Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Companion Reference Guide--DT.com needs your help!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default A Companion Reference Guide--DT.com needs your help!

This project is looking for serious volunteers from all parts of the site--new members, old members and everything in between.

Obviously any Dark Tower Fan Site worth its salt has got to have a way to search and reference the books in the series. We are talking about a site version of the concordance and book search all under one umbrella. Written top to bottom by the members of this site.

This will be yet another amazing resource for information on the internet about The Dark Tower. This website has already established itself and that sort of repository so the tradition will continue!!

A very large project that will take years to complete.

Please only serious volunteers past this point--we need commitment to see this through.

The Dark Tower Reference Companion:
    • A reference forum linked through Towerpedia! Not viewable from the site but accessible by all through said links.
    • "References" by person, place or thing. Then grouped into wiki "books" for easy navigation.
    • A reference mention for every article in the Towerpedia! Every person, place or thing that appears in the series referenced with page number and context.
    • A table of contents for each article grouped by book that will show other people, places and things from that book
    • People, places or things mentioned in multiple books will have an article for each book--grouped accordingly
      • meaning, Roland would have a reference page for each of the books--HUGE!!
    • Companion based on "references" to the people, places and things of Rolands world. Rolands entry would be other people speaking of him for instance.
      • This one we need to talk about because we need to create a standard for the structure of what we will put in here. Roland stopping to scratch his ass on page 215 in book three is too much.
    Obviously a huge undertaking my friends.

The work will be divided into chapters. A member takes a chapter from any book and adds their name to the list announcing it.

That member combs that chapter for references and writes them down.

Then you give it to me or Daghain--very simple. We'll do the rest.

First piece of criteria to volunteer is that you have a Trade Hardback copy of the book (see references page for ISBN number). Daghain will posts specifics. We all have to use the same "edition" of the book for this so we decided to go with one a bunch of folks might have.

For instance, I have hardbacks only in the last 3...but I can choose a chapter from those if I like and get started.

The second piece of the criteria is commitment. If you choose a chapter and volunteer, please follow through.

You'll receive 1000.00 in site money per chapter

Hope this makes sense, I am hoping Bethany can help me keep this first post updated with the list of people who here to volunteer and submit their chapter choice.

Thank you!

The Gunslinger:

No chapters taken

The Drawing of the Three:

No chapters taken

The Waste Lands

No chapters taken

Wizard and Glass

No chapters taken

Wolves of the Calla

No Chapters taken

Song of Susannah

Matt: 12th Stanza: Jake and Callahan

The Dark Tower:

No chapters taken

More on the Companion:

Well, I finally came up with an example of what I am trying to accomplish. I'll add this post to the one at the beginning of the thread.

FAQ on the Companion:

What exactly do you want me to do?
    • All you have to do is pick a "section" of one book in the series. It must match the criteria above. Some books are divided differently, see the glossary page for clarification.
    • Let us know which one you are doing by posting or PMing anyone on the staff
    • Develop your system--an example of mine is below.
    • Begin with paragraph one, write anything significant the paragraph makes reference too (its actually really easy)
    • Make sure you keep track of page, section and paragraph numbers
    • **Hard part** --use a word processor to transcribe the paragraphs that contained a significant reference. (could take weeks)
    • Send that to me and I will do the rest
    Each paragraph that contains a significant reference will be added to its page. Please try hard on the spelling and stuff, it needs to be right.

This is what I did, you don't have to mark in your book. I can get another one and its in pencil of course.

This is the note pad I kept:

This is a list of the individual references I found in that section (they are called "Stanza's" in the 6th book). Each of these will someday represent a Towerpedia! article with a link to its page that shows the reference for each book.

Why are we doing this?

Once this is done, we should have a visually search able index of each instance in which a particular person place or thing appeared in the books. By approaching it from that perspective, we don't have something that resembles flat retyping the book. Which we cannot do.

This will index it by it. For instance, Black Thirteen will have a wiki page. At the bottom will be links to every place it was mentioned in the books. That is what we will create.

Why so hard?

See above

Obviously, I am open to suggestions. I already have several pages of my section transcribed so I will be able to show you even more about how it will look in a week or so. Thanks to everyone who is considering helping with this project.

Is there a lot of typing?

Yes.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I can help with WaG.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You can check the references page in Towerpedia! for the correct editions. I verified the ISBNs last night.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sweet! Thanks Daghain

I am going to see if I have the right SoS right now

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, if anyone has a different edition or thinks I have an incorrect ISBN, let me know. I'll take another look at it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Drat - my WaG is the wrong edition. I'm trying to collect the US hardbacks though, so I should be able to help with this eventually.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I don't know if the page numbers would match up. Hmmm.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

No, they don't. My WaG is the US version and it's different that way from my UK version.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, see how you are.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, superior in my European-ness obviously

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! Good one!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

And I'm not even drunk yet!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Try harder!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

1hr and 40 minutes 'til pub time

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Woohoo!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Back to topic: I have verified that I have the correct version of Song of Susannah

I will be taking the 12th Stanza: Jake and Callahan

I am really hoping people will check the first post and get involved with this wonderful project. I will post and example of what I am planning after I review this chapter.

Also, I think this is a great opportunity to view the series from a different perspective--through its references.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think putting up an example would help - that way people know exactly what you're looking for.

Demon of the Prim Ruki is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

yes an example would be good i'll be ready to commit to it once i see matt's work and compare it to the chapter so i know what to make a note of and what to ignore. i'm assuming things would mean important things, or will we have a page dedicated to every time the word "shoe" appears?

i only have dmg. i can't believe i have a reason to be disappointed about that. why are the first four viking?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I tried to use editions that are currently in print, and therefore readily available.

Country
    Country Flag

well dammit that makes too much sense for me to argue.

i have the right versions of 5 & 7 (artist's edition of 6, i'm assuming that would be useless). those should hold me over for a while

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

But you should never feel bad if you have Grant editions.

Country
    Country Flag

true. i love my collection

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What do you mean by trade hardback? Does that include 1st editions?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

crap. i'm glad i read this thread.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Check the ISBN numbers in the references page of Towerpedia! - those are the editions you'll need to use. I tried to pick ones you could still pick up on Amazon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast