Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Gunslinger Apprentice towerguard is on a distinguished road towerguard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by towerguard View Post
    Nine inch nails just released a new album!

nin.com <--- free dl'd
    They are also touring N. America this summer...

dates and pre-sale info can be found on their site at this link...

http://tour.nin.com/
    Yeah, it's a shame lollapalooza costs so much, or I'd be right there in the front row...jerking off.
    I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for? - Franz Kafka

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Weezer's The Red Album is currently rocking my world.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Weezer's The Red Album is currently rocking my world.
    I'm a huge, huge fan of the weez- for about 12 years now. I could go on and on. Hope to pick up the new one very soon.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's really amazing Ryan. I love every single song on it. However, I think Pinkerton is still my favorite album of theirs.

Which is your favorite?

The Blue Album is the most nostalgic for me, but Pinkerton is my favorite too and I bought it when it first came out. Across the Sea is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard and the album has such a raw feeling to it. Every word, every riff, every solo has so much passion in it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes! Across the Sea is one of my all-time favorite love songs.

Have you ever heard Counting Crows "Anna Begins"? It's another of those incredibly beautiful, passionate love songs in my opinion.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I've been listening to a lot of Weezer lately too.
    I remember reading somewhere a while back that Rivers Cuomo said that he found a scientific formula that he applies to the music to make every single song catchy.(I can definitely see that it works)
    I think of that whenever I listen to Weezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I remember reading somewhere a while back that Rivers Cuomo said that he found a scientific formula that he applies to the music to make every single song catchy.(I can definitely see that it works)
    Where did you here that? I read that he just meditates for hours until he uncovers a line or a hook in his head.

Either way, he definitely has a gift for melody.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Jude, have you listened to Nick Drake before? If so, I am curious to hear your opinions on his music.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Jude, have you listened to Nick Drake before? If so, I am curious to hear your opinions on his music.
    Seconded. I have a feeling Drake would be right up Ryan's alley.

Country
    Country Flag

Do you like him R_of_G? I think it is fantastic music, very relaxing.

I love Nick Drake. I agree, it's very relaxing music except when I try to play it, then I realize how complex some of it is and it doesn't relax me at all

Country
    Country Flag

Any favorite songs?
    Personally, my favorite album is Five Leaves Left but there are so many songs I enjoy. The "popular" Pink Moon is cool and Which Will is great!

"Which Will" and "Hazy Jane II" are prob my two fav, though I do like most of his songs. I love the album Bryter Later, but Five Leaves is also an amazing album. I love "Pink Moon" and often think of it when I am reading Wizard & Glass.

Have you ever heard Beck's Nick Drake covers? He did "Pink Moon," "Which Will" and "Parasite" and released them through his website awhile back. They are pretty good versions of the songs, faithful to Drake's arrangements, and they are perfect for Beck's voice. I was very pleased with them.

Country
    Country Flag

Have you ever heard Beck's Nick Drake covers? He did "Pink Moon," "Which Will" and "Parasite" and released them through his website awhile back. They are pretty good versions of the songs, faithful to Drake's arrangements, and they are perfect for Beck's voice. I was very pleased with them.
    I've never been too fond of Beck but this sounds interesting. I can totally hear his voice going with Nick's songs. I may have to try to track them down.

I've never been too fond of Beck but this sounds interesting. I can totally hear his voice going with Nick's songs. I may have to try to track them down.
    Beck I usually take on a song by song basis. I def prefer when he plays guitar and sings (like his very early stuff and then again with Mutations and Sea Change). The Drake covers were just Beck and an acoustic guitar so it worked very well for me. I still prefer the originals, but it was nice to hear a current artist give some props to Drake.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    Where did you here that? I read that he just meditates for hours until he uncovers a line or a hook in his head.

Either way, he definitely has a gift for melody.
    Oh, jeez, I can't remember. It was probably in Rolling Stone or something years ago.

Monte, I haven't but I'd like too because Elliott Smith was compared to him repeatedly when he started to get noticed. Elliott listened to him for the first time and said, "yeah, I guess I can take that as a compliment." Could you recommend something for me specifically?

Monte, I haven't but I'd like too because Elliott Smith was compared to him repeatedly when he started to get noticed. Elliott listened to him for the first time and said, "yeah, I guess I can take that as a compliment." Could you recommend something for me specifically?
    Hey Ryan. The best place to start with Nick Drake is the album "Five Leaves Later." If you enjoy that, you can pick up his other stuff. Unfortunately there is very little Drake to collect as he took his own life very early. I think that album will avail itself to your singer/songwriter likings. I also know it's Monte's fav Drake album so he would approve of the recommendation.

Hey Ryan. The best place to start with Nick Drake is the album "Five Leaves Later." If you enjoy that, you can pick up his other stuff. Unfortunately there is very little Drake to collect as he took his own life very early. I think that album will avail itself to your singer/songwriter likings. I also know it's Monte's fav Drake album so he would approve of the recommendation.
    Thanks Jayson, consider it done.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jayson, consider it done.
    I do agree, though the album is called "Five Leaves Left."

*edit*
    His album "Pink Moon," his last, is also very good. It is pretty much him and his guitar and songs off that one are what introduced me to him.

I do agree, though the album is called "Five Leaves Left."
    thanks monte. i combined two albums into one there "Bryter Later" and "Five Leaves Left" *duh*

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

This is cool. I'm just getting into Nick Drake and here I find this discussion.
    I discovered him through the film Garden State - the soundtrack is excellent.

If Jayson, Monte, and SJ recommend anybody to me, its a done deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfound One View Post
    This is cool. I'm just getting into Nick Drake and here I find this discussion.
    I discovered him through the film Garden State - the soundtrack is excellent.
    Cool SJ What song(s) of his were used in the movie?

If Jayson, Monte, and SJ recommend anybody to me, its a done deal.
    You can't go wrong listening to us.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast