Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halloween Scary Movies: Rate your top five all time...............

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Halloween Scary Movies: Rate your top five all time...............

Since Halloween is upon us may be cool, and informative for those late night "Scare-a-thons" to post your top five scariest movies of all time. One rule, they must be supernatural related flicks. No "slasher" films or "thrillers". Gotta be an "Other-worldly" premise.

I'll start:

1. The Exorcist
    2. Halloween (Original)
    3. The Omen (Original)
    4. Night of the Living Dead (Original)
    5. The Shining (Made for TV version)
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

since we are specifically talking about the scariest, not just the best, I'll have to omit Pontypool and a couple of others I love... here are the scariest:

1. El orfanato
    2. The Dark
    3. The Others
    4. The Blair Witch Project (the original)
    5. Madhouse

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't the "Scariest" move the best of the scary movies? Did I miss something? Distinctly possible given my age and proclivity for literalism. Or is it the exclusion of non-supernatural related flicks that prompted your response? As always, "Alfred" I respect your thoughts and opinions.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George Steinbrenner View Post
    Isn't the "Scariest" move the best of the scary movies?
    This is a good question and one I don't have a ready answer for. On the one hand, yes, what's the point of a horror movie if it is not scary? On the other, some of my favorite horrors - such as Who Can Kill a Child, Escalofrio, Pontypool or The Last Exorcism are not really scary, they are just - interesting, thoroughbly enjoyable, well developed, directed and acted; in other words, just good films. Also, such a film as Madhouse, which scared me shitless (there were a couple of moments I still do not want to remember when the light is off, and I watched it some three years ago...), is not a really good movie, it has a silly story, and all the rest of what there is to it is pretty average.

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

1. Event Horizon(sci-fi-ish, but one of the few movies to legitimately creep me the fuck out in many years.)
    2. Pet Sematary(That kid playing Gage is creepy as shit).
    3. Paranormal Activity(these movies seem to get a bad rep, but I think they are quite creepy, especially the first one)
    4. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth(I pick this one because it highlights Pinhead at his creepiest and he has some chilling lines in it like: "Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, Joey, and its sound is like razors through flesh....Oh come, you can hear its faint echo right now. I'm here to turn up the volume. To press the stinking face of humanity into the dark blood of its own secret heart. ")
    5. Phantasm(a bit corny at some points, but The Tall Man really messed with me as a kid).
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

never heard of Phantasm, have looked it up. Sounds like something I might want to watch

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
    never heard of Phantasm, have looked it up. Sounds like something I might want to watch
    If you have trouble finding a copy, someone has uploaded it to youtube in 9 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FblaGd7nEEY (the first part)
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Country
    Country Flag

thank you!

thank you!
    Most welcome. I will warn you, though...in the parts where it is corny, it is super corny, but The Tall Man still creeps me out to this day for some reason. He made me very wary of morticians as a kid.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In no particular order:

1) Into the Mouth of Madness
    2) Event Horizon
    3) Lord Of Illusions Prince of Darkness
    4) Jacobs Ladder
    5) Flatliners

P.S. Here is a co-winner in my top five because it scared my spitless in my youth...Gargoyles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Kz6G8174w

P.P.S. I'm amending my list to include Prince of Darkness and exclude Lord Of Illusions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    In no particular order:

1) Into the Mouth of Madness
    2) Event Horizon
    3) Lord Of Illusions
    4) Jacobs Ladder
    5) Flatliners

P.S. Here is a co-winner in my top five because it scared my spitless in my youth...Gargoyles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59Kz6G8174w
    Oh man, how about that part with the eyes in Event Horizon?

Also. I forgot about Jacob's Ladder or it might have made mjy list. I can hardly watch this scene:

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Oh man, how about that part with the eyes in Event Horizon?
    That entire movie always give's me the willies.

Quote Originally Posted by OchrisO View Post
    Also. I forgot about Jacob's Ladder or it might have made mjy list. I can hardly watch this scene:
    Neither can I...but for some strange reason I cannot turn away.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

1. The Shining (no matter how many times I watch it, it still creeps me out)
    2. Paranormal Activity
    3. Ils (aka Them)
    4. The Fourth Kind
    5. The Others

Like Jean, these aren't my top horror films. But they're the ones to scare me the most.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

No "slasher" films

2. Halloween (Original)

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad to see all this love for Event Horizon. That's one of the few films that still manages to creep me out , even after all these years and multiple viewings.

In no particular order

1. Event Horizon
    2. The Shining
    3. Phantoms (Dean Koontz)
    4. The Others
    5. The Thing

Country
    Country Flag

Heather : Ils doesn't seem to answer the requirement - it has no supernatural constituent. Or else I would have included it too... it is scary like hell.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I know, but I was struggling to come up with 5 And it scared me so I included it.

Also what Madhouse were you referring to? I just watched one the other week, is it the same? It's the 2004 one, where a student is working at a mental institution, and people begin to die.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

In no particular order...

The Ring (I haven't seen Ringu, even though everyone says it is scarier... have to see it)
    Halloween
    Candyman
    The Thing
    Jaws (OK, no supernatural, but that shark is f--king scary)
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't the "Scariest" move the best of the scary movies?
    This is a good question and one I don't have a ready answer for. On the one hand, yes, what's the point of a horror movie if it is not scary? On the other, some of my favorite horrors - such as Who Can Kill a Child, Escalofrio, Pontypool or The Last Exorcism are not really scary, they are just - interesting, thoroughbly enjoyable, well developed, directed and acted; in other words, just good films. Also, such a film as Madhouse, which scared me shitless (there were a couple of moments I still do not want to remember when the light is off, and I watched it some three years ago...), is not a really good movie, it has a silly story, and all the rest of what there is to it is pretty average.
    Right, and especially when you ask for "Halloween Scary Movies" I don't think of Halloween Scary as being of the same point as what we might call Horrorshow Scary.
    Yeah, it's a campy classic. Great as example of 1970s American movie genre.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't heard of Phantasm either ....

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I've still yet to watch a horror movie that scared me. A few have done a good job at creeping me out. But if this is a list of horror movies we love watching at Halloween it would be:

1. The Thing
    2. The Shining
    3. Halloween (Not the crapfest that Zombie made)
    4. The Evil Dead
    5. Dawn of the Dead (2004)
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
    You haven't either?!

I was actually going to watch it the other day, but then opted for something else. I might just watch it later tonight now after all this talk about it.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Black Swan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
    You haven't either?!
    What Swan said! I've never watched it, but even I know what the Tall Man looks like and why you need to beware of his balls!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

great lists. think of one that are supernatural later
    If you love me then love me..

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If we can only include supernatural-related films, I can only say:

1. Pet Sematary
    2. Insidious
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast