Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2012 Oscar contest

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Best picture

“The Artist”

Best actress

Viola Davis, “The Help”

Best actor

Jean Dujardin, “The Artist”

Best supporting actress

Jessica Chastain, “The Help”

Best supporting actor

Nick Nolte, “Warrior”

Best director

Michel Hazanavicius, “The Artist”

Best original screenplay

“Midnight in Paris”

Best adapted screenplay

“The Descendants”

Best foreign language film

“A Separation”

Best animated feature

“Rango”

Best animated short film

“A Morning Stroll”

Best live action short film

“Pentecost”

Best art direction

“The Artist”

Best cinematography

“The Artist”

Best costumes

Jane Eyre”

Best documentary feature

“Hell and Back Again”

Documentary short subject

Saving Face”

Film editing

“Hugo”

Make-up

“Albert Nobbs”

Original score

“The Artist”

Original song

“Real in Rio”

Sound editing

“Drive”

Visual effects

“Rise of the Planet of the Apes”

Sound Mixing

"Moneyball"

The toughest choice for me was best supporting actress. I had to choose Jessica Chastain because she was so good in The Help, even though I think it will go to Berenice Bejo. Cinematography was another tough choice between The Artist and Tree of Life but they are so different to compare. I think the cinematography in The Artist was much more tangible so I chose that. Original Screenplay is tough but I was enchanted by Midnight In Paris so I chose that.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, here are my picks. So far I've seen 7/9 of the Best Picture nominees. I think that's the most I've ever seen before the Oscars.

Best picture
    “The Artist”

Best actress
    Viola Davis, “The Help”

Best actor
    Jean Dujardin, “The Artist”

Best supporting actress
    Octavia Spencer, “The Help”

Best supporting actor
    Christopher Plummer, “Beginners”

Best director
    Michel Hazanavicius, “The Artist”

Best original screenplay
    “Midnight in Paris”

Best adapted screenplay
    “The Descendants”

Best foreign language film
    “A Separation”

Best animated feature
    “Rango”

Best animated short film
    “La Luna”

Best live action short film
    “Raju”

Best art direction
    “Hugo”

Best cinematography
    “The Artist”

Best costumes
    “The Artist”

Best documentary feature
    “Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory”

Documentary short subject
    “The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom”

Film editing
    “The Artist”

Make-up
    “The Iron Lady”

Original score
    “The Artist”

Original song
    “Man or Muppet”

Sound editing
    “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”

Sound Mixing
    “The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo”

Visual effects
    “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The effects ones were tough as I've seen about none of them haha

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

And the winner is....a three way tie?????????????

Servant - 14
    Heather - 14
    Ricky - 14
    Stockerlone - 12
    Shannon - 11
    Thorin- 10
    Mattrick - 9
    Feev - 8
    Garrell - 8
    Odetta - 5
    Mystima - 4

Great show tonight. I loved having Billy Crystal back. It just seems right to have him be the host. I was also happy to see Hugo and The Artist strike it big. They were two of my favorite films of the year.

This is the most people we've had so far to participate in the Oscar contest. Everybody did a great job. I encourage everybody to correct their own tests. It's pretty late and I might have made mistakes. As is stands right now, there is a three way tie for first place between me, Heather and Ricky. Congrats guys...unless you guys want to come up with some kind of tie breaker
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

What, how did I get in there! I thought for sure I was out this year Congrats guys.

This was a tough a year. Partly because I wasn't familiar with a majority of the films. And also unlike last year where most of the awards were locked up, many of these were up in the air. There were still a few surprises for me though.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats to the 3 in front of me.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm kicking myself because I make predictions for this contest and I also do one with my family. I try to keep all the picks the same. Well, I don't know how it happened, but for the contest I do with my family I ended up picking The Shore to win best Live Action Short, which it did. For some reason I picked Raju to win in our contest. If I had picked The Shore for this one, I would have won. Oh well.

It's good that this happened though because I'm going to implement a tie breaker so this doesn't happen next year. Basically, everybody will submit their choices like usual, except they will also add which film they think will win the most Oscars and give a number. In case of a tie, who ever has the closest number without going over is the winner.

This year was funny because I read a ton of "expert" opinions to try help form my own opinions (especially on the technical awards) and most of them ended up not winning. From now on I'm going to ignore the so called experts and go with my gut. I feel like I know more about most of these films anyway.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    This year was funny because I read a ton of "expert" opinions to try help form my own opinions (especially on the technical awards) and most of them ended up not winning. From now on I'm going to ignore the so called experts and go with my gut. I feel like I know more about most of these films anyway.
    I did the same thing and changed 2 of my choices last min because everything I could find was leaning towards those 2. Neither of them got it but the ones I had chosen both won

So how did you do against your family?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Three way tie?

To begin, I'd like to thank the Academy and Uggy...

Congrats to Heather and Mike as well. This was my second year doing the contest and I had alot of fun.

I thought for sure that TGWTDD woud pick up more awards in the sound category, so I was suprised that Hugo snuck in there. And now that Meryl won Best Actress, I really need to see The Iron Lady.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats to you three ! And yes, we definitely need some sort of tie breaker system set for next year.

To be honest, I had completely forgotten The Iron Lady existed prior to last night. Must watch that too.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was odd Streep one. Ebert wrote an entry after the nominations about the outlash at Fassbender and Gosling being robbed of nominations. In it he said he felt The Iron Lady was a generally flat movie and Steep didn't wow at all, she was good as you'd expect her to be but he felt it was listless compared to other performances and the nomination was a formality because, it's Meryl Streep. Such a strong set of nominees I really didn't expect her to win. I think Viola Davis should have won it, loved her in The Help.

Country
    Country Flag

Pretty much everything I've read says The Iron Lady wasn't too great, but Meryl's performance made it worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    the nomination was a formality because, it's Meryl Streep.
    Sounds similar to a couple years ago when Jeff Bridges arguably won for Crazy Heart because he was "due" for an Oscar.

And I really thought Viola would win it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

If anyone is long overdue for an Oscar it's Gary Oldman (and I'm not just saying that because he's my all time favorite actor, I swear!).

He has given us countless memorable performances and it's a shame he has yet to be recognized by the academy.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I did the same thing and changed 2 of my choices last min because everything I could find was leaning towards those 2. Neither of them got it but the ones I had chosen both won

So how did you do against your family?
    I scored 15 points and beat my sister by 3. We're usually a lot closer.

Also, I picked Streep to win because it had been almost 30 years since her last win. It was almost becoming a joke because she would get nominated almost every year, but never win. I figured it was about time she won another one.

A little late, but I watched Midnight in Paris yesterday and I gotta say, I wasn't blown away. I thought it was a good film, but not great. Maybe I read too much hype. Other than that, I've pretty much seen every main film from last year. I do however have to see a few films that got snubbed. For instance: Shame, Take Shelter and A Dangerous Method to name a few.

Country
    Country Flag

I had the exact opposite experience with Midnight in Paris. I went in thinking I wouldn't like it, but actually loved it. It was original, funny, and just an overall fun movie. Plus, I generally hate Owen Wilson but found him oddly tolerable (and actually likeable?) in this one. And it was nice to see Rachel McAdams be a bitch for once.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Midnight In Paris because of it's amazing screenplay...the dialogue, the idea alone and everything. Between the music and the sets and costumes and locales and I just loved it. The acting was all good, Owen Wilson who I've comed to like due to Wes Anderson films, really shined in this movie. All the actors or portrayed real people did so wonderfully, especially Alison Pill as Zelda Fitzgerald and the guy who played Hemingway. It's one of those movies that to me is simply delightful to watch. I can see it will be one of those movies like Punch Drunk Love or The Royal Tenenbaums that I will watch multiple times a year because they have this special quality that is hidden way deep below the surface.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2