• 2: Only so-so

3 7.32%
  • 1: I didn't like it

0 0%
  • Never read

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bracket #3: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Bracket #3: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (1982)

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, 1982

Please vote for The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger using the following scale:

5: I loved it
    4: It was good
    3: Average
    2: Only so-so
    1: I didn't like it

If you haven't read this book yet, please vote Never Read. Feel free to discuss your votes in this thread.

You may base your vote on the 2003 revised version as well as the 1982 original. Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Loved it - duh!!

sk

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

In the beginning, God created the heavens and the Earth. The man in black fled across the desert, the Gunslinger followed.

Gen. 1:1

I read this in 1983 and began a journey that is yet to be finished. It has lead to great times within my imagination and in the late 90's it lead me to great people at a website. Later in the 90's I met many of these folks in N.H. for a great time. To this day I still meet, in person, great folks from time to time (Hi Mike.)
    This journey was the bane of the High School Wrestling, Basketball, Track and Cross Country coaches as I refused their invitations to the respective teams in order to read.

This book ranks just short of The Stand as a pure read. As to impact on my life, there is no other. A 5 for this read.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first post in this thread goes, as tradition wills it:

You may base your vote on the 2003 revised version as well as the 1982 original. Please base your vote only on this book's own merits, not how it fits into the series as a whole.

I personally do not thing the books can be considered separately: I view the DT as a seven-volume-long novel, not a series. But since such has been our tradition all along, I have to judge The Gunslinger separately, and as such give it a 1... well ok, a 2, it isn't entirely without some redeeming features, although "I didn't like it" is how I would describe it.

As part of the big novel, though, it is perfect and would totally deserve a 5.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

For the same reasons that Bears stated above, I gave it a 5
    Not my favorite of the series by far but as part of the whole, it is the beginning........that to me is worth a 5+

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

Country
    Country Flag

wait, wait! we're not supposed to vote on part of the whole!..

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a standalone, I voted 3. There's not much character depth and the story you can tell was written by a young author trying something experimental.

Upon re-read, after having read the series, I liked it better but that's because I had come to know Roland and Jake so well.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one is easy to vote on based on its own merit, because most of us read this book first, obviously. So, based on my feelings after finishing the book, I'd say that I would rate that a four, which I did. I really enjoyed it, I didn't get a lack of depth etc that other have commented on. It was a solid and pretty exciting read.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a 2, I feel guilty I didn't give it a 1. The others books in the series affected my vote I guess. Only reason I continued the series (and loved it) was SK. Any other author and I would not have continued.
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's pretty harsh.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I gave it a 5. I genuinely enjoyed this book, and I started it without knowing it was part of a series....I tore through it. It was only the 3rd King book I read. It was awesome

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Loved it. The first few times I tried to read it, I just couldn't get it. The language. the setting, it was all different. And a bit much to absorb.
    When I finally got hooked on it, I appreciated it on a totally different level, perhaps it was just the perfect time in my life to read it. Anyway, I've read it many times since then.
    Changed my life.

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

it absolutely changed my life. What an impact, really...it's insane.

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    I gave it a 2, I feel guilty I didn't give it a 1. The others books in the series affected my vote I guess. Only reason I continued the series (and loved it) was SK. Any other author and I would not have continued.
    I say that and then realize my favorite signed book is my Gunslinger 1st/1st signed in person. Reason is even though I didn't like the book itself, it is my all time favorite series of any books, tv series or movies
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    That's pretty harsh.
    yes, but that's how bears too feel about it. I would have stopped in the middle had I not been in hospital with nothing else to read, and I would have never come back to it hadn't Alexander brought me volume 2 on the next day to the same hospital.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    There's not much character depth and the story you can tell was written by a young author trying something experimental.
    Yes, but a great experiment, mixing techniques and making a unique expression. And I don't need much character depth in every work. Work of fiction in general, I mean: I've no problem alternately viewing the different DT books as separate entities. Still love The Gunslinger.

ETA:
    And, Jean: I would guess that what Jon was saying about all that followed from reading this book was to underscore his genuine strong response at that time, not to substitute for the lack of any.
    Last edited by pathoftheturtle; 01-20-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: +

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I gave it a 4. I debated between 3 and 4 but I do think this book is slightly above average. I know it's the start of a greater series but it just barely scratches the surface as far as what's to come.

There are people I've tried to get interested in the DT books and I always tell them, it gets better with the second book.

Country
    Country Flag

Mike: I know; I was posting before Jon edited his post, not as a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    There are people I've tried to get interested in the DT books and I always tell them, it gets better with the second book.
    So do I. I actually tell them it gets much better - nothing like the first one.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely love this novel. Loved it from the first time I read it. I've gone through it probably a dozen times. True, it doesn't have the embellishments or the refined prose of the later novels, but I love this book for it's raw power and hints at something bigger lying beneath the surface. The shootout at Tull is probably one of my favorite segments from any book ever, and I love how it juggles the minimalistic sensibilites of a western film with the enigmatic elements of a sci-fi novel. It's the book that introduced me to one of my most cherished anti-heros, and the start of one of my favorite authors' magnum opus.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Mike: I know; I was posting before Jon edited his post, not as a reply.
    Okay, then. My bad.

feev: Not really a novel anyway; funny that this series of big novels started as a series of choppy stories. But if DT II is "refined prose" then I think I prefer the unrefined kind.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Its a strange one this, as a stand alone book i would say its a 3 - quite average.

AND YET..... I did want to know what became of the errant gunslinger and the dark man that he had chased across a desert. I voted 3 in this round, but it doesn't sit right, as i was mega excited when I saw the next book in the series. **shrugs shoulders** The law is the law though and i have to rate it alone

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My first "read" of this book was listening to Stephen King reading the book on audiocassette during an 775-mile drive back around 1991 or 1992. Nothing Compares 2 U, SK.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

3! A unique introduction to great character and series of books, but man oh man was this thing rough getting through. Almost ZERO character development. It felt like you just got thrown into the middle of the story, which I guess, is how you were supposed to feel. The writing and plotline was good, of course, but not one of the Man's best.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Jean. I will probably not vote for a single dark tower novel in these because it's really just one big novel released in volumes. As a whole it's it's his greatest work, I just feel because all the books complete their story and then transist into the next novel (except for Song of Susannah was really a novel full of transition) I can't view them as complete works. However the Gunsliger feels the most complete as a nice little stand alone novel.

I'm saving my votes for his stand alone novels. My favourite stand alone being Bag of Bones so that's what I'll be supporting!
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

I wish we would one day vote The Dark Tower as a novel. I wonder how it will compare to The Stand. I really really want to know this Battle Royale some time in the future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast