Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General Music Discussion

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I'm with you, She-Oy. I prefer CDs.

Never listened to the Pogues, Chris. Guess I'll have to check them out, too.
    Yes, you must, and then get back to me about how awesome they both are.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The Dubliners = okay.

Right now I am listening to Alisdair Fraser's "Stratherrick" and getting depressed (it's the Irish in me, I can't help myself - I love a good depressing song).

I've seen him live, he totally ROCKS! A truly awesome fiddle player - he could teach the young ones a thing or two, I think. I have an autographed CD of his (he used to play the local Scottish Festival here every year).

I miss him. He got the consierge of the Holiday Inn to Irish step-dance to his fiddle playing one year. It was awesome!

Hadrian's Wall, The Glengary Boys, and The Wicked Tinkers are great too - they all made the Scottish festival here one year or another, and they are a LOT of fun!

But Alisdair is my favorite. Right up there with Naimh Parsons. Her "Clohinne Winds" gives me chills.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Ubersnob Frunobulax is on a distinguished road Frunobulax's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm still a CD and vinyl purist. But oftentimes, downloading is the only way I can get the music I want in more outre genres (like IDM, breakcore, and various other electronica forms). Oh, I found all my Pixies shit, so now I'm SUPER happy.
    My favorite bands can kick your favorite bands' asses.

The horizon is right and motionless like the EKG of a dying woman.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Holy cow, I need to listen to this CD more often. Alisdair Fraser's Sally mo ghradh is even more sad.

Damn, I love me some depressing Celtic music.

The happiest time of my life was the two weeks I spent in Ireland - the first day we were there we stumbled upon the Ennis music festival - musicians from EVERYFUCKINGWHERE just hopping in and out of pubs and playing. AWESOME.

I am sooo buying a pub and retiring there.

Well, maybe in Westport. On the sea, nice small town, great people. Come to think of it, I did not meet one idiot or jerk anywhere in Ireland.

Hmmm. Wonder how much $$$ I need? I want to go NOW!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

Depressing Celtic music?? Sounds interesting. I'm cheering up and down with The Glad Fact by modern underground indie band Dirty Projectors.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and I've never been a big Pogues fan....sorry Chris.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

The Pixies!! Debaser is my favourite, closely followed by Caribou. Fruno, you're making me dig out all my old cassettes here

Country
    Country Flag

DEBASER!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Girl you're so groovy - uh uh uh oh!!

Country
    Country Flag

I'm also listening to a lot more DEVO than I used to.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    I'm waiting for the Drop Kick Murphy's to come by again. They are in Europe on tour and I missed this show....

I didn't get to see them at Bogarts because I was broke, and am very angry about it. I love Dropkick Murphys
    I mean, dude, I live in Michigan and couldn't make it. ya, I was broke to. Hey, if you hear of them coming close to us anytime soon, drop me a note.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Gunslinger Apprentice kithereal is on a distinguished road kithereal's Avatar

Default tool Concert

I brought My son David to See Tool last week.
    Davis is 9. He is a huge fan. ( the whole family is )

Tool was David's very 1st concert....
    The boy was speechless...he had this look on his face that read "I am unable to process what I am seeing."
    We have been to places where there are alot of people but he has never seen a huge venue like The tweeter center....he was floored.
    It took a few songs for his eyes to de-glaze.
    People were so very cool to him because he was so young and it was his first concert.
    He had a great time it was an awesome concert.his quote of the night
    "OMG this is nothing like hearing it on my MP3 player"""
    SO CUTE
    i had to share
    KIT

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow...you are an awesome parent!!! My eldest is 9 and I dare not let him read your post because he'll be like "WHY DON'T YOU EVER TAKE ME TO GIGS?!!"

Country
    Country Flag

I picked up the new Ween EP (The Friends EP) yesterday. Highly recommend that any fan of Gener and Deaner find it, or anybody who wants to know why Ween are so great.

Also on September 14, I'll be seeing Dirty Projectors live at The Echo on Sunset!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oooohh!!! Can you give me a track listing for that EP Fruno?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Wow...you are an awesome parent!!! My eldest is 9 and I dare not let him read your post because he'll be like "WHY DON'T YOU EVER TAKE ME TO GIGS?!!"
    I have heard alot of things on the Tool page about violence and crowd surges ....I don't know why but for a extremely intelligent band they attract quite a few major Idiots
    BUT Tweeter center is a great venue... very safe, open air ..there were alot of "interesting" smells in the air so that open Air was important.
    It could be his last chance to see them( you never know )
    experiencing the smells,and the drunks was worth seeing these AMAZING musicians/ artists . They are really cool humans.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't been to any major gigs since I had kids, but I'm well into kids experiencing the music scene if the parent feels confident with it.

My 9 year old is into bands that I imagine have a slightly tamer audience like Coldplay and The Fray - neither of whom are my sorta thing, but I'd certainly take him if the opportunity arose. I really want to take the kids to Glastonbury one year - Rob and I used to go all the time before we had them - but its so outrageously expensive now I don't think we could afford for all 5 of us to go

Country
    Country Flag

Oooohh!!! Can you give me a track listing for that EP Fruno?
    No problemo.
    1. Friends
    2.I Got To Put The Hammer Down
    3. King Billy
    4. Light Me Up
    5. Slow Down Boy

Coming in September: La Cucaracha--the new LP!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

brilliant - cheers Fruno

Country
    Country Flag

brilliant - cheers Fruno

Each song is in a different style, too. Friends is cheesy techno, King Billy is reggae, etc.

I haven't been to any major gigs since I had kids, but I'm well into kids experiencing the music scene if the parent feels confident with it.

My 9 year old is into bands that I imagine have a slightly tamer audience like Coldplay and The Fray - neither of whom are my sorta thing, but I'd certainly take him if the opportunity arose. I really want to take the kids to Glastonbury one year (
    My first concert was Bobby Vinton ( no snickers please ) So I was really happy to be able to take him to see his favorite band....hope the right opportunity presents itself for yours ....
    speaking of Glastonbury..
    I love this one video of Elvis Costello singing "oliver's Army" at Glastonbury....the people looked so cool and fun....would love to go too! Not my side of the pond though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNMCWGCAIME

elvis is playing the coolest guitar....

KIT

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by kithereal View Post

My 9 year old is into bands that I imagine have a slightly tamer audience like Coldplay and The Fray - neither of whom are my sorta thing, but I'd certainly take him if the opportunity arose. I really want to take the kids to Glastonbury one year (
    My first concert was Bobby Vinton ( no snickers please ) So I was really happy to be able to take him to see his favorite band....hope the right opportunity presents itself for yours ....
    speaking of Glastonbury..
    I love this one video of Elvis Costello singing "oliver's Army" at Glastonbury....the people looked so cool and fun....would love to go too! Not my side of the pond though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNMCWGCAIME

elvis is playing the coolest guitar....

KIT
    oh snap!! I gotta find a picture for you. There's a picture of Bobby Vinton kissing my mom at a concert in my home town. My grandma busted into his trailer while he was taking a shower too!! Italian women, what can you say?

oh snap!! I gotta find a picture for you. There's a picture of Bobby Vinton kissing my mom at a concert in my home town. My grandma busted into his trailer while he was taking a shower too!! Italian women, what can you say?[/QUOTE]

your Grandma busted in on Bobby Vinton?
    I almost spit out my coffee
    so funny
    KIT

My Mood
    Amused

Yes. The story goes he was taking a shower and he came out in a towel and there was my little italian grandma sitting at a table smoking a cigarette. From what I gathered he was pretty nice to her and she waited while he got dressed. And then at the concert, he walked up several rows and had my mom stand up and he kissed her. I've been thinking...grandma in trailer....mom gets kissed at concert...hmmmmm... sounds like grandma talked Bobby into it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Your grandma rocks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast