Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Currently Reading The Wastelands

Traveler Dragonston19 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Currently Reading The Wastelands

I'm new here, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this.

So I picked up the entire collection around Christmas, to treat myself. My uncle had recommended this series to me for some time, since him and I were both King fans. I finished the first one in about three days, and the second yesterday. I'm currently on the third, and around page 80 or so. I have to honestly say this so far, is one of the most enjoyable reads I've ever had the pleasure to come across.

Since I am new to the series, (please, no spoilers) from people who have read the whole thing, just what are your thoughts on the series as a whole? Is it worth finishing? (I'm going to regardless), how much did you enjoy it? And what advice if any would you give to someone just now stumbling across the third book in the saga?

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

well. if you are not new to SK, you may expect this, but I think the series is worth reading if you don't mind the usual yanking around at the end.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Country
    Country Flag

Yanking around at the end? D:

As long as he doesn't kill of Roland, I'll be good. xD
    I highly suspect he'll be killing off Eddie or Susannah, which he usually does (with no mercy, might I add) to some of the main characters.

The story's pretty wonderful so far. I'm hoping it'll be just as good at the end too.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello, welcome.

Less time posting, more time reading.

Wizard and Glass was my favorite, Song Of Susannah was my least favorite. Have fun.

Shannon

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome! Please keep reading, so worth it regardless of any yanking!! LOL
    Wolves of the Calla is my favorite, Song of Susannah my least

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Hello, welcome.

Less time posting, more time reading.

Wizard and Glass was my favorite, Song Of Susannah was my least favorite. Have fun.

Shannon
    Look how our "Shannon" has changed!!!! Now he is endorsing the "Read"!!!!! Way to go "Grasshopper"!!! Sincerely!!!

Yes, you are in for a wonderful journey that has to be taken as a "Whole". It is controversial and thought-provoking, but definitely not something you want to miss out on!!!! Enjoy the series and then give us your thoughts!!!

Spoiler:
    Thank the God's, you will not have to wait years to find out how the "Cliffhanger" comes out!!! Blaine is a Pain!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonston19 View Post
    Yanking around at the end? D:

As long as he doesn't kill of Roland, I'll be good. xD
    I highly suspect he'll be killing off Eddie or Susannah, which he usually does (with no mercy, might I add) to some of the main characters.

The story's pretty wonderful so far. I'm hoping it'll be just as good at the end too.
    It IS good. Hey, there wouldn't be a whole forum dedicated if the majority thought it was crappy. Yanking around is my referral to unrealistic crap that gets thrown in at the end as well as the ending which you will either love or hate. You pretty much expect some of the beloveds to get killed off, I won't tell you which ones--but you better avoid spoiler threads!) I made the mistake of reading some Wiki stuff so I found out about some things early so the surprise was lost for me on a few things.
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Country
    Country Flag

Yeaahh. I already accidentally read bout Jake being in the rest of the story. Didn't see that one coming, but it's whatever. Wasn't anything huge. I just stopped where Jake left the classroom before his final. Story is definitely taking some twists and turns that I didn't suspect, such as the whole world gradually becoming larger and whatnot. I think Roland explained it, saying that the longer they take to get to the Tower, the farther it is away, or something along those lines. But so far, so good. I'm digging the whole time paradox thing too. Didn't know the story would take that route.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Don't rush through!

The first time I read the whole series I think i got faster as I went through the books.
    I was having palpitations by the last 200 pages!

Enjoy.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Country
    Country Flag

Just talking about it had made me start reading again. xD I'm hooked already.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just talking about it had made me start reading again. xD I'm hooked already.
    Dear God its too late!!

Another DT Junkie.
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Country
    Country Flag

There's nothing wrong with that. :]

Country
    Country Flag

Indeed not.

It's nice to have fellow newcomers around because sometimes I feel like I missed all the fun when the books were fresh but...

...I can join in when TWTTK is released!

Red Cloud

Country
    Country Flag

Yeahh. My uncle was telling me how he picked up the first book the year of its release, and waited anxiously for the next six to be released over the course of the years after that. I for one, cannot stand waiting for books. Drives me mad. But I do wish I could've experienced them when they were fresh. I'm about 200 pages into The Wastelands now, and I'm hooked. Hahaha.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

If you hurry up with Waste Lands and Wizard & Glass, you could be one of the first people to ever read The Wind Through the Keyhole before you read Wolves of the Calla. Also, if you do that, you will read four consecutive Stephen King books with titles that start with "W". Interestingly, there are no other Stephen King books that start with "W". I don't know why that fascinates me so, but it does.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    If you hurry up with Waste Lands and Wizard & Glass, you could be one of the first people to ever read The Wind Through the Keyhole before you read Wolves of the Calla. Also, if you do that, you will read four consecutive Stephen King books with titles that start with "W". Interestingly, there are no other Stephen King books that start with "W". I don't know why that fascinates me so, but it does.

I never thought of that!

Red Cloud

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    You are "strange and intriguing" in this fascination....................quite possibly the most intriguing man in the world!!!! Do you drink "Dos Equis"???????????

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

As has been mentioned its created a whole internet website so it must be worth finishing? you will have tons of questions while you are readin it and when you finish, just dont be tempted to go into any spoilers!!! But in saying that I would have loved to have had a whole website to discuss the book/series while I was reading it

I love speaking to people who are just discovering the books for the first time, I have become a little blase about them due to having countless re-reads, but when you speak to a newbie it brings all that excitement and enchantment back again.

Yeahh. My uncle was telling me how he picked up the first book the year of its release, and waited anxiously for the next six to be released over the course of the years after that. I for one, cannot stand waiting for books. Drives me mad. But I do wish I could've experienced them when they were fresh. I'm about 200 pages into The Wastelands now, and I'm hooked. Hahaha.
    I was one of those that had to wait for each installment, and I think sometimes its what made me love them so much. I feel sometimes when things are handed to you - you dont get the same craving? if that makes sense?

My hubbie has just finished Wastelands and he has to wait a few weeks before he can pick up the next installment as we are moving - and this is driving him crazy!!!! he knows nothin

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

I just finished Wizard and Glass last night and am going to start Wind through the Keyhole tonight. So far, Wizard was my favourite and was well worth it. If I could give you any advice, it would be to stay away from the message boards that will provide spoilers. By accident I read too much on Wiki and found out what happens in Wizard and Glass before I finished. It didn't ruin the book for me but I kind of wish I hadn't read it. I can only imagine the anticipation I would have felt towards the end of it if I hadnt known what was going to happen. I have since stopped looking too deeply into the discussions that might give anything away.

I almost started the Gunslinger a few years ago but decided I wanted to wait until I had the whole set available and could read straight through. I am glad I did as my wife read the first 3 and part of Wizard many years ago and now has to start over in order to reconnect with it fully.

+ Reply to Thread