting to see how a first time reader, reading these events chronologically, will take the later books.

While I don't think it matters too much I'm with Merlin. I say go for it. Not just because I'm just trying to use you as an experimental subject, mind. I do genuinely think it's a good opportunity to catch all the events in the order in which they happened.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I paused on my reread of the DT series last year after WaG in anticipation of TWTTK coming this year for just this purpose.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Each point is relevant. Matter of opinion and preference IMHO. Equal arguments for either way I'd say.................

Enjoy the "Journey" is probably the most important thing!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice woodpryan is on a distinguished road woodpryan's Avatar

Stephen King says that this book falls between Wizard and Glass and The Wolves of the Calla. I really don't understand why there is even a debate about this. It seems pretty logical that The Wind Through the Keyhole should be read after Wizard and Glass.
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't seem quite as cut and dry to me...although I haven't read Wind yet, I can see how there might be differences in tone and style that would make it better as a capper to the series--kind of a "lost tale." From what I gather, the book centers around another long reminiscence, and after the long tale of nostalgia that is W&G, some readers may be ready for the ka-tet to hit the road again at that point, instead of sitting down for another campfire story. I know I was!

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by harrison ryan View Post
    It doesn't seem quite as cut and dry to me...although I haven't read Wind yet, I can see how there might be differences in tone and style that would make it better as a capper to the series--kind of a "lost tale." From what I gather, the book centers around another long reminiscence, and after the long tale of nostalgia that is W&G, some readers may be ready for the ka-tet to hit the road again at that point, instead of sitting down for another campfire story. I know I was!
    Not trying to argue with ya at all, but from what I understand (I have yet to read it as well) King's intention with regard to style and content is to make up for the timeline gap between DT IV and V. So I guess he is "Ret-Conning" to an extent. Again FWIW I see the points both ways. Matter of opinion IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that's what I think, too

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

No!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Not trying to argue with ya at all...
    Merlin, how dare you, sir????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, wise-guy, eh????? LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Oh, wise-guy, eh????? LOL LOL LOL
    What's strange is that I was looking for a different audio clip altogether and stumbled on that one from "Ryan Harrison" in about 30 seconds...

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    that's what I think, too
    I read TWTTKH after finishing the other books (of course, since I have been reading the DT books one by one since 1988 or 1989) and for me, having read the whole tale first adds to the reading experience of TWTTKH. It's a kind of 'reverse nostalgia/melancholy' because you know what will happen in their future whereas the ka-tet doesn't. It adds a layer of emotion that you'd miss if you read TWTTKH between DTIV and DTV.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

That's an excellent point, Michaël. I have a feeling that will be my experience when I get to read it in...ten days!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

excellent point indeed, and makes me want to read it NOW

which I won't be able to do at least till June, by which time I hope someone will bring it from some country

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Having experienced this with OSC's Enderverse/Shadow Series, I found it helpful to read them in published order as I could see the different connections to future events, or past events. I also had a greater familiarity with the universe as a whole, so it was much easier to get into the story.

Although, a good point was brought up about the tone. I could definitely feel a difference in tone and writing style compared to OSC's earlier books and it was a bit jarring. I just started a re-read of the DT series and I forgot how different the first book is from even the second, as far as tone and style. Since I've already read all the DT books, I'll probably read TWTTKH immediately after WandG, but I am already familiar with all the original books, so it's tough to say. I guess I would lean toward reading in published order.

Another thing I noticed upon re-reading the whole DT series, I appreciate the small references to things in Roland's past that appear throughout the revised edition of The Gunslinger. When i first started the DT series, I had no clue what he was talking about and the references were completely lost on me, and subsequently forgotten.

Traveler cupofcoffee is on a distinguished road cupofcoffee's Avatar

I think it works in both places, either after finishing the main series or between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I found it to be an unexpectedly good bridge between the two halves of the series, since the narrative is stylistically similar to the first three books. It's very fast-paced, compact, and has almost none of the despair and melancholy that peppers the final three books in the series—and it's focused on the metaphysical aspects of storytelling and the power of fiction itself, which is more like books five through seven.

But as good a bridge as it is, and as good idea as I think it was to set it between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla, I'm glad I had already finished the series when it came out. Wind Through the Keyhole ends on probably the most hopeful note of any of the books in the series, and it was refreshing to visit a more youthful, adventurous version of Mid-World after learning, in the last book, that...

Spoiler:
    Roland is trapped in the Tower's endless cycle. It definitely feels like a "lost tale" or B-side of sorts, and it gives the impression that even though Roland is damned to repeat his quest forever, there's still more to learn about his life in Mid-World. Wind Through the Keyhole as a whole is very heartwarming, but I think a lot of it's due to the feeling of hope it leaves Stephen King's "Constant Reader" with, even after s/he has finished the main series and learned the truth about Roland's quest.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My only issue is that the reader, if they are reading the series with this in between 4 and 5, might get restless with yet another "Roland tells the Ka-tet a story" tale after Wizard and Glass, especially one that has no real bearing on the rest of the series and won't enjoy it as much.

But rereading it I would probably read it like that.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    My only issue is that the reader, if they are reading the series with this in between 4 and 5, might get restless with yet another "Roland tells the Ka-tet a story" tale after Wizard and Glass, especially one that has no real bearing on the rest of the series and won't enjoy it as much.

But rereading it I would probably read it like that.
    Actually, that's a very good point!!! I forget how difficult it was to slog through The Mejis part in W&G!!! I revise my recommendation for this reason!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yes W&G did drag on in some areas. but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good book. or instead of reading the books back to back one right after another. you could take a break from wizard & Glass & than i dunno at some point read the new one than read "wolves of calla' and so on.

i just bought this the other day. for $15 at "Sam's Club" i just haven't started it yet. is it any good?

also in the beginging of the book 'King" pretty much says in it that it like someone here said takes place after the end of w&g. by the looks of it the 1st say 30 pages are normal time than the story starts. like it did in W&G

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post
    yes W&G did drag on in some areas. but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good book. or instead of reading the books back to back one right after another. you could take a break from wizard & Glass & than i dunno at some point read the new one than read "wolves of calla' and so on.

i just bought this the other day. for $15 at "Sam's Club" i just haven't started it yet. is it any good?

also in the beginging of the book 'King" pretty much says in it that it like someone here said takes place after the end of w&g. by the looks of it the 1st say 30 pages are normal time than the story starts. like it did in W&G
    Didn't mean to sound like I didn't enjoy the book, I did. Like you say for me, the first time, it dragged a bit. You have to understand I was one of those folks that began reading TDT back in the '80's. There were literally "Years" between books and I was anxious to get to the Tower!!!!! Or at least continue on that storyline. It drove me nuts!!!! Cause I knew there were years until the next installment!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead 33 View Post

Have you read all the books yet? I'd be mad at King if the publishing order was Wizard and then Wind. It does absolutely nothing to move the plot. Basically, Roland is telling a story to pass some time. I mean, if you prefer to read the story in the chronological/correct timeline order, that's fine and your prerogative but then you might as well read the Mejis parts from Wizard first, then Little Sisters, then The Gunslinger, Drawing, Waste Lands followed by non-Mejis/childhood parts of Wizard. That'd be the correct time line, more or less. Or just read them in the published order.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I mean, if you prefer to read the story in the chronological/correct timeline order, that's fine and your prerogative but then you might as well read the Mejis parts from Wizard first, then Little Sisters, then The Gunslinger, Drawing, Waste Lands followed by non-Mejis/childhood parts of Wizard. That'd be the correct time line, more or less. Or just read them in the published order.
    It still takes place between 4 and 5 -- Roland and the Ka-tet have left the Emerald Castle, etc and are on their way to the Callas. It's written as part of the series proper even if it doesn't advance the main plot. King himself said it's intended to be read between the two and bridge the gap. Little Sisters of Eluria was its own thing taking place outside of the series.

Now again I wouldn't necessarily recommend reading it that way the first time around as some may grow impatient with the bulk of the novel being a largely unrelated story and wanting to get back into the main plot but it's not the same thing as reading W&G first as that would be reading what King intended to be the fourth part of the series before the first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast