Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Companion Reference Guide--DT.com needs your help!

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    crap. i'm glad i read this thread.
    It explains that chat you were in on a whole lot, doesn't it?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

John F. Kennedy DTrose19 is on a distinguished road DTrose19's Avatar

when you say each person doing a chapter are you counting the part 1, 2, 3, and so on or the chapters within the parts as the chapters? These books are set up a bit confusing on that subject.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

We really need an example.
    One thing for sure-once we know what to do, we need not only the specific book edition but also the chapter and pages- simple example
    DTIII, The Wastelands chapter 6 pages 201-206

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DTrose19 View Post
    when you say each person doing a chapter are you counting the part 1, 2, 3, and so on or the chapters within the parts as the chapters? These books are set up a bit confusing on that subject.
    This is a very good question. I think that will be driven by how the book itself is set up. SoS in split into Stanza's. Whatever division is listed on the glossary page.

I have been through the one I put up there, taken notes and pics of my notes. Also created the forum (its not visible)...so I should have an example of what I'm trying to accomplish up soon.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I finally came up with an example of what I am trying to accomplish. I'll add this post to the one at the beginning of the thread.

FAQ on the Companion:

What exactly do you want me to do?
    • All you have to do is pick a "section" of one book in the series. It must match the criteria above. Some books are divided differently, see the glossary page for clarification.
    • Let us know which one you are doing by posting or PMing anyone on the staff
    • Develop your system--an example of mine is below.
    • Begin with paragraph one, write anything significant the paragraph makes reference too (its actually really easy)
    • Make sure you keep track of page, section and paragraph numbers
    • **Hard part** --use a word processor to transcribe the paragraphs that contained a significant reference. (could take weeks)
    • Send that to me and I will do the rest
    Each paragraph that contains a significant reference will be added to its page. Please try hard on the spelling and stuff, it needs to be right.

This is what I did, you don't have to mark in your book. I can get another one and its in pencil of course.

This is the note pad I kept:

This is a list of the individual references I found in that section (they are called "Stanza's" in the 6th book). Each of these will someday represent a Towerpedia! article with a link to its page that shows the reference for each book.

Why are we doing this?

Once this is done, we should have a visually search able index of each instance in which a particular person place or thing appeared in the books. By approaching it from that perspective, we don't have something that resembles flat retyping the book. Which we cannot do.

This will index it by it. For instance, Black Thirteen will have a wiki page. At the bottom will be links to every place it was mentioned in the books. That is what we will create.

Why so hard?

See above

Obviously, I am open to suggestions. I already have several pages of my section transcribed so I will be able to show you even more about how it will look in a week or so. Thanks to everyone who is considering helping with this project.

Is there a lot of typing?

Yes.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wanna play!!!!!

I just checked and I have the correct copy of The Gunslinger...so I can begin at the beginning, if anyone wants me too.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

about typing: I have all the books (except The Revised) already typed. Maybe I just can email the needed chapter to everyone who is doing that, and it would be easier to find the part they're working with, and then copy and paste it, - I mean, after the rest has already been done and pages kept track of (which is impossible in the electronic version I have)? This way the mechanical part of the word won't have to take weeks.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I am so not touching this with a ten-foot pole.

I'm prioritizing new wiki pages based on what gets done here, so I think I have my hands full.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    about typing: I have all the books (except The Revised) already typed. Maybe I just can email the needed chapter to everyone who is doing that, and it would be easier to find the part they're working with, and then copy and paste it, - I mean, after the rest has already been done and pages kept track of (which is impossible in the electronic version I have)? This way the mechanical part of the word won't have to take weeks.
    Wow Jean, you literally have all the trade hardbacks already typed? That is amazing.

I would say that we could use that to make things a little smoother.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

all ready!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool!

Could you email the one you have for Song of Susannah? I would love to check it against what I already have.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Once you guys get organized, if you could post or PM me a list of topics, I'll start prioritizing the entries for Towerpedia!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure Daggers--I'm still getting a feel for this thing as we go along.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I have plenty to keep me busy until you get it up and running.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Cool!

Could you email the one you have for Song of Susannah? I would love to check it against what I already have.
    sure, PM me your email address

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

sent; but mail behaved in a weird way, so please confirm when you get it, ok?

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I got it Jean, I will unzip and have a look see when I get home.

Thank you!

<--loved the bear hugs.

Country
    Country Flag

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just wondering where y'all are at on this? I'd still be willing to contribute, but I think discussion about it just fell off, so I don't know what to do. I know I had done a little bit on the first book.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Eeek! I'm so sorry Heather, this kind of slipped to the back burner with the fund raiser kicking up.

I still very much want to do it but it may end up being a second year thing.

I'm also open to any suggestions on the best way to handle it, its a hell of a project and the closer you look at it...the bigger it gets.

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I've actually already started a bit on this. It's really fun actually.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I have my hands full with Towerpedia!, but I can offer proofreading/editing services as needed.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wizard and Glass could be tricky. Are we talking about using the Grant hardcover with the print run of 40,000 for that, or the Viking mass market hardcover released in 2003?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Viking. I have a complete list in Towerpedia! in the reference pages. I'd use the ones listed there. Those are the most accessible for the most people.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast