Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Something cool I noticed in my Dark Tower re-read

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Default Something cool I noticed in my Dark Tower re-read

So I'm doing a reread of the Sark Tower series and I think it's even better my second go around. For one It's cool to catch how Roland is thinking about the horn and also his fallen friends. After reading the last book reading those parts again really makes things that more interesting for me at least.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tatts4Life View Post
    So I'm doing a reread of the Sark Tower series and I think it's even better my second go around. For one It's cool to catch how Roland is thinking about the horn and also his fallen friends. After reading the last book reading those parts again really makes things that more interesting for me at least.
    Same with me!
    nearly finished WotC and you definitely notice those parts more second time around.

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes I am amped up even more the second go around.My senses are heightened as I become a fly on the wall in Midworld and it seems fitting to at least read the series two times.The man in black fled through the dessert,and the gunslinger followed was magical and mystical for me and I was all-in from that opening line till the last sentence of TDT my first time through.Now that line is on a whole new level!!!(of the tower)I feel like it's Christmas morning in Midworld for me.
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have read it 5 times, not to mention the "installment" re-reads over the years of publication. Still, the ending floored me at first, but re-reads after that put it all in perspective. I envy your youth and enthusiasm!!! Enjoy!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

5 times!You're a Dark Tower jedi!Maybe when I get into TDOT we can start to bounce some ideas around,I would love to hear your perspective.When it comes to baseball teams though I'm with the force and you're on the dark side...... In all seriousness though I resect the Yanks and we are DT kinfolk.
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Demon of the Prim Tatts4Life will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I have read it 5 times, not to mention the "installment" re-reads over the years of publication. Still, the ending floored me at first, but re-reads after that put it all in perspective. I envy your youth and enthusiasm!!! Enjoy!!!
    LOL I'll be starting my fourth re read of this series soon.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    5 times!You're a Dark Tower jedi!Maybe when I get into TDOT we can start to bounce some ideas around,I would love to hear your perspective.When it comes to baseball teams though I'm with the force and you're on the dark side...... In all seriousness though I resect the Yanks and we are DT kinfolk.
    I'd be very happy to discuss the volumes in the proper established threads. I have a "pet theory" regarding, Roland and the End, you might find interesting.

As far as the "Evil Empire" goes, the Sux owe more to their poor choices and top to bottom mismangement over the years, than to any "Evil Empire" theories. Oh and maybe the musical "No, No Nannette"!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I decided to wait until today to start.The 19th seemed too good to pass up.I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this the second time through.I burned through half the book this afternoon and have already had so many aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh ha moments.It's a long series but I love it and I really get the feeling a reread is essential even for a constant reader with very high reading comprehension.I'm going to see if I can finish the Gunslinger tonight.......can't sleep after that baseball game!Ya ken?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan79 View Post
    I decided to wait until today to start.The 19th seemed too good to pass up.I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this the second time through.I burned through half the book this afternoon and have already had so many aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh ha moments.It's a long series but I love it and I really get the feeling a reread is essential even for a constant reader with very high reading comprehension.I'm going to see if I can finish the Gunslinger tonight.......can't sleep after that baseball game!Ya ken?
    Appropriate indeed!! You are not helping us to interact with remarks aimed at the "Evil Empire"!! LOL LOL However, since you are new I will grant a one time only "Pass". After that, you are on your own and in hostile territory when it comes to me!! LOL (sort of, pending future relations) LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

I finished yesterday and although I agree with the decision for sai King to revise the first it does take a bit away from the mystical foreshadowing he achieves in this book.It is a page turner with a lot of interesting characters and awe inspiring settings that grab hold of my imagination(ironic when you think of our protagonist)and wisk me away back to Midworld with familiar ease.I really enjoy the palaver between the man in black and Roland after the slow mutants.I have had many existential palavers around many campfires until the wee hours of the morning long before I read this chapter and I honestly forgot how cool that part was.I especially like the baby chick in the egg metaphor when talking about reaching the end of time and space.I have had that exact epiphany with a friend of mine and I am going to have him read at least that chapter and mayhap the whole series if his attention permits it. Jake....my little buddy Jake.It was great to see him again in my minds eye and thank Ka that there are "other worlds than these" or that moment had potential to ruin the entire series to me and it still seems odd that Roland would so blindly trust the man in black but Ka was at work and Ka is a wheel.

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

I am about to re-read the Gunslinger tonight. Just finished Wizard and Glass last night and wont have my hands on Wind through the keyhole until tomorrow. I have the original version of The Gunslinger. Should I be reading the revised version for better understanding or is it not that important?

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    I am about to re-read the Gunslinger tonight. Just finished Wizard and Glass last night and wont have my hands on Wind through the keyhole until tomorrow. I have the original version of The Gunslinger. Should I be reading the revised version for better understanding or is it not that important?
    The revised has many references to future books that were not. I would read the revised, if it were me.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Read the revised.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I prefer the original. Just me.

John

Unfortunately I only have the original. I read it last night. And I am glad I did. Although I plan on reading the revised (probably on my next go around of the series), I did take away a lot more my second time around. It was nice to already have some back story from the Wizard and Glass to help me better rationalize some of Roland's decision making as he made his way through Tull and closer to the man in black. I am going to start Wind through the Keyhole tonight. My goal is to finish the series in the next month or two (I have a 2 year old and a very pregnant wife so my reading time is going to he diminished severely in the next few weeks when the baby comes).

Quick question.. In the revised version does Roland recognize Sheb?

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Quick question.. In the revised version does Roland recognize Sheb?
    Yes he does, although the meeting is brief.

spoiler alert
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Gunslinger Apprentice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien is just really nice Johnny Alien's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually find the revised to be more confusing as the 2-4 books are still based on the original text not the revised. The Man in Black/Walter thing is the most specific issue I have.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Yeah, I didn't like the overabundance of foreshadowing in the revised version of The Gunslinger.

Thanks Stroppygoblin. I was wondering what the interaction was like after the revision. Have just finished Wizard and reading The Gunslinger last night it was on my mind. That and Sylvia Pittiston, I know she was mentioned in Wizard and Glass but only briefly.

Along the Path of the Beam SpyGuy will become famous soon enough SpyGuy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I did not even look at the revised edition until I had read the entire series (including Wind Through The Keyhole) first. My journey started with the original book, went through all the books in order (with WTTK in its proper place at 4.5, after W&G), and ended with the revised edition. To me, it just made more sense that way.

+ Reply to Thread