Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The road to the 2011-2012 Oscars !

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The road to the 2011-2012 Oscars !

Who are your picks for this years Oscars ?

I'm fairly certain David Fincher will be nominated for his work in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, the film seems to be picking up a lot of pre-release steam. Nicholas Winding Refn will most likely be nominated for his latest effort, Drive (he deserves it too).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Michael Fassbender nominated for Shame, Ryan Gosling for Drive, and maybe Joseph Gordon Levitt for 50/50.

I'm positive Michelle Williams will be nomianted for her role as the famed starlet Marilyn Monroe in My Week With Marylin, possibly Rooney Mara for TGWTDT.

I need to see a list of nominees for technical awards to make predictions.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

YEEESS! Best time of the year.

I'm hoping My Week With Marilyn and J. Edgar are nominated for Best Picture so I can see them in the AMC Showcase this year.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't watched a single new movie this year.

Okay, folks! I'm sorry to say that feev won't be with us anymore cause his head just exploded trying to process my above statement.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I didn't care for J. Edgar, sorry. I am an Eastwood and Dicaprio admirer but I found the film too disjointed, and it just didn't work for me.

My nominees for best picture (so far) would be:

HUGO in 3D (Absoulutely LOVED this movie)
    LIMITLESS
    THE BEAVER
    KILL THE IRISHMAN
    HANNA
    MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
    CARS 2 in 3D
    THE TREE OF LIFE (?) - maybe
    RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES
    COLOMBIANA
    DRIVE (maybe)

A weird list , I know, but I liked 'em! I stress the 3D aspects because I think they added a new depth to the movies (no pun intended). And I know for a fact most of these won't even be considered.
    I'm still mad that INCEPTION didn't win best picture last year. I taped the Oscars and STILL haven't watched it.

MY WEEK WITH MARILYN hasn't shown yet around here.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice Flygrl is on a distinguished road Flygrl's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked Hanna but did you think it was very strange like I did?
    Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Havent seen very many movies this year. I think the one I enjoyed the most was Arthur Christmas. Dont expect it to win any awards, but I usually dont like the award winning movies.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

So I can guarantee you most of those movies you listed 2ndbiggestfan will not be nominated. As for Inception, The King's Speech was the right choice to win.
    I can't go on much for acting except for what I've heard so I'll stick to what I assume will be nominated for Best Picture:

Hugo
    J. Edgar
    A Dangerous Method
    The Descendants

Don't know much of the scar buzz at this point, will get more involved in January

I see multiple oppourtunities for Fassbender to get nominated; Jane Eyre, Shame and A Dangerous Method could all work.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Artist seems to be picking up a lot of pre Oscar buzz. It has an 8.4 over on IMDB.

The Descendants seems to have a healthy following as well, but I read the premise and it doesn't really interest me ... we'll see.

And yes, Fassbender has to be nominated for something. The guy has been phenomenal this year.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    The Artist seems to be picking up a lot of pre Oscar buzz. It has an 8.4 over on IMDB.
    I just looked up the trailer. I need to see this!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Check out The Descendants Feev; you can't go wrong with both Clooney and Alexander Payne involved.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll add it to my list. I usually end up seeing all of the award nominated films anyway, don't see why I can't fast track this one.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hopefully after this dismal year at the box office Hollywood will get smart and do what they did in the 70's and start throwing money at people who want to make very good movies instead of the tripe we've been seeing. Some of the biggest blockbusters recently have come from very good directors like Nolan and Fincher.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm hoping that Nolan breaks away from his comfort zone and does a non-blockbuster character driven drama. I admire versatility and I would love for him to do something akin to The Social Network or The King's Speech, especially with his brand of cinematic flair.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure he'll go back to his roots eventually. And I'll be anxiously awaiting that shit.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm hoping Melancholia gets some recognition. Mindblowing.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I heard it was very well done.

Unfortunately though, Lars Von Trier is on a lot of people's black lists so don't expect the academy to make too big a fuss out of the film

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I'm hoping that Nolan breaks away from his comfort zone and does a non-blockbuster character driven drama.
    Yes, please.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think the closest we had to a character driven movie Fernando from Nolan was The Prestige, at least from what I've seen of his work so far. (Which reminds me: I still need to watch and analyse his earlier works Following and Memento. Definitely need to add them to my Lovefilm list!) I really thought that was a brilliant work that really focused on the characters and their obsessions. It's why I kinda have a problem with the ending, if I'm honest - compared to the rest of the character driven film, it almost felt out of place to me. Idk, I'll have to watch it again and write some thoughts on it soon.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I think the closest we had to a character driven movie Fernando from Nolan was The Prestige ...
    Yeah, definitely. With the exception of that though, I'd like to see him try his hand at something that doesn't involve guns or super natural elements of any sort.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been meaning to get to see The Descendants. I hear it could get nominated. Clooney is also getting a lot of buzz along with the girl who plays his oldest daughter. I'm sure there will also be a few acting nominations for The Help. It seems like The Artist is getting a lot of buzz. I can't picture myself going to see this, but you never know.

I'm very interested to see how many of the nominated films I get to see this year. Last year I saw all 10 nominees and I thought that was great.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I almost forgot. Brad Pitt for Moneyball. He did a great job.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

You don't want to see The Artist? I thought it looked good. I'm hoping it comes somewhere around here.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    You don't want to see The Artist? I thought it looked good. I'm hoping it comes somewhere around here.
    I do want to see it. I just never pictured myself going to the movies to see a black & white silent film.

Oh

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I might have to watch The Descendants out of sheer curiosity. It's poised to win a few awards come award season and I want to be able to judge it for myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast