• Duma Key

12 36.36%
  • Different Seasons

17 51.52%
  • Never read one or both titles

4 12.12%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wave 1B: Duma Key vs. Different Seasons

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Wave 1B: Duma Key vs. Different Seasons

vs.

This is the third and final round of our 2012 Constant Reader Awards. Please vote for the book you would rather re-read. The winner receives 0.1 points added to its score previously acquired in the first two rounds.

If you haven't yet read either book or both of them, please vote Never read one or both titles. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Duma Key!
    Same!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Different Seasons.

Apt Pupil, The Body and Shawshank are three of my absolute favorite King novellas.

sk

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Close, close.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Different Seasons.

Apt Pupil, The Body and Shawshank are three of my absolute favorite King novellas.

sk
    Yeah, hard to top that (no matter how good Duma Key is!)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Duma Key!
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I am realizing more that I really didn't like Duma Key. I'd like to say that this one is close since Different Seasons is not a top 5 book IMO like such matches as DK vs. The Stand and DK vs. The Waste Lands, but DS is in my top 10 somewhere, and when I think about it there's really not much contest, say sorry.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    I am realizing more that I really didn't like Duma Key.
    NO.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I am realizing more that I really didn't like Duma Key.
    NO.
    Well, I really did like it, but I didn't really like it. You see.

Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure I liked it, come to think of it, like I'm not sure I liked Desperation or Roadwork. They are not exactly likeable.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I'm really routing for Duma Key. It's my second favorite out of the ones that have moved on, so I'm really hoping it does well.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure I liked it, come to think of it, like I'm not sure I liked Desperation or Roadwork. They are not exactly likeable.
    Oh dear, are you going to pick on my diction all night? What I liked most about Duma Key was Wireman... but was he a greater character than Red? Or Chris Chambers? Duma Key is impressive as a dramatic work and a horror novel, as are Desperation, et al. Mostly in the themes of loss and mortality, but as I've explained elsewhere, I believe SK dealt with these themes in other books somewhat better than this. Some people think DK represents a new stage in his career, but to me it's extension of the mature period begun with Bag of Bones. It is an okay novel, with fairly strong essence, definite strengths, and flaws not as serious as their equivalents in such as Lisey's Story. But not an extra special accomplishment so far as I can see.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Seeing the Duma Key love in this thread got me to start a re-read last night. I'm already 100 pages in! Only read it once before (when it came out), but it wasn't one of my faves at the time. Really enjoying it this time around, though...maybe 'cause I've got art on my mind a lot lately? Anyway, time for tonight's reading session!

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

Country
    Country Flag

Oh dear, are you going to pick on my diction all night?
    I am not picking! I love talking to you, and we haven't been talking much lately. I will reread Duma Key soon (doing a major King re-read now), and hope to be able to post something more coherent and sensible than the blank verse of my post above.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Words are hard, truth slippery. I'm not really satisfied with my own analysis above, just because it is so analytical. No blame if you can't phrase the other side coherently. Good luck, though.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

DS was a lot of bang for the buck!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate you people for making me choose between these two.

Fuckers.

DIFFERENT SEASONS

Country
    Country Flag

Last chance to vote! The poll is closing!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The poll has closed. The winner with 51.52% of the vote was Different Seasons. It receives 0.1 points in addition to its current FAS (Final Average Score), making it 7.505555556.

+ Reply to Thread