Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Remove Stickers from Books

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Remove Stickers from Books

This is probably a stupid question, but how the hell do you get a "sticky" sticker off a paperback without damaging it? I bought a copy of The Colorado Kid at the local used bookstore (this was a new copy) and although the one on the front came off with no problem, the one on the back is a sticky mother and will only come off in pieces, and leaves a residue behind. If I'd known that I would have purchased it on Amazon (no sticker!) but since I have the book I'd like to see if I can get the annoying sucker off. Suggestions?

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Tear the book cover around the sticker. Or better still fire will get it off. Gasoline works too. Or Draino....just dont wash it off the sticker will be gone in no time.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Brice. That's a lot of help.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It will also get rid of those pesky words on the paper.

Seriously, there are ways. I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, at least you got me to laugh.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad I could help.

If you rescue me

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only thing I can think of is a hair dryer. Crank up the heat and melt the glue. That shouldn't harm the book, at least I dont think so...

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

lighter fluid usually works really well. just dip a soft cloth in some, and hold it over the sticker. this will reduce the integrity of the gum. you can slowly peel it off. if there's any sticker residue left over, use the cloth with lighter fluid to gently rub it away.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Gunslinger Apprentice Sai Joshua is on a distinguished road Sai Joshua's Avatar

I just use hot water and a washrag, just don't over wet the rag and then make sure you wipe any excess moisture off quickly. Most paperbacks have a waxy substance on the cover anyway, so you have a little time to get something off is you spill it.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I still like Brices Idea

There's a product called "Goo-Gone" that's available at stores like target, walmart, etc. I wouldn't use it on a dustjacket, but it should be OK on paperback covers, as they're coated with a plasticky material.

Don't spray on the book itself, spray the stuff onto a paper towel and then rub that on the cover.

Hope that helps,

Tomas
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I've heard of that stuff. I'll have to see if I can find some. Thanks!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In order of least dangerous I would say
    1. Blow dryer.
    2. Gentle rubbing with a dry thumb of residue left over. Often it will ball up and come off the book.
    3. SMALL amounts of Goo Gone, as SKCollector described using it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This should be a candidate for the "how to" forum.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I can't imagine I'm the only person who's ever had this problem.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Randall Flagg.

John

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I hadn't thought of a blow drier. Hmmm...

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    The only thing I can think of is a hair dryer. Crank up the heat and melt the glue. That shouldn't harm the book, at least I dont think so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Daghain
    I hadn't thought of a blow drier. Hmmm...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

You said "hair dryer" not "blow dryer"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

See?

It's been a very long day.

Watch me try it and set the damn book on fire.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I use a product called un-du adhesive remover

Just do a search on google and you'll get a bunch or responses. I love the product it works fantastic with removing stickers, and I've been using it for a couple of years. If you are careful it'll even remove price tags that are on the first page (paper).

Anyway if you look at a picture it has a lip which you use to scrape the price tag. I use this on used books bought at local stores and after using this product you'll never notice the sticker was ever there. I highly recommend it!
    Geoff

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of that!

*skips off to look*

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that sounds great

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Update:

Tried the Goo-Gone (because I happened to be in Home Depot and saw some on the shelf) and the sticker came off with no problem, and as far as I can tell no visible damage to the book.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

ETA: I DID put a piece of plastic between the back cover and the rest of the book, so I wouldn't get the pages wet. Put on the Goo Gone with a soft cloth, rubbed gently, waited a minute or so, and picked that sucker right off. Took a damp soft cloth and wiped the residue off. The back cover looked wet around the edges, but once it dried, I could not see any visible damage anywhere. Total score!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast