• 2: Only so-so

0 0%
  • 1: I didn't like it

1 2.70%
  • Never read

1 2.70%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #8: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #8: The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass (1997)

The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, 1997

Please vote for The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

5, one of the strongest in series")
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Deliberated between two and three, decided two would be too harsh. But this was the worst of the series.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

5, not the best of the series but still good and almost a stand alone story

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

3-Would have been better if Susan wasn't so whiny...scurries out of thread giggling

Does whatever a spiderman does.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Deliberated between two and three, decided two would be too harsh. But this was the worst of the series.
    Ditto

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

5. Loved it.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The best of the series!

sk

Traveler greatcthulhu is on a distinguished road

3. Average King; (worst of the series)

W&G is the least successful of the seires for a number of reasons:

1. While the references to The Wizard of Oz work within the parameters of the DT series, it displays a lack of imagination on King's part.

2. The transitions from journey to tale and journey again is awkward; the narrative voice does not change. It is quite jarring in fact and makes for an uncomfortable reading experience.

3. Roland, in the end, is a very unreliable narrator. When Eddie asks Roland how he can know the four corners of the story he is telling, Roland replies, "Is that really what you want to ask, Eddie?" While Eddie says "No," the reader is screaming "Yes! Yes! Yes!" While it is explained later that Maerlyn's Grapefuit showed him the things that he couldn't possibly have known otherwise, Roland admits that he had to guess at some of it. Also, the Grapefruit was shown to have lied to him before. The unreliable narrator is not in itself a bad thing in literature, but given the totality of the W&G reading expereince, it works against the novel.

While W&G is the least successful of the series, it is not one King's worst books. But it is pretty average King (which is still pretty good.) So I gave it a 3.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Greatcthulhu, I feel we've met before.....Nah, I'm postive our paths have crossed.

And you're forgiven!

sk

Along the Path of the Beam dubrosa22 is on a distinguished road dubrosa22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The best? Or nearly at least!
    Amazing book. I literally get shivers every time I think of certain events/moments from it.
    “All you need for a movie is a gun and a girl.” - JLG

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Gave this a 4. It's my second-to-last favorite of the series, but I don't hate it by any means. And I didn at least start to enjoy parts on my 3rd time through.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I guess that SK just gambled that if you can learn to appreciate Eddie's sense of humor, you can learn to appreciate anything.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny you say that...the parts with Eddie were pretty much the only parts I fully enjoyed/looked forward to.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The author apparently has some things in common with some of his characters. But in-depth TDT discussion can fill whole forums, and it won't do to try to put it all onto this one thread. Suffice it to say that this volume stands alone. Not my personal favorite one, but I think it is the most distinct.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was my favorite so far (only have finished first four). I absolutely loved the story of Susan.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Well, I guess that SK just gambled that if you can learn to appreciate Eddie's sense of humor, you can learn to appreciate anything.
    he failed with bears, both the antecedent and, logically, the consequent.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

At the time I read it, I loved it. So I gave it a 5.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

4 - the love story was pretty basic, and Susan wasn't a particularly strong character to me, but I still found it very readable.

Also, while the references aren't exactly as subtle as one of my other favourite stories of all time (note that, like Jean, I still prefer to think of TDT as one story rather than 7, despite voting for W&G on its own merits only), I still appreciated the Wizard of Oz references.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I give it a 3. Easily my least favorite of the DT books. I like anything and everything having to do with Blaine. I also really like the Oz stuff, because it establishes exactly how Roland's world is related to our own. However, I could do without the 500 pages of Roland's life in Hambry. Specifically, I think that Roland is a putz. I enjoyed reading about Cuthbert and Alain, but I wasn't terribly excited about reading about the counting of horses/nets/etc. I admit that the book was better the second time around, so maybe I'll do another reading this summer and we'll see how it goes.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This was my favorite of the series and one of my favorite books, period. Loved the backstory. Tales of star-crossed lovers really hit me in a special way and this one did the trick. Easy 5.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, it has the second-worst art.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

5. My favorite of the series. Everyone seems to either love or hate this book. Not sure why, I am in the "loved it" camp.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Everyone seems to either love or hate this book.
    No. Bears don't the hate it. They love some parts (preciously few), and are annoyed and/or bored by the rest.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    Everyone seems to either love or hate this book.
    No. Bears don't the hate it. They love some parts (preciously few), and are annoyed and/or bored by the rest.
    That's how I felt the first time, and for a while after. At this point, I'm used to the annoyances and more entertained by it in general; still don't love the whole, but only hate a few parts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast