Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If you could ask King anything about the Dark Tower series...

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default If you could ask King anything about the Dark Tower series...

Post your questions here. Can't guarantee they'll be answered. I'm curious to see what people would ask if they had the chance.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is there any significance to the fact that, other than the word "The", four titles of the eight Dark Tower books have started with the letter "W"? None of his other books do, but maybe it's just a coincidence.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd ask,

Spoiler:
    "Was dropping Jake under the mountain the reason Roland had to loop again. or was it some thing additional as well or totally different altogether"?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I would ask "With your publishing an 8th Dark Tower novel are you re-considering re-writing other books in the series? If so, which ones and is this something you're going to be doing soon?"
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

And when can we expect another Jack Sawyer book?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

What a great thread.
    'Which was the hardest part to write? Emotionally or technically.'

Roland would have understood.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

Who was the "best" character to write and who was the most difficult (in the DT series)?

"Head Clear. Mouth shut. See Much. Say little." Roland Deschain

"Go your way, I'll take the long way 'round. Ill find my own way down, as I should." Ben Howard

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

mild DT7 spoiler

Spoiler:
    when he was writing the Drawing of the Three, with Detta's special place - The Drawers - did he already know that later on there would be a moment of actual drawing, with a pencil? How much of those extremely fortunate mythology-forming words are a product of luck, mere chance, or happy coincidence?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Can we expect the 8th Dark Tower novel to be the last direct tie to Roland and his ka-tet?

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I want to ask about the Low Men in Yellow Coats and Devor-Toi (Blue Heaven) that appeared in DT7. Since the battle with Roland and his Ka-tet, are the Low Men beaten or Destroyed? Will anymore breakers be taken? Will anymore children be brought to Blue Heaven to have their brains sucked out? Are the Low Men still a threat? (I hope not!) Could the Low Men ever "make a comeback" and start kidnapping innocent children again? Could the Low Men show up in other levels of reality or the Dark Tower?

Gunslinger Apprentice RolandLover will become famous soon enough RolandLover will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

Is is considering writing another DTseries where according to DT7 things will be different for Roland since he has the horn of the Eld?

Gunslinger Apprentice mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman has a spectacular aura about mtdman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angry
    Country
    Country Flag

Would he ever consider writing a tie-in story about the other side of the Dark tower, or along the path of the other beams?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm curious about the lads from 'Through the eyes of the Dragon' who were referenced Drawing of the Three.
    Spoiler:
    It was stated in one of the afterwords that we would probably see them again in the later books, yet we never did. I mainly wonder what happened when Roland first encountered them chasing Flagg, and curious as to why King changed his minds about including them later.

Another question occurs (I know we're only supposed to have one) but I'm curious about the fact that Patrick was supposedly meant to save two men. Is this something that happened in his adventures before he ended up in Dandelo's bread and board, or did King originally intend
    Spoiler:
    Eddie to survive instead of Susannah? Or were the little Doctors (the little bald guys with the scissors, not the singing bugs) as asexuals being unable to tell the significant difference between men and women?

*To be fair I think I already know the answer to this, -
    Spoiler:
    there just was no place for them in the end.
    - but I'd be interested in reading King's thoughts on this.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Regarding your question regarding Insomnia, I've always considered that book to be metaphorical rather than a literal Dark Tower book. There's a lot that the Crimson King does that doesn't make any sense in the context of what we later learn about him. According to DT7, it contains messages from King to himself--or to Roland--and is thus symbolic. That's my take, anyway.

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I would love to ask Mr. King what his initial plans for Randall Flagg were after he finished up Wizard and Glass. Second, I would be curious to know if, after finishing Wizard and Glass, he originally intended for Book V to take place entirely in Thunderclap.

Gunslinger Apprentice noal will become famous soon enough noal will become famous soon enough noal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would he ever consider writing about Gilead in its glory days or about the old ones(or great old ones)?

Fantastic idea for a thread by the way!
    They made us many promises, more than I can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they did.

Red Cloud

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I know there's a separate thread for it, but what is the exact reason why Roland and Cuthbert scatter the bread crumbs at Hax's feet?! I feel like I almost grasp the symbolism to it, but can't feel certain about every explanation I come up with.

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

I really enjoyed the Revised edition of The Gunslinger and think its an improvement over the original. It also addressed the contradiction of Farson being refered to as both a town and a man. Another such contradiction occurs in the 3rd DT book (The Waste lands) in a scene where Roland and his Ka-tet are discussing his palavar with Walter. At one point, Roland mentions the Beast and Susannah muses that she's heard about Maerlyn but doesn't recognise this Beast. In future editions, would this ever be changed to bring it in line with the rest of the series? (Change references to The Beast to references of the Crimson King?)

I would be interested to know whether future Dark Tower mythos stories (short stories akin to Ur or stories akin to Black House) might still be written if inspiration strikes?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tik View Post
    I really enjoyed the Revised edition of The Gunslinger and think its an improvement over the original. It also addressed the contradiction of Farson being refered to as both a town and a man. Another such contradiction occurs in the 3rd DT book (The Waste lands) in a scene where Roland and his Ka-tet are discussing his palavar with Walter. At one point, Roland mentions the Beast and Susannah muses that she's heard about Maerlyn but doesn't recognise this Beast. In future editions, would this ever be changed to bring it in line with the rest of the series? (Change references to The Beast to references of the Crimson King?)

I would be interested to know whether future Dark Tower mythos stories (short stories akin to Ur or stories akin to Black House) might still be written if inspiration strikes?
    Considering TWTTKH has just been released I would say there's a good chance he visits TDT world again in the future in some way, shape or form.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice BigSchu22 is on a distinguished road BigSchu22's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I would ask King if he pays attention to or considers forums like these when writing any of his stories. I don't think this forum existed when DT7 was published, but it would be interesting to see if he has any idea of the vast amount of knowledge contained here. I know he said that he referred to the companion novel that was written about the series sometimes so that he could keep track of it all. Perhaps in the future he might or could use a forum such as this?

Orson Scott Card specifically asked members of one of his forums to help him when he was writing later books in the Enderverse becuase some of them took place at earlier times in the series, like TWTTKH and he couldnt be bothered to re-read all of his own novels. He also knew that his fans would have a lot better/fresher insight into the serires. This forum could be a great reference for King if he continues to write more DT books!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BigSchu22 View Post
    ... I know he said that he referred to the companion novel that was written about the series sometimes so that he could keep track of it all. ...
    Are you talking about this book? --

The forums before this, existing before DT7 was published, were @ www.thedarktower.net
    But after all, comparatively, Orson Scott Card is a little corny sometimes.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSchu22 View Post
    ... I know he said that he referred to the companion novel that was written about the series sometimes so that he could keep track of it all. ...
    Are you talking about this book? --

The forums before this, existing before DT7 was published, were @ www.thedarktower.net
    But after all, comparatively, Orson Scott Card is a little corny sometimes.
    Why, yes it is that book!

Yeah, I'm not saying OSC is on the same level as King, but that he did leverage forums to make his later novels in the series better. Good idea for King either way I think.

The companion book (Robin Furth's Concordance) was created specifically for him to refer to while he worked on the final three books. It wasn't originally intended for publication.

He couldn't have referred to my book since it was published at the same time as DT7 (although he had a copy of the manuscript before that -- but DT7 was already written in first draft by then).

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I have your book as well as the Concordance on my Amazon wishlist, your avatar is so small that regrettably, I confused the two. Those are of course great references for King, but the forums tend to be more dynamic and King could ask specific questions or thoughts as OSC did, that's all I'm saying -- not to put down your work as I intend to add it to my own collection.

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

In fact, I'm buying your book now, Bev.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast