• 2: Only so-so

1 3.23%
  • 1: I didn't like it

3 9.68%
  • Never read

6 19.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #5: The Tommyknockers (1987)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #5: The Tommyknockers (1987)

The Tommyknockers, 1987

Please vote for The Tommyknockers using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

wow!! someone else has "loved it"!!! last year there were 8 such freaks - besides bears

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Gets a 4 because the ending seemed rushed
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I ranked this average. My least favorite of his novel up to this point in time.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Big fat "1" for me. The Tommyknockers is firmly entrenched in the bottom 5 for King books. As usual I actually liked the characterizations but the story was just too (stupid? ridiculous? boring? -- pick your pejorative) for me. I've actually read it twice and no, it didn't get better the second time around.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

4 It's been so long since I read it, but I remember really enjoying it. I need to give it a reread sometime soon.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Got a 4 from me.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Neve read it, but apparently some people don't like it that much, lol. Can anyone give me a non-spoilerized synopsis?

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry Bears, I usually agree with your impeccably good taste but I did not like this one at all. Aliens and D cell batteries............sheesh! Although this is one of my sisters favorites.

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A misunderstood, underappreciated, underrated novel. A four from me.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Average. One of the few King novels I couldn't really get into.
    Time for a re-read, I guess.

sk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by blavigne View Post
    Sorry Bears, I usually agree with your impeccably good taste but I did not like this one at all. Aliens and D cell batteries............sheesh! Although this is one of my sisters favorites.
    you certainly understand that bears do not give a flying intercourse about aliens or D cell batteries. What they cared deeply about were the kids, and the grandfather, and the wretched poet, and the dog, and the horror of the New and Improved as a concept... It makes me so sad that in people's minds it is an Aliens story, why it is so - more than almost any other - poignantly human.

(and Barbara - bears are not known for good taste... unless we're talking donuts... )

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    A misunderstood, underappreciated, underrated novel. A four from me.
    I agree, I loved this book and really don't understand the bashing it gets? The characters in this book, put a lot of his recent rushed novels to shame!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    you certainly understand that bears do not give a flying intercourse about aliens or D cell batteries. What they cared deeply about were the kids, and the grandfather, and the wretched poet, and the dog, and the horror of the New and Improved as a concept... It makes me so sad that in people's minds it is an Aliens story, why it is so - more than almost any other - poignantly human
    yes, yes and thrice yes Sir Bear. Most excellently put
    Spoiler:
    the dog

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The characters in the story reflect on what a stupid story it is. Wow, life is so absurd; I wouldn't believe things like this could happen if they weren't happening to me, etc. That kind of technique doesn't always work, but here I thought that it was kind of cool, especially given the warping of normal reality happening everywhere in it, what with group-mind telepathy, precognition, and so on. Remember, the Tommyknockers were making some of the people's bad dreams come to life. Basically, the science is not to be taken seriously.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A lot of Kings books ask you to not take science/characters seriously - or in the case of some more seriously than is warranted, look at IT - one of his more popular books. The characters and situations here could be classed as prety silly ( silly being the take on Tommy Knockers in some posts above)
    Spoiler:
    A bunch of kids get to defeat a nasty clown and they beat him good and proper - by have sex (not just normal sex but a gang bang!!!) but oh no look he has come back, we will have to revert to the child inside to defeat the nast clown. Oh and lets not forget the floating turtle!!!!

I'm not gunning for an arguement, far from it - Its just a puzzle to me that the particular book get slated so much, when to me personally I can't see a huge difference as to why?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

It's clear that you're replying to me, pathoftheturtle, and then you can't forget to insult
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Spoiler:
    ... the floating turtle!!!!
    and I'm still supposed to believe that you're not gunning for an argument?

Well, I'll admit that The Tommyknockers really is somewhat spotty, but before It came up for comment in this contest, I had not realized just how many tdt.org members fail to appreciate true art. Hmph.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Big fat "1" for me. The Tommyknockers is firmly entrenched in the bottom 5 for King books. As usual I actually liked the characterizations but the story was just too (stupid? ridiculous? boring? -- pick your pejorative) for me. I've actually read it twice and no, it didn't get better the second time around.
    ^^^ This.

Traveler Laurar will become famous soon enough Laurar's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow

Love the Tommyknockers

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

This was the fastest King book I ever read. I gave it a 4
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    you certainly understand that bears do not give a flying intercourse about aliens or D cell batteries. What they cared deeply about were the kids, and the grandfather, and the wretched poet, and the dog, and the horror of the New and Improved as a concept... It makes me so sad that in people's minds it is an Aliens story, why it is so - more than almost any other - poignantly human.

(and Barbara - bears are not known for good taste... unless we're talking donuts... )

This is why I adore bears.......and I beg to differ, you have impeccable taste As a matter of fact you have convinced me to reread this book

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Last chance to vote! the poll is closing!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I read this book so long ago I can't remember a thing about it.

Country
    Country Flag

time to re-read?

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Not if he's never read It, Misery, or Dolores Claiborne. I say put off a Tommyknockers re-read until later.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast