Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skeleton Crew - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

:radioactive: Skeleton Crew - Let's Discuss! *SPOILERS*

Story List

•The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet
    •Beachworld
    •Big Wheels: A Tale of the Laundry Game
    •Cain Rose Up
    •For Owen
    •Gramma
    •Here There be Tygers
    •The Jaunt
    •The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands
    •The Mist
    •The Monkey
    •Morning Deliveries
    •Mrs. Todd's Shortcut
    •Nona
    •Paranoid
    •The Raft
    •The Reach
    •The Reaper's Image
    •Survivor Type
    •Uncle Otto's Truck
    •The Wedding Gig
    •Word Processor of the Gods

This set has one of my favortie all-time short stories in it... Survivor Type. Just creepy! What did you think of this collection? What are your favorties?
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

my absolute favorite here is The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet

I also love Cain Rose Up and Here There be Tygers

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Big fan of Word Processor of the Gods and The Mist. Have read both multiple times. The Jaunt is one of my all time favourite short stories, and to this day I can still picture the son at the end of the story after he comes out of the Jaunt. Sends a chiver down my spine every time I think about it....

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jimimck View Post
    and to this day I can still picture the son at the end of the story after he comes out of the Jaunt.
    to this day I fail to block it out, however hard I try

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the Jaunt. One of my favoritest King stories.

Remember "The Tomorrow People" from British tv? They called their teleportation power 'jaunting'.

Uncle Otto's truck is good too.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Favorite stories are Survivor Type, The Raft and The Mist. But, this is my overall favorite collection.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nona! One of the best ever.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My second favorite collection (behind Night Shift). I group the stories as such (no particular order within each grouping):

Excellent:
    The Monkey
    The Jaunt
    The Raft
    Word Processor of the Gods
    Survivor Type
    The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet

Very good:
    The Mist
    Mrs. Todd's Shortcut
    The Wedding Gig
    The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands

Ok story:
    Here There Be Tygers
    Paranoid: A Chant
    The Reaper's Image
    Uncle Otto's Truck

Just didn't do it for me:
    Cain Rose Up
    Beachworld
    Nona
    For Owen
    Morning Deliveries (Milkman #1)
    Big Wheels: A Tale of The Laundry Game (Milkman #2)
    Gramma
    The Reach**

**This one is constantly anthologized in the "best of" collections. Really? Of all the King stories, this one is the one everyone grabs for their collections?

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mtdman View Post
    I love the Jaunt. One of my favoritest King stories.

Remember "The Tomorrow People" from British tv? They called their teleportation power 'jaunting'.

Uncle Otto's truck is good too.
    In Alfred Bester's classic The Stars My Destination, folks can "jaunte" from place to place (though not through outer space). I believe Bester's concept was a direct influence on the King story. (Good book, too!)

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Strange that this is the one that I'm rereading right now. On The Mist right now, but feeling that jolt of anticipation for The Jaunt. That final mental image of the son coming out of the Jaunt is pretty intense.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That final mental image of the son coming out of the Jaunt is pretty intense.
    One of the scariest images I think King has ever given me....

Country
    Country Flag

Yes.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What didn't you like about Nona, divemaster? It's one of my all-time favorite King short stories!

Country
    Country Flag

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Mist is a dark story.
    The Jaunt was cool.
    Survivor Type, Sai King was probably was under the influence when he wrote that one.

Greg

Gunslinger Apprentice jsteltor will become famous soon enough jsteltor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe this has been discussed already, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist mentions that the Skeleton Crew version is slightly different than the Dark Forces version. Does anyone know what changes were made for SC?
    Wants:
    Insomnia S/L
    Joyland S/L

Have:
    Doctor Sleep - CD PC copy
    Very Best of Best New Horror - PC copy
    Smoke and Mirrors - PC copy
    PS Publishing Anniversary editions set

Along the Path of the Beam Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity will become famous soon enough Eternal Unity's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsteltor View Post
    Maybe this has been discussed already, but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mist mentions that the Skeleton Crew version is slightly different than the Dark Forces version. Does anyone know what changes were made for SC?
    King re-wrote The Mist for Skeleton Crew, according to the Notes, which are at the end of the paperback edition of the story collection.
    He changed the overall rhythm of the story so it'll flow more to the reader.
    Same flow can be found in the story The Langoliers from Four Past Midnight and in the novel Revival.

Greg

Gunslinger Apprentice jsteltor will become famous soon enough jsteltor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you
    Wants:
    Insomnia S/L
    Joyland S/L

Have:
    Doctor Sleep - CD PC copy
    Very Best of Best New Horror - PC copy
    Smoke and Mirrors - PC copy
    PS Publishing Anniversary editions set

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thoughts on Skeleton Crew from my somewhat recent (2016) re-read:

The Ballad Of The Flexible Bullet - still as excellent as ever. One of my favorite King short stories.

The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands is an excellent old-school “weird tales”-type thing, folded within the framework of an enjoyable return to 249B East 35th.

The Reaper's Image - short, packs a punch. One of his better ones.

Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, The Jaunt, The Wedding Gig, The Raft, and Survivor Type are good, but not among my favorites.

I feel like I'd enjoy Nona and The Reach more if I could tell what was going on. Not that I couldn't follow what story there was; I just always had the feeling there was a bit more to it than he was telling us.

In The Wedding Gig, is he alluding to The Black Spot ("...Billy-Boy…formed a band of his own...an all-black combination...")?

In Nona, was Charlie Logan the person known as "lard ass" Hogan, of The Body? After all, this story did have an appearance by Vern Tessio.

I wonder what Tabby thought upon reading Word Processor Of The Gods.

The Mist, The Monkey, Uncle Otto's Truck, and Gramma (probably the best of this group) are still good stories, although I'm no longer as wild about them as I once was.

King's traffic cone story (in Notes, at the end) is quite entertaining.

Morning Deliveries: (Milkman #1) strikes me more as a writing exercise than writing.

I'm apparently not a poem guy; Paranoid: A Chant and For Owen did nothing for me.

So fond am I of my own writing that I will close by quoting a long passage (about the character of David Drayton in The Mist) directly from my notes taken during that re-read:

It must be said: David Drayton is a cheesy asshole. Let’s examine:

Seeing that Norton’s “eyes crawled over her [Steff’s] tight T-shirt” and that later “his eyes went to the front of Steff’s T-shirt again” meant Norton “was not a man I was every going to be able to really like.”

But only a few hours later, our hero was “developing an uncomfortably strong feeling for” Amanda Dumfries and “wanted to make love to her," despite the fact that his “wife was at home, maybe alive, more probably dead, alone either way…”

And not long after that, he did the deed, considering that “this was a way…to take the curse off what Ollie and I had just done [cut down and hid the dead soldiers’ bodies]…the only way.” Not since Friend of the Year Dennis Guilder have we seen something this cheesy in the way of justification.

Sure, you’re in a tough spot – maybe have some more beer, or even some hard stuff, maybe some junk food – but this?
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Paranoid: A Chant is full of Espionage Conspiracies.
    Very Cool!

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    Thoughts on Skeleton Crew from my somewhat recent (2016) re-read:

The Ballad Of The Flexible Bullet - still as excellent as ever. One of my favorite King short stories.

The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands is an excellent old-school “weird tales”-type thing, folded within the framework of an enjoyable return to 249B East 35th.

The Reaper's Image - short, packs a punch. One of his better ones.

Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, The Jaunt, The Wedding Gig, The Raft, and Survivor Type are good, but not among my favorites.

I feel like I'd enjoy Nona and The Reach more if I could tell what was going on. Not that I couldn't follow what story there was; I just always had the feeling there was a bit more to it than he was telling us.

In The Wedding Gig, is he alluding to The Black Spot ("...Billy-Boy…formed a band of his own...an all-black combination...")?

In Nona, was Charlie Logan the person known as "lard ass" Hogan, of The Body? After all, this story did have an appearance by Vern Tessio.

I wonder what Tabby thought upon reading Word Processor Of The Gods.

The Mist, The Monkey, Uncle Otto's Truck, and Gramma (probably the best of this group) are still good stories, although I'm no longer as wild about them as I once was.

King's traffic cone story (in Notes, at the end) is quite entertaining.

Morning Deliveries: (Milkman #1) strikes me more as a writing exercise than writing.

I'm apparently not a poem guy; Paranoid: A Chant and For Owen did nothing for me.

So fond am I of my own writing that I will close by quoting a long passage (about the character of David Drayton in The Mist) directly from my notes taken during that re-read:

It must be said: David Drayton is a cheesy asshole. Let’s examine:

Seeing that Norton’s “eyes crawled over her [Steff’s] tight T-shirt” and that later “his eyes went to the front of Steff’s T-shirt again” meant Norton “was not a man I was every going to be able to really like.”

But only a few hours later, our hero was “developing an uncomfortably strong feeling for” Amanda Dumfries and “wanted to make love to her," despite the fact that his “wife was at home, maybe alive, more probably dead, alone either way…”

And not long after that, he did the deed, considering that “this was a way…to take the curse off what Ollie and I had just done [cut down and hid the dead soldiers’ bodies]…the only way.” Not since Friend of the Year Dennis Guilder have we seen something this cheesy in the way of justification.

Sure, you’re in a tough spot – maybe have some more beer, or even some hard stuff, maybe some junk food – but this?

I must say i thoroughly enjoyed Survivor Type. Likely my favorite of King's shorts.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

+ Reply to Thread