Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HOW TO: Remove Stickers from Books

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I went ahead and moved this thread to the Collecting Tutorials.
    I aslo changed the name to Sticker Removal Tips.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Update:

Tried the Goo-Gone (because I happened to be in Home Depot and saw some on the shelf) and the sticker came off with no problem, and as far as I can tell no visible damage to the book.

Thanks for the help, everyone!
    Glad you found a solution, Daghain.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I went ahead and moved this thread to the Collecting Tutorials.
    I aslo changed the name to Sticker Removal Tips.
    Thanks, Jerome. I changed the name slightly to fit the theme of the subforum.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thanks, Jerome. I changed the name slightly to fit the theme of the subforum.
    I don't like that.
    The names are too uniform and make too much sense.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm glad I finished reading that post
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

(at Jerome and at Matt)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I just saw this forum. Great idea, all three threads are very helpful!
    Geoff

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I totally love this thing.

I am hoping we can come up with some other relevant threads to stick in here.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

my 2 cents... always worked well for me.

a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a rag, then gently rub the area. takes glue,dirt, etc off without harming the cover. the alcohol then evaporates leaving no smell or greasy spot like goo sometimes does. the higher the alcohol content the better- rubbing alcohol works, but the higher grade stuff used to clean phonograph needles is better (i'm a part-time dj so that's what i use).
    when i worked at safeway in the early 80's, when all the grocey items were still priced with stickers or ink...we did price changes using hairspray to remove the stickers and ink. hairspay is mostly alcohol...which is why this worked, and where i got the idea to try it on my books.
    works great and i personally have had no problems doing it this way.

ooops...that was more than 2 cents... i need change.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    when i worked at safeway in the early 80's, when all the grocey items were still priced with stickers or ink...we did price changes using hairspray to remove the stickers and ink.
    Back when we used to price mark things. The good old days. I still remember marking frozen food with a Garvey, and the extra heavy ink for frozen stuff.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I was worried about the Goo Gone ruining the book. Putting a piece of plastic between the cover and the pages kept the pages themselves from getting wet, and I didn't see any residue.

I will say, though, I have found 1001 uses for that stuff. I just got a bunch of RTA furniture that is all labeled with little stickers so you know which piece goes where, and it took them right off, no residue.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    when i worked at safeway in the early 80's, when all the grocey items were still priced with stickers or ink...we did price changes using hairspray to remove the stickers and ink.
    Back when we used to price mark things. The good old days. I still remember marking frozen food with a Garvey, and the extra heavy ink for frozen stuff.
    i had the fastest marker gun in the west... and nobody was faster with a set of price sticks than me. Frozen food sucked though.. would always have blue hands by the time a truck was marked/stocked.
    wasn't the advent of scanners great..... until they eliminated my job.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I find that my a sliver of pine works best.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've just recieved Frank Darabont's book... unfortunately, (as i wanted the cheapest book possible) it is an ex-library copy, and that includes, you know the godamms stickers and the worst is, the anti-theft stuff...

any tips for getting rid of it?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I've just recieved Frank Darabont's book... unfortunately, (as i wanted the cheapest book possible) it is an ex-library copy, and that includes, you know the godamms stickers and the worst is, the anti-theft stuff...

any tips for getting rid of it?
    Everyone probably has their favorite technique, so I'll bet you get lots of answers.

I start with a hair dryer on medium heat. Oftentimes the heat loosens the glue underneath the sticker so that you can carefully peel it off.

I've had a lot of luck with wallpaper paste remover. You can get it at any paint store. I just saturate a cotton ball with it and carefully rub until the sticker is gone. So far I have never damaged a dust jacket doing that and been able to remove most all of the stickers I have tried it on.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thanks for those answers!
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

What about on dust jackets? It seems like most of the responses thus far were for paperback books.

I've got a 1st Edition copy of New Spring (Wheel of Time series) that I picked up recently on the cheap at a Borders in their clearance section. But being a clearance book, it's got this large 2" diameter spot of old sticker residue where someone peeled off a large promo sticker at some point, and it now appears to have become a permanent fixture on the jacket.

Now the Wheel of Time DJ's are of a very high gloss variety, so I think I can be a little more aggressive with this. Thoughts?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by bast_imret View Post
    What about on dust jackets? It seems like most of the responses thus far were for paperback books.

Now the Wheel of Time DJ's are of a very high gloss variety, so I think I can be a little more aggressive with this. Thoughts?
    Wallpaper paste remover. Get it at your local paint store (like a Sherwin Williams). Pour a small amount on a cotton ball and start rubbing gently at first and then a little harder as you become more confident that you aren't hurting anything. It will take several minutes but I think it will eventually work. I have used this technique many times including removing library stickers from CARRIE dust jackets, etc. It has not failed for me yet.

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Thanks Bob, I'll keep an eye out for some.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Has any tried, and if so, have any luck removing stickers from the inside face of the front board. I picked up several books that have a "From the library of..." sticker inside the book and I am trying to come up with a way to remove it with little to no damage to the board. At first look the glue seems to be holding pretty well, I can't just peel it off. any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyD023 View Post
    Has any tried, and if so, have any luck removing stickers from the inside face of the front board. I picked up several books that have a "From the library of..." sticker inside the book and I am trying to come up with a way to remove it with little to no damage to the board. At first look the glue seems to be holding pretty well, I can't just peel it off. any suggestions would be appreciated.
    First off, try any method on a worthless book.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

I wish Bob was still around. I'd like to ask him how he figured out the wallpaper paste remover trick. I have a bit of background in chemistry and it seems like something a chemist would think to do ...

Country
    Country Flag

I will need to share some close pictures later on, but.... any tips to get rid of library stickers that are under plastic, that seems thermically stuck on the covers?
    Is that even possible?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I will need to share some close pictures later on, but.... any tips to get rid of library stickers that are under plastic, that seems thermically stuck on the covers?
    Is that even possible?
    The pics might help.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Along the Path of the Beam Herbie_Marsten is on a distinguished road Herbie_Marsten's Avatar

You can also cover the residue with scotch tape

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2